Running Speed?

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I don't know why it's not there; whether it's hidden, removed or just set at a base level for every player. But I have never found it to be of any use in previous games. I spent ages on Ashes tweaking skills. The solution for physical ones, because they seemingly make so little difference, was to just set them all the same. So, if that's what's been done for this game, it would make perfect sense to me.

Perks allow physical abilities to go up or down. And other than in extreme instances, like Gayle, does it really make much difference in a cricket game? I could see how it would in football or rugby, where the pace of two players might be in direct competition. But I'm not looking to see which playing is in a fielding position to risk a single to them or try a two. Even if pace or speed was there I wouldn't. Others might, but I doubt it'd add more to the game.

I've definitely found it to make a difference. Right now I have a Sri Lankan side where two of the top four batsmen run a fair bit slower, one has seemingly standard sort've speed and one is very fast. I've had in T20's and shorter matches, several times where one batsman has crossed and almost completed the first run fairly quickly, I've gone for two, but the other batsman is slow and if I'd paid attention and not taken the second, I wouldn't have been run out at his end. On other occasions, I've had to turn down doubles, threes etc, due to caution.

With faster batsmen I've had situations where a slow chase to the boundary (and a tap-back) by a fielder has meant that I've run three, but in identical situations with two faster batsmen I've run four.

This obviously has an effect on the final score of the game, can causes run-outs, can have you praising your speedy batsmen, whilst cursing your slow ones for run-outs, missed runs etc.

Leaving stuff like this out of our control when creating players is why the fielding game doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

fezza

Club Captain
I suspect they've deliberately created slower fielders and fast batsmen so people can push for ones in one-day games. In previous BA games it was sometimes very difficult to get singles with the field up, leading to player frustration. Bottom line is that the batsman doesn't really have enough finesse shots to guide the ball into gaps in the way you can do in real cricket - hence this gaming compromise.

It is a shame as it reduces the individuality of player skills. When I'm playing (real cricket) I always make a mental note of the fielders I feel I can 'take on' in marginal run chases before going out to bat. It is essential in league limited overs cricket.

One partial solution is not to use the batsman sprint button and maximize fielder performance in the editor. I try to make sure all my edited players have good ground fielding skills and good accurate throwing.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I suspect they've deliberately created slower fielders and fast batsmen so people can push for ones in one-day games. In previous BA games it was sometimes very difficult to get singles with the field up, leading to player frustration. Bottom line is that the batsman doesn't really have enough finesse shots to guide the ball into gaps in the way you can do in real cricket - hence this gaming compromise.

It is a shame as it reduces the individuality of player skills. When I'm playing (real cricket) I always make a mental note of the fielders I feel I can 'take on' in marginal run chases before going out to bat. It is essential in league limited overs cricket.

One partial solution is not to use the batsman sprint button and maximize fielder performance in the editor. I try to make sure all my edited players have good ground fielding skills and good accurate throwing.

I've certainly been going through and editing all the International level players that have one bar (20%!!!) fielding stats. I've been making the minimum for those guys 3 bars, but throwing accuracy and speed are usually four bars, with maybe some smaller pieces added. Makes the game much better, less loopy throws too. Multiplayer with friends has had it's fielding improve quite a lot.

Still, having individual batsman running speed would help a bit, even if there were just five bars of adjustment and no sub-bar pieces, if that helped them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread