SA20 | Total domination by the now two-time champions!

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I adore how the commentary set-up is just Mark Nicholas and AB de Villiers sat on garden chairs in the middle of the crowd
Post automatically merged:

Well I doubt we'll see much more of Wihan Lubbe this tournament. That was awful

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Looks like since Indian owners bought the franchise, they have advised all players to play like Indians...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
$9 for entire SA20 is decent on ICC.tv.

ABD calling Cape Town team as Mumbai Indians Cape Town :facepalm:lol:lol

Its disappointing that the SA20 is not baked into either Willow or ESPN+. But yeah - $9 is a good deal for a new league and I have bought it.

MI Cape Town is stupid. They had to connect the name to the IPL name and since the IPL name is so country specific (Mumbai and India are both connected very specifically to India), they are forced to use an India specific name for a foreign league.

Waiting for tomorrow's game featuring the Joburg Super Kings. :cheers:clap

Aislabie

Ireland
MI Cape Town is stupid. They had to connect the name to the IPL name and since the IPL name is so country specific (Mumbai and India are both connected very specifically to India), they are forced to use an India specific name for a foreign league.
A smarter way of doing it would have been something like "Cape Town Mzansi"

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Its disappointing that the SA20 is not baked into either Willow or ESPN+. But yeah - $9 is a good deal for a new league and I have bought it.

Waiting for tomorrow's game featuring the Joburg Super Kings. :cheers:clap
I thought Willow or ESPN would defo have it. $9 is not bad though.

The lack of creativity from IPL just now shows up in SA20 with the team names and logos. Atleast the atmosphere and stadium look so much more better right now!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
The hitting by Brevis is next level. MI Cape Town look so strong on paper. I absolutely love how like many other sports, there are commentators and presenters in between crowd, talking to them and commentating from the ground.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Brevis is soooo good, he deserves a place in national team. Some of the great talents are in the league, but due to same jerseys and ipl team names, it feels like watching EFL Championship/First division match, it's not a disrespect, really enjoyed MI cape town batting, atleast they should changed jersey or team names.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
"Mankad" penalty runs - If a batter is caught out of his crease at the non-striker's end before the ball is bowled, five penalty runs should be awarded to the fielding side. This would remove the hoo-ha that occurs whenever a batter is dismissed this way, while also empowering bowlers who might previously have felt it to be "cheap" or "not in the spirit" to take matters into their own hands. Meanwhile, the spectators don't miss out on watching that batter play either.
I love this rule! I would love to see it being implemented. I'm not ashamed to admit that when I was playing I was almost halfway down the pitch before the bowler had released the ball. This would've made me stay in my crease as long as possible

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
Champions League Winner
Great to see a full Newlands. SA20 look and feels better than the Mzansi Super League. As a South African, though appreciative about the "cash injection" the IPL owners bring to the table, I simply cannot help but feel they are taking away what should feel like an authentic South African league. The logos, jerseys etc. make it feel like a 2nd division IPL tbh.

Personal feelings aside, it is great to watch youngsters like Brevis showcase their talents. Hopefully this league will help CSA to scout young raw talent and give them ample game time against some of the best international players around.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Great to see a full Newlands. SA20 look and feels better than the Mzansi Super League. As a South African, though appreciative about the "cash injection" the IPL owners bring to the table, I simply cannot help but feel they are taking away what should feel like an authentic South African league. The logos, jerseys etc. make it feel like a 2nd division IPL tbh.

Personal feelings aside, it is great to watch youngsters like Brevis showcase their talents. Hopefully this league will help CSA to scout young raw talent and give them ample game time against some of the best international players around.
Perhaps it's my English eyes being a little biased but, it definitely feels more inauthentic than something like The Hundred. Which, despite being manufactured in an advertising/marketing office, having teams wearing kits based on crisp packets, at least they're our crisp packets. The Hundred's appeal, for me at least, is also down to the increased prominence it has given the women's game. The teams, overall, do have their own identity to build and develop. This feels designed to capture the Indian TV market by making it as familiar as possible for them with teams dropped into random cities and grounds with their identities pasted on.

The amount of English players also made it feel like that was the story. Buttler, Morgan, Roy vs Archer, Stone and Curran - rather than big name South Africans playing each other. One of the biggest name South Africans, in the two sides, not playing also smacks of 'this isn't that important'.

I fell asleep in the second innings but did notice a switch to calling Mumbai Indians Cape Town just MI Cape Town. I'm not sure if they realised how stupid the full name sounded (much like The Hundred when, after banishing the word 'over', they realised you needed a word to explain the collective five balls and a came up with 'set' on the fly) or just got bored of saying the full thing.

It is good that the story of the day is a young South African though, I think that's one thing that's been a positive in The Hundred; the domestic and English players often being the stand out players. These domestic leagues need local stars that are there year on year and creating heroes/household names of players that might not even make it to the national side - the BBL/WBBL does a great job with that. It's why I think, as a neutral, this is far more appealing than the tournament going on in Dubai, where it's all about the overseas players.

Last edited:

Aislabie

Ireland
This feels designed to capture the Indian TV market by making it as familiar as possible for them with teams dropped into random cities and grounds with their identities pasted on
Doing all of this but not allowing Indians to play in what is essentially an IPL minor league is bafling to me.

Why can't Mumbai Indians Cape Town field a team like this once those concerned return from internationals
  1. :saf: :bat: Dewald Brevis
  2. :ind: :wk: Ishan Kishan
  3. :ind: :bat: Suryakumar Yadav
  4. :saf: :wkb: Ryan Rickelton
  5. :saf: :bat: Tristan Stubbs
  6. :saf: :ar: Delano Potgeiter
  7. :saf: :ar: George Linde
  8. :saf: :bwl: Duan Jansen
  9. :eng: :bwl: Jofra Archer
  10. :ind: :bwl: Jasprit Bumrah
  11. :saf: :bwl: Beuran Hendricks
Bold are MI players - I've obviously gone agvressively full strength. Facilitating this would have made the league unique?

Users who are viewing this thread