Sachin Tendulkar Claims Top Spot in ICC Rankings Once Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Name any cricketer who is/was a household name around the world. Only Bradman came close to being a "household name". Cricket actually has a fairly low fan following compared to other sports if you remove Indian fans from the equation, so saying Tendulkar isn't a known name world-wide is a moot point. No cricketer in history has been a household name around the world ;)

Point is there are other cricketers more well known around the world than Tendulkar (example Warne).

And I was saying this because some idiot on here was going on about how Tendulkar's mass following around the world and being loved by every nation and being a house-hold name etc etc made him a better cricketer compared to some other person who I don't remember (probably Bradman).

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
Point is there are other cricketers more well known around the world than Tendulkar (example Warne).

Actually in which part of the world Warne is better known than Tendulkar except Australia, of course?

P

pcfan123

Actually in which part of the world Warne is better known than Tendulkar except Australia, of course?

find he's the least known of the cricketing legends here. (like in scotland where people know almost nothing about cricket, except that happens in other places) Lara, shane warne, ian botham and flintoff are the most known, KP is maybe next.

This for one

Mark added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

This would actually make an interesting social experiment. You are in Russia right? You , me and a few others who live in non-cricketing nations should ask 10 random people to name a cricketer and see what we come up with.

Sachin might be known a bit more because of that mention in Slumdog Millionaire.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This would actually make an interesting social experiment. You are in Russia right? You , me and a few others who live in non-cricketing nations should ask 10 random people to name a cricketer and see what we come up with.

Lets first ask them whether they know any of these players in first place,

• Ashwani Chopra
  • Sumit Hooda
  • Jigar Jaswantsinh Jadeja
  • Syed Khurshed Akhtar
  • Pankaj Kumar Jha
  • Rakesh Mohan Rajput
  • Radzhinder Singkh
  • Rashik Kumar
  • Arvinder Singh
  • Akila Milan De Silva Thotahewage
  • Hitesh Patel
  • Sammy Kotwani
  • Tanveer Khan

Then we can bother about knowing Tendulkar in Russia. Actually, Not a big deal or sin to know or not know Tendulkar. People who have seen him for two decades know his worth more than the kids/people who started following cricket off-late.

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
This for one

Mark added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

As far as I know absolutely nobody watches or cares about Cricket in Russia (Or Even in whole USSR). My only point is that If Shane Warne is more popular than Sachin, it just because of his off field controversies. If people do not know anything about cricket then how come they know about Lara and Warne in Scotland and not about Tendulkar? KP and other English player are still expectable as they must hear about them through Sky News or other electrical media.

vaibhav mehta added 0 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

NZ, SA, England to name a few.

Do you have any proof to back up your argument? You just were picking these countries name randomly.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Actually, Not a big deal or sin to know or not know Tendulkar. People who have seen him for two decades know his worth more than the kids/people who started following cricket off-late.

No doubting that. Just saying that the theory from some Sachin fanboys that he is a house hold name around the world is complete bullshit. Even if he was, doesn't justify anything about the greatness of a player.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Do you have any proof to back up your argument? You just were picking these countries name randomly.

Let me go to these countries and survey every tweaking house why don't I :facepalm

They were not random picks, was only naming the main Test nations. Countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh might be familiar with Tendulkar more, but it is nothing in comparison with countries outside the SC where Warne has a handsome lead. Might be due to the fact that Warne is a bigger personality than Tendulkar (both on and off field).

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
Even if he was, doesn't justify anything about the greatness of a player.

Now I agree with you there and can repeat it loudly. My point was never to associate his greatness and popularity. I myself, live in a country where nobody gives a damn about Sachin but then none of them have no idea even about Warne or any other cricketers. Sachin is not a house hold name around the world, no way. But then no cricketer in the world is.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
It just goes to show the ignorance of people towards cricket.

And Kobe is not household name in India and I bet most of world will ask Who is Babe Ruth?

The most household names around the world are football players. Ronaldo (Brazilian) and Beckham are best known household names.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That amazes me, so People who watch cricket in New Zeland do not know who holds half of the batting records in Cricket? Yet, they do know Warne?

Yes because Warne's always in the news for the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread