• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Irfan is definitely a better choice if he finds his form like he was in his early days and he becomes more valuable because he can bat too.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Looking forward to Delhi this season.They have good players and a great coach.Hope they would do something memorable this time.[DOUBLEPOST=1428160137][/DOUBLEPOST]
Zaheer was 32 when he played 2011 WC so I don't think age is not that big a factor,but still I think we have got good bowlers so unless he does something very good we are in no need of him.

Well Irfan can bat too. And he is not an Ashwin type batsman. He is a big hitter who can tonk those big sixes. That along with his swing bowling can be very useful. Currently, there is probably no seamer in Indian domestic cricket who can be a great lower order big hitter and also a good swing bowler. Irfan is the guy who has that, and also experience. If he can find his form, he can probably be strike bowler for India in the 2019 WC. And as you said, lot of bowlers have played till 35-36 and I dont see why Irfan can do the same.

lion100lion

International Coach
So u are trying to say he cant play wc just because he will be 34??? How old was Sanga, Mahela, Dilshan, Misbah, MSD when this wc was rolling on?
Unfortunately that is not the case with the fast bowlers. They have the more fitness issues.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Well Irfan can bat too. And he is not an Ashwin type batsman. He is a big hitter who can tonk those big sixes. That along with his swing bowling can be very useful. Currently, there is probably no seamer in Indian domestic cricket who can be a great lower order big hitter and also a good swing bowler. Irfan is the guy who has that, and also experience. If he can find his form, he can probably be strike bowler for India in the 2019 WC. And as you said, lot of bowlers have played till 35-36 and I dont see why Irfan can do the same.
Still remembers the day when I saw Irfan coming out to open the innings in 2012 T20 WC replacing Sehwag.Yes,He could be useful as a seaming allrounder.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Unfortunately that is not the case with the fast bowlers. They have the more fitness issues.

Irfan is not a true fast bowler. He is more of a medium pacer/medium fast bowler. And also, Irfan due to his inconsistent showings has not played top flight cricket a lot in the last few years. He has played the IPL (where he bowls only 4 overs a game) and some domestic cricket. So if he finds his form now, he should ideally have it in him to last 4-5 years.

Lets see if we can find someone else who can swing the ball and who can also bat well lower down the order. India lost the 2015 WC primarily because Dhoni didn't have confidence in any of his lower order batsmen and therefore was crippled with his batting as he had to shoulder all the responsibility (in the semifinal, he delayed the slog too late because of it and by the time he thought of starting it, the pressure was completely over him).

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Age hits bowlers a lot more than the batsmen. Its not the only factor but it is a big factor :) Unless he starts taking bucketful of wickets again, there is almost no chance of him making a comeback. Because there will be younger, fitter, same criteria bowlers/all rounders available for selection

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So u are trying to say he cant play wc just because he will be 34??? How old was Sanga, Mahela, Dilshan, Misbah, MSD when this wc was rolling on?
Sachin was at the end of 37 in 2011.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Age hits bowlers a lot more than the batsmen. Its not the only factor but it is a big factor :) Unless he starts taking bucketful of wickets again, there is almost no chance of him making a comeback. Because there will be younger, fitter, same criteria bowlers/all rounders available for selection

The second part of that "bowlers/all rounders" thing is the hardest to fill. India have struggled with it for decades now - to find a bowler who can bat well. Irfan promised that, but he was confused by many people. Jadeja's bowling has always been bits and pieces, and now even his batting is faltering heavily. In non-subcontinental conditions, the necessity of a good lower order is very crucial.

Nikhil V

Banned
Who will be replacing Kane Richardson in this season's RR squad with him being out?

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
The second part of that "bowlers/all rounders" thing is the hardest to fill. India have struggled with it for decades now

Yes, yes, I know

But we already have plenty of potential replacements for him already. Bhuvi is there, Mohit could develop. Heck one would even make a case for Binny over Pathan at this point in time. All 3 of them are better fielders than Irfan too. If you are presented with two similar bowlers/all rounders and one of 5 years younger and a lot fitter than the other, you will probably always pick the younger, fitter guy. That's all I am trying to say

Have nothing against Pathan and I used to love him back in the days. But you guys are making a case for him just like some people were making a case for Sehwag when Dhawan/Rohit were going through horrid phase. Bringing back Pathan or Sehwag just doesnt make any sense anymore, despite all their contributions to Indian cricket

Nikhil V

Banned
Yes, yes, I know

But we already have plenty of potential replacements for him already. Bhuvi is there, Mohit could develop. Heck one would even make a case for Binny over Pathan at this point in time. All 3 of them are better fielders than Irfan too. If you are presented with two similar bowlers/all rounders and one of 5 years younger and a lot fitter than the other, you will probably always pick the younger, fitter guy. That's all I am trying to say

Have nothing against Pathan and I used to love him back in the days. But you guys are making a case for him just like some people were making a case for Sehwag when Dhawan/Rohit were going through horrid phase. Bringing back Pathan or Sehwag just doesnt make any sense anymore, despite all their contributions to Indian cricket

With all the respect none of the 3 u mentioned are not better than Irfan. Simply none of those guys mentioned can be counted as genuine all rounders.

Bhuvi or Binny on their best day cant whack a ball for a six or cant play aggressively the way Irfan can do. When was the last time Binny bowled well against a quality team? Whenever he is in a proper test he just always fails...And when was the last time Bhuvi played a quality innings?

And lastly, from what I see, Irfan is a better outfielder than both Mohit and Bhuvi.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
LOL This is funny - the Binny comment was a clear exaggeration, but you know what. When was the last time Binny bowled well against a quality team ? Dont remember. When was the last time Pathan swung the ball even in domestic cricket or survived a full season of Ranji? Dont remember. Bowling 3-4 overs and batting for 15-20 balls in T20 is nothing comparable to the rigors of international cricket. Even then, if I remember correctly, Pathan looked very dull in the IPL as well.

And Bhuvi has more chances of developing into an all-rounder than Pathan has of getting his swing back. Bhuvi can actually swing the ball both ways in conducive conditions and his batting technique is pretty solid as has been seen in Tests.

And Pathan being a better outfielder than Mohit/Bhuvi is a joke. Mohit was top notch in this world cup with his ground fielding. Bhuvi has been trustworthy as well. Pathan was always a slow runner and weak in the outfield

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
LOL This is funny - the Binny comment was a clear exaggeration, but you know what. When was the last time Binny bowled well against a quality team ? Dont remember. When was the last time Pathan swung the ball even in domestic cricket or survived a full season of Ranji? Dont remember. Bowling 3-4 overs and batting for 15-20 balls in T20 is nothing comparable to the rigors of international cricket. Even then, if I remember correctly, Pathan looked very dull in the IPL as well.

And Bhuvi has more chances of developing into an all-rounder than Pathan has of getting his swing back. Bhuvi can actually swing the ball both ways in conducive conditions and his batting technique is pretty solid as has been seen in Tests.

And Pathan being a better outfielder than Mohit/Bhuvi is a joke. Mohit was top notch in this world cup with his ground fielding. Bhuvi has been trustworthy as well. Pathan was always a slow runner and weak in the outfield
I think its better we stop talking on this topic untill we see how Pathan performs in IPL.

Nikhil V

Banned

Did u see the vids that Irfan uploaded earlier this year in his fb page? Never run mouth without knowing the facts. If Binny was that great why he wasn't got into the team in his early years? It is well known that Binny only got the opportunity because his father was a cricketer. And Bhuvi being a all rounder? With all the respect to his bowling skills even Ashwin has a better chance than him... Bhuvi just don't have the ability to build up a innings he just comes in and always try to swing the bat without even building an innings first.

At the end of the day it is known to all that Irfan has more talent > Bhuvi, Binny and Mohit combined. Discussion over.

Users who are viewing this thread