Second Round - England vs Ecuador

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
England vs Ecuador @ England vs Ecuador, 17:00; 25 June 2006

Discussion of the second round match between England and Ecuador.

Ecuador are a decent team, though there confidence won't be sky hgih after a hammering against Germany. I expect England to win quite comfortably and they should do. If we get our team together i could see something like 3-0.

Ecuador got the hammering, since the attackers got rested and some players, who were booked, didn't play. But I still expect England to get through. I hope Ecuador just play their game like they did against Poland and Costa Rica, because on the right day they can beat anyone.

Remember that Ecuador rested 5 players against Germany including their captain. Also, as everyone keeps reminding us, the beat Brazil and Argentina in qualifying.
We should beat them but their definitely a potential banana-skin in my book.

i think England are going to win this one.. but Ecuador are a good team! you never know what can happen..

barmyarmy said:
Remember that Ecuador rested 5 players against Germany including their captain. Also, as everyone keeps reminding us, the beat Brazil and Argentina in qualifying.

Ok, i didn't know they rested players. As for them beating Argentina and Brazil it isn't much as they were at home at 3,000m above sea level, which gave alien conditions for Brazil and Argentina.

You had the same thought as me, but only posted one minute later. ;)

And this match is on Saturday. So when Sri Lanka is in the final stage of winning the 3rd ODI and the ODI series you can switch over from the misery and watch this match. :)

Oh, now I see this match is on Sunday, so you can watch the cricket on Saturday and football on Sunday. :cool:

And Owen could miss the rest of the World Cup.

Eriksson fears worst about Owen
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5100516.stm

Last edited:
Well after their second half performance against Sweden i'm not sure whether they'll get through.I hope they do as they are a quality side but i wouldn't be too cocky...

England are gonna win this one. Maybe not as comfortably as Germany did, but in the end its the result that matters more than the scoreline.

Results can win you tournaments, performances can't.

I still think the Argies will win this one.

Brilliant that England don't have to play the mighty hosts, Germany. Dodgy 2nd half yesterday. Hopefully Sol won't play. I've never felt confident with his set piece defending.

Rooney must play from the start. I reckon Carrick should play but Sven will pick Hargreaves who did fairly well yesterday.

GK-Paul Robinson
DR-Jamie Carragher
DC-John Terry
DC-Rio Ferdinand
DL-Ashley Cole
DM-Owen Hargreaves
AM-Frank Lampard
AM-Stephen Gerrard
WR-David Beckham
WL-Joe Cole
ST-Wayne Rooney

Bring Carrick on for Lampard if in front

Bring Lennon on for Hargreaves and Crouch for Carragher if behind or drawing.

Why did Ashley Cole run away from the ball for the second goal last night ?
He hasnt been as good as the two previous tournaments.

I think Gerrard should play just behind Rooney, hey it worked against Jamaica didn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread