Shaoib Gets Banned & Fined

D

Duncan

This is from baggygreen.com.au

Shoaib banned for two matches
Charlie Austin - 21 May 2003

Shoaib Akhtar has been fined 75% of his match fee and banned for two One-Day Internationals for ball-tampering. Akhtar was found guilty of changing the condition of the ball (Law 42.3) and breaching Level 2.10 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players.

Akhtar was hauled before Gundappa Viswanath, the match referee, on Tuesday night after television footage showed him scratching the surface of the ball during Pakistan's 22-run victory over New Zealand.

"Tampering with the ball is contrary to the laws and the spirit of cricket," said Viswanath. "I consider this offence to be of a serious nature and the penalty imposed reflects this view." Akhtar, who pleaded not guilty, will miss the final of the Alfalah Cup on Friday.

hm....is it suspicious bout y he bowls so fast now?? :P

why are pakistanis always getting in trouble for match fixing, ball tampering and all that stuff

isn't it a bit weird :blink:

Dont forget pakistanis are master's of bowling sarfaraz nawaz discovered the art of reverse swing which continued and waqar younis wasim akram shoab akhtar mohmd sami even once saqlain mustaq got reverse swing.

It is perfectly possible to get reverse swing without ball tampering. Several English players who have played with Pakistanis have learnt reverse swing, without any ball tampering at all.

and i think a way (that mcgrath uses) is when the ground is damp and the ball is moist...he shines and dries one side so that the other side is heavier.

when he bowls, it tends to reverse swing.

Reverse swing is a complex thing. When bowlers shine one side, this is to make it swing in a certain direction. Reverse swing happens when the other side of the ball gets scuffed up, making it swing in the opposite direction. Ball tampering can help the process but it does occur naturally with an old ball.

It did happen in the past it's just that Imran Kahn and other Pakistan players figured out what was happening and named it.

Well I bowl everything but nothing brilliantely :P :D :lol:

It has alot to do with keeping one side shiny and the other totally scuffed up, and it has to be bowled at a certain pace... not too fast and not to slow according to Wasim.

Lifting the seam and lowering it makes a drastic difference they say in the reverse swing!

but It CAN occur naturally to an old ball too!

Chaminda Vaas had been trying for years and got it sorted out during the West Indies tour here in 2001 and during the tri series w ZIM he taught it to Sanath Jayasuriya too!! Who bowled his armball w Reverse swing and got 2 ppl bowled (Heath Streak was one of them)

Just thought of sharing that!

Peace
DT

This is wad reverse swing is...

REVERSE SWING
Reverse In-Swing
Reverse Out-Swing
Pakistans gift to modern day cricket. The story goes that Sarfaraz Nawaz, the pakistani stalwart discovered the art and reluctantly passed it on. Today it is one of crickets important feature. Mastery of this art can have prodigious effects on the game. Waqar Younis and Akram have achieved miraculous wins with reverse swing.
Shown here are the 2 grips to get the 2 movements with the old ball when it starts reverse swinging ie. swinging in the direction of the shiny side ( note the work done on the ball to keep one side glossy and the other retaining its natural roughness).
It is common to see a more pronounced swing with reverse swing than normal swing. Very important to have a good, basic bowling action,because you need to be quick in the air for best results you need a great body effort. Wrist again firm behind the ball . pushing at the ball to achieve that speed in the air. Crucial here is the direction in which the ball is released because the ball has a big late movement. In case of the incoming delivery .Keep that ball wide outside the off stump so when the swing finishes it should be hitting the stumps. Length must be very full. Waqar Younis is a master of this particular delivery. Of course, needs hard work and skill. But when you have it you have a trump card up your sleeve !

The most important criterion for reverse swing is the pitch. The rougher it is the better probability of reverse swing. Unlike conventional swing reverse swing does not need moisture in air. Tell you what, I am a left handed batsman-well, I was in contention for the India U-19 's tour of England last year,I am that good- and one of the deliveries which I dread the most is a reverse swinging delivery straight into the blockhole.

Pakistan players didn't invented it, they just discovered how to master it. Bowlers going back to the 30s have said that they sometimes had the ball swing in the oppositte direction, ie. reverse swing.

And Insha, when you quote something from a site, you should really say where you've took it from, otherwise it's technically breech of copyright

Users who are viewing this thread