Your Cricket Shining A Cricket Ball

Justcrazy said:
lolz guyz...I don't believe in shinning the ball.

The last thing anything wants to do is shin a ball! Would hurt like hell ;)

Shining on the other hand is something that a couple of chaps in the team in close to the bowler should always look to do to provide their bowlers with a more responsive ball.

Hi guys, i know its illegal but whats the best way to shine a cricket ball?? its for nets only cos i have a knackered ball with no shine..... therefor.... no swing.....

is there any polish or laquer that i can use...... remember its only for nets practise

Make sure you keep the seam dry! Otherwise it'll be absolutely impossible to bowl with.

Make sure you shine one side intensively. Otherwise, the ball will swing out of control, and you'll get thumped. Has happened to me :|

But there's nothing like some elbow grease to do the job!

Make sure you keep the seam dry! Otherwise it'll be absolutely impossible to bowl with.

Make sure you shine one side intensively. Otherwise, the ball will swing out of control, and you'll get thumped. Has happened to me :|

But there's nothing like some elbow grease to do the job!

No, thats simply because you are ████.

I often wonder how much hair product some of those bowlers are getting on the ball when they wipe their brow.

you might be on to something there.

I bowl spin and i only shine the ball on one side for when the fast bowlers come back on. The rough side is the side i use to grip. I was also taught to always keep shining the ball.

lolz guyz...I don't believe in shinning the ball.

You don't have to shine tennis balls, but if you ever want to play real cricket, then shining the ball is crucial. Also I highly doubt your location is Afghanistan since the only internet access available there is in military compounds at the present time.

You don't have to shine tennis balls, but if you ever want to play real cricket, then shining the ball is crucial. Also I highly doubt your location is Afghanistan since the only internet access available there is in military compounds at the present time.

hahaha, he happened to post that three years ago Hmarka. :facepalm

urprisingly enough the guy who posted that message three years ago visited the forum today.
And he wont come back now:laugh
Im a pace bowler and if you play cricket at a high enough level its obvious you need to shine the ball. I get pissed off when people dont care for the ball and its tweaked after 6 overs.

Gazza, that bit about 'The ball swings out of control and you'll get thumped..' isn't that a good thing? The more swing the better.

If you are swinging it heaps, that's the aim of good swing bowling - the second part however is finding the right accuracy. No use pitching them on off-stump if it's going to swing down leg stump.

Actually, what I find quite interesting with my bowling, is that I used to get a lot of out-swing when I bowled a few years ago, then for a long time I didn't get any swing, and now I'm finally getting my out-swing back. It's strange how it works.. but it's good when you get the ball swinging, it's always nice to get them moving away, can get a lot of edges and miscued shots from a good out-swinger.

Gazza, that bit about 'The ball swings out of control and you'll get thumped..' isn't that a good thing? The more swing the better.

If you are swinging it heaps, that's the aim of good swing bowling - the second part however is finding the right accuracy. No use pitching them on off-stump if it's going to swing down leg stump.

Actually, what I find quite interesting with my bowling, is that I used to get a lot of out-swing when I bowled a few years ago, then for a long time I didn't get any swing, and now I'm finally getting my out-swing back. It's strange how it works.. but it's good when you get the ball swinging, it's always nice to get them moving away, can get a lot of edges and miscued shots from a good out-swinger.

I used to get a lot of outswing, then a lot of inswing, now I can't get any. It's weird, so now I just bowl mediums, cutters, change angles and speeds, try to be consistent. I'm working on off spin, I want to show my rep coach it, but I'm the 3rd seamer, and we already have 3 spinners, so it doesn't look promising.

@Blake, my problem is I don't bowl very quick so the ball swings from outside off to outside leg and I get flogged. Plus they hit with the swing.

Bowled a gem a couple of weeks ago to their opener, cut him in half and clipped his leg stump....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread