Shortcut Virus

RPHKR

National Board President
When I copy files to any pendrive, they turn into shortcuts. When I click the shortcut, the original file is there.

I found many solutions while surfing but none worked for me.

When I typed "attrib -h -r -s /s /d h:\*.*" in cmd, I saw a vbscript file in the pendrive. Though I delete it, it comes back. Any solution to this problem?

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
SHOW HIDDEN FILES. Then, unchecked HIDE EXTENSIONS FROM KNOWN FILES and HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM.

1.From task manager, you should end the process wscript.exe
2.Go to C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\Local Settings\Temp
you should see kpcgrhynko.vbs file delete it, if you dont find it, leave it and go further.
3.Next Go to C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
you should see again this file kpcgrhynko.vbs. Delete it and if there is no such file as this, proceed to the next step.
4.Open your flashdrive, Delete kpcgrhynko.vbs again.
Then, delete all the shortcut files
5.If your flahdrive is G, enter this command:
attrib -h -r -s /s /d G:\*.*

You can use Quickwiper to delete those files, it works well.
Let me know what happens. I have succeeded in doing this to one of my friend's pendrive.

----------

If still you face the issue, work with your registry and do this. Make sure you take a backup before you start working in it.
Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and End Process for any WSCRIPT.EXE that is currently running. (This will stop the running virus, the next steps are for preventing it from running again next time you start your computer)
Click on Start
Type REGEDIT and Tap Enter
Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click on Software\
Click on Microsoft\
Click on Windows\
Click on CurrentVersion\
Click on Run.
On the list on the right find any reference to a file that ends with .vbs and take note of were that .vbs file is located
Go to the said location and delete the .vbs file
Go back to Regedit and delete the key referencing thtat said .vbs file

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
When I copy files to any pendrive, they turn into shortcuts. When I click the shortcut, the original file is there.

I found many solutions while surfing but none worked for me.

When I typed "attrib -h -r -s /s /d h:\*.*" in cmd, I saw a vbscript file in the pendrive. Though I delete it, it comes back. Any solution to this problem?

I had that same prob earlier tried many things like what you did in cmd but accidentally installed avira premium security anti virus it solves my prob.:thumbs

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Your computer is infected by a virus, and you first need to clean your computer of the virus before anything can be done on the pen drive.
I suggest, download a good antivirus and run a full system scan, and follow the recommendations. After cleaning your computer, connect the pen drive, but do not open it, and first run a scan to delete all traces of the virus.

----------

I had written an article about this problem, http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...y-protected-part-1-autorun-viruses-58433.html

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Your computer is infected by a virus, and you first need to clean your computer of the virus before anything can be done on the pen drive.
I suggest, download a good antivirus and run a full system scan, and follow the recommendations. After cleaning your computer, connect the pen drive, but do not open it, and first run a scan to delete all traces of the virus.

----------

I had written an article about this problem, http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...y-protected-part-1-autorun-viruses-58433.html

I echo what abhas says i too have those auto run problems in past tried many free antivirus and many auto run removers but my problem is solved only by using avira premium security suite which i got as a prize in science exhibition which was conducted in our school last year.:D

Users who are viewing this thread