Should KP and Flintoff have played the IPL?

Should KP and Flintoff have gone to the IPL?

• Total voters
I went for No. Basically because while touring the Windies KP was bitching about playing too much international cricket and being away from home too much. He then proceeded to get on a plane and go to South Africa carrying an injury. It was far too much fuss for what turned out to be a pretty pointless exercise, they wouldn't have been missed from IPL (especially KP!!) but they will be missed from the England side.

No it doesn't. County Cricket is of far higher intensity in terms of working the body. They'd have played far more cricket for their Counties, and could have irritated the injuries to a far more serious extent. The County schedule is a heck of alot more challenging on the body than a couple of weeks playing the IPL.
I didn't say it was low intensity, I said they can play at low intensity. That is, Freddie can choose to bowl 70 MPH dobblers and KP can bat left handed if he wished. It isn't necessary to play at 100% as everyone will understand they are trying to maintain themselves and keep themselves fit for the Ashes, and no one cares about County cricket bar a few fans and the players themselves (oh don't look so shocked, it's true.)

County's do not run in order to provide England with talent. You really think they'd accept Flintoff and Pietersen playing below par to the extremes you're spouting just to make sure they're fit for the Ashes, I don't think so.

As for the dig at County Cricket, I'm not even going to bother to attempt a witty retort, as frankly it's utter rubbish.

Had they not played in IPL they would have played domestic games and yeah not to forget they had series against Windies which took more manhours than IPL.

Whats the point here? Dont like IPL then dont go around bashing it. English county season has more games than I can count and no English fan ever comes out saying its getting boring. :rolleyes:

scion_sid added 2 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Everone has diffrent priorities. If Punter and Pup does something doesnt mean everyone has to do it.

Because it doesn't get boring. It's proper cricket, not overkill of DLF MAXIMUMS and CITI MOMENTS OF SUCCESS with Ronnie pissing Irani spouting his ridiculous opinions just to get a few e-mails in the Setanta inbox. The English County System is one of the finest Domestic cricket systems in the world, with a fine history of brilliant teams and excellent cricket. People respect the County Championship a hell of alot more than they respect the DLF IPL that's for sure, if it wasn't for the obscene cash thrown about, India would not tempt the top players to their shores, the Championship still tempts class talent without heaps of money.

So IPL T20 tournament is circus and English 20-20 and KFC bash are proper tournaments.

Thing is you can pick an injury anytime. See our Manoj Tiwary? He was considered to be the most promising Indian youngster even a year back. Was picked for that Australia tour (most probably, I might be wrong) There he received an injury in a practice session (Can you believe it!!) and was immediately sent back. Could never really recover from that ever since. Although he was given one more chance, he failed to perform and now is nowhere in the picture. These things happens in a cricketer's life. You just can't do anything about them. As I've said earlier, injuries don't tell you beforehand, "O I'm coming, be ready" You can pick one anytime. There's no need to project the IPL as the main reason why KP and AF got injured. They could have picked one anytime, anywhere, any hour of the day, any day of the week, in the county circuit, in the World T-20 meet.......

So IPL T20 tournament is circus and English 20-20 and KFC bash are proper tournaments.

Not entirely, but the Twenty20 Cup and the KFC Big Bash are proper domestic tournaments for the domestic teams. They don't need to spend millions of dollars to bring in the worlds best talent, just to make it exciting. It doesn't need hundreds of sponsors, or cheerleaders. The cricket talks for itself and is good enough without all the gimmicks. The County Championship is also FAR better than the IPL will ever be.

^ Might I ask you one question? Please don't take it otherwise, but, do you follow the EPL? If yes, why? Isn't it just like the IPL? I mean, "millions of dollars", and everything?

The EPL and the IPL are COMPLETELY different. The Premier League was a league that was already in existance, but repackaged in order to be more marketable and to create better revenue for football clubs. It wasn't a rebel league that was set up, with a load of made up teams with millions of pounds chucked about willy nilly. The Premier League was not a truely big money organisation until the late 90's early 00's, and that was due to development of the product. The IPL was fabricated by the BCCI in order to make themselves a few extra $$. Completely different.

No. It's a joke league and none of our players should be in it. Play for your county instead.

They should not drive cars as well as they might meet with accident and not play in Ashes.

Thing is you can pick an injury anytime. See our Manoj Tiwary? He was considered to be the most promising Indian youngster even a year back. Was picked for that Australia tour (most probably, I might be wrong) There he received an injury in a practice session (Can you believe it!!) and was immediately sent back.
He was picked on the Bangladesh tour and then sent back for injury. He was then put on a plane to Australia to replace an injured player for the ODI series last time we were there and played a couple of balls before being out to a scorching yorker from Brett Lee.

sohum added 7 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

The EPL and the IPL are COMPLETELY different. The Premier League was a league that was already in existance, but repackaged in order to be more marketable and to create better revenue for football clubs.
All leagues start somewhere. You can't have something that was "already in existence" forever. It started at some time and there were probably several different unofficial leagues before one was chosen to be the premier league. All the IPL has done is cut to the chase. It's a new league, with new teams, just like the EPL was when it started out. Instead of waiting for decades to develop their product into something marketable, they've just done it at the same time.

The EPL wasn't a new league with new teams though. It was a repackaged English First Division, which has been in existance for hundreds of years.

Not entirely, but the Twenty20 Cup and the KFC Big Bash are proper domestic tournaments for the domestic teams. They don't need to spend millions of dollars to bring in the worlds best talent, just to make it exciting.
Going back to my previous point, it's the same thing here. All the IPL did is they have created 8 new teams. Like Australia, the BCCI finally recognized that a league with dozens of teams (our domestic structure had something like 27 teams at last count) isn't really feasible for any sort of quality competition.

Secondly, the IPL is not marketed towards a specific domestic audience, unlike the Twenty20 Cup and KFC Big Bash, so in that respect it can't necessarily compare with those tournaments. It's a new (well, the ICL first came up with it) idea based on a franchise-system. Almost no one in India watches the English Twenty20 or KFC Big Bash although most of the games are broadcast on Star Cricket. That's because no one cares about the domestic competitions of other countries. Unlike that, the IPL is marketing itself to the whole world, apart from India, which is why they have put in the money to attract the best players in the world.

It doesn't need hundreds of sponsors, or cheerleaders. The cricket talks for itself and is good enough without all the gimmicks. The County Championship is also FAR better than the IPL will ever be.
Don't know why you're comparing a first class competition to the IPL. Also, I don't know why you're taking account of gimmicks when comparing the quality of cricket. Even without the gimmicks, the quality of cricket in the IPL is better than the English Twenty20 and KFC Big Bash because it involves most of the best players in the game, unlike those tournaments which is dominated in majority by county players who have no hope of playing in national colors.

And for the sake of staying on topic, I think what Zorax meant with less intensity is that you're definitely going to put in less intensity when playing for something like the county championship when compared to an international game. Although he provided exaggerated numbers, you wouldn't expect Flintoff to deliver Test-match-intensity on a day-to-day basis in the domestic first class matches. Also, most players would put in a lot of effort in the IPL, although it's just Twenty20, because they would feel guilty of the amount they were being paid!

sohum added 4 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

The EPL wasn't a new league with new teams though. It was a repackaged English First Division, which has been in existance for hundreds of years.
The point is that when a league, any league, hell anything for that matter, starts, everything is going to be new. When you go back those hundreds of years to the English First Division, the league was created with teams that didn't exist before, hence new teams.

What the IPL lacks is the historic development of those teams. But if its around in a couple of decades, it'll have that, too.

Users who are viewing this thread