Should M Aamer be shown leniency?

Should Mohammed Amir be shown some leniency if found guilty?

• Yes

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 67.9%

• Total voters
There should have been a poll added for this thread. It would be nice if it could be done now.

No leniency at all. He must be set as an example. Hard working Pakistanis have to face the consequences when their fellow countrymen fearsome tweak up!! Absolutely no leniency!!

geoff lawson has echoed the views of most of the people that are sticking up for amir.

Spot-fixing controversy: Amir earns sympathy for plight from Lawson and Ramiz | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

pretty much agree with what he says, rip out the board, I know from experience in my work that if the management is poor and don't set a good example then it will filter down to the staff's attitude. That said, Asif and Butt, especially, and probably kamran akmal, look in it too deep to get away with less than life bans.

If he can bowl a perfect line and length to world class batsmen and get them out, then surely he has enough knowledge to know the difference between right and wrong and the spirit of cricket.

That, 'Oh he's just started his carreer, he's young and has a successful carreer ahead of him' is absolute bullshit. I'm not denying any of the above, but he knew what he was getting into and he CLEARLY knew the consequences of his actions. If making a quick buck is more important to him, then that sums him up IMO. You'd think simply donning your country's whites was enough.

Lawsons article paints a good picture of his background. Coming from a village at the age of 16 and then spending the next two years with a bunch of corrupt goons while gaining fame. Frankly, Id be shocked if he was NOT involved.

By the sounds of the BBC report it doesn't matter how he got involved. They've quoted the ICC as saying "anyone found guilty will be thrown out of cricket"

Well, this kid's probably been cond into doing this with things like "It's only a no-ball" and "it won't affect the result" and why wouldn't a 18 year old kid do that for that amount of money when he doesn't get paid much at all.

If the PCB want Pakistan too stop all this ████, then pay the players more.

It seems like everyone wants to give him a free ride simply because he's talented.

Why do Umar Amin and Wahab Riaz not deserve leniency? They might be older, but they're even newer to the team and could have been subject to the same veteran pressure.

I say he deserves the same punishment as everyone else.

Well, this kid's probably been cond into doing this with things like "It's only a no-ball" and "it won't affect the result" and why wouldn't a 18 year old kid do that for that amount of money when he doesn't get paid much at all.

I'm 18 and would never ever even in the face of the reported money even consider doing the things alleged.

He's old enough to know better.

^^ It's easier to say it. Money can change ████ into gold (idk what that suppose to mean but you get the idea)

Yeah Geoff Lawson would be a pretty good guy to listen to for a bit of insight. But he mentions how players might take cash to help their village get a water tank - my more cynical brain says that there's just as good a chance, probably more, that players will instead take cash for fast cars and hot women. I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks...

Did you fail at elementary maths? He was born in 1992...

I assumed my point would have been clear by my initial post. He's as much 18 as Afridi is still 30 (or whatever his official dob currently lists him as) or like Waqar was 31 when he retired. 95% of all Pakistani cricketers are at the bare minimum 2 years older than their official age. The average is 4 years older than the official age. It's not a small minority choose to list their age as younger; the first thing they tell you when you start to play cricket at any level in Pakistan is to get a new birth certificate and other documents to make it appear you are younger. The number of years depends on how young can the player in question can pass for and they always go for the lowest possible. The only two cases when players' official age is their real age is if they started playing cricket too late and thus would not look 19 so there's no use (see Misbah, Rana Naveed) or if they represented Pakistan at the u13 level and at that time they were actually 12-13 at the time. Apart from these two situations, all players have their official age listed as 3-4 years younger.

Dabi added 5 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

It seems like everyone wants to give him a free ride simply because he's talented.

Why do Umar Amin and Wahab Riaz not deserve leniency? They might be older, but they're even newer to the team and could have been subject to the same veteran pressure.

I say he deserves the same punishment as everyone else.

My point exactly. Someone made the same point earlier in this thread that if he wasn't talented, people wouldn't be wanting to be lenient on him.

Users who are viewing this thread