Should M Aamer be shown leniency?

Should Mohammed Amir be shown some leniency if found guilty?

• Yes

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 67.9%

• Total voters
If he can bowl a perfect line and length to world class batsmen and get them out, then surely he has enough knowledge to know the difference between right and wrong and the spirit of cricket.

That, 'Oh he's just started his carreer, he's young and has a successful carreer ahead of him' is absolute bullshit. I'm not denying any of the above, but he knew what he was getting into and he CLEARLY knew the consequences of his actions. If making a quick buck is more important to him, then that sums him up IMO. You'd think simply donning your country's whites was enough.

Agreed. Pakistanis used the same excuse " Oh he's young, immature, from a poor village etc BS headlines from bollywood movies" when Asif was caught with Akhtar right before the 2007WC. Everyone was hell bent on making Akhtar the fall guy and that he "misled" Ass if. Now 4 years and numerous scandals later, Asif is being made the scapegoat and Amir is being given a soft corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually did say wahab deserved leniency. although, it's suspicious how quickly he got involved. like maybe he was called up because certain incividuals knew he'd play ball with the fixers.

more conspiracy theories :p

Since I missed most of this and failed to read the previous 14 pages can someone tell me what makes Asif more guilty then Aamer in this instance. Not counting his past issues.

Nothing.

Hence why they both should be banned for life in my opinion if proved guilty.

I actually did say wahab deserved leniency. although, it's suspicious how quickly he got involved. like maybe he was called up because certain incividuals knew he'd play ball with the fixers.

more conspiracy theories :p
Wahab Riaz played in the same domestic team as Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal in Lahore, so it could be possible as a man with a much better domestic record was overlooked for him.

Also Mohammad Aamer's age is accurate, give or take 6 months as he was given one of those wrist tests for a U-19 WC, to prove he was under 19 at the time.

Since I missed most of this and failed to read the previous 14 pages can someone tell me what makes Asif more guilty then Aamer in this instance. Not counting his past issues.

Asif - This is probably his 3rd Strike. He has done some ████ in the past.
Amir - 18 year old guy, who was naive enough to ball that big ass no ball, twice. If he was a con, he would have done it like Asif, and every thing would have been fine.

Amir - 18 year old guy, who was naive enough to ball that big ass no ball, twice. If he was a con, he would have done it like Asif, and every thing would have been fine.

valid point..... asif must have been doing this for ages to land the perfect no ball. Aamer is definately a rookie at this.....

Well not including any of the stuff that Asif did in the past he is innocent until proven guilty. If he is guilty then it should be life no less, Aamer at least 2 years.

I can sympathise with Amir getting mixed in with all of this. It's very easy to see how it could have happened.

But there should be 0 tolerance for Match Fixing. If banning him for life is what it takes, then do it. Sure his talent will go to waste and it's a harsh punishment, but it's the only way you'll deter other young cricketers from going down this route.

I guess Whole cricket remained very kind to Asif throughout his small dodgy career and he now thought that he will escape from this disrespecting act aswell.
What a shame for a player who have been given more then 3 chances.:mad:

valid point..... asif must have been doing this for ages to land the perfect no ball. Aamer is definately a rookie at this.....

I wasn't talking about "spot fixing" particularly. I was talking about other bad stuff he has done in the past and got in trouble for. His drug problems, failed the drug test like 3 times. He was banned. Then again, he was caught with drugs at the air port. Now this. STRIKE 3!

More then enough to ban him for life.

Ban Salman Butt Amir Asif Akmal Wahab Amin for life time. Video clearly shows that wahab riaz

Spot-fixing controversy: Amir earns sympathy for plight from Lawson and Ramiz | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Give the kid a break guys. When you're little, and your heroes are people like Asif and Shoaib and then you're suddenly next to them and want to be like them, it is very natural to get dragged into this. Would you let your kids get involved in bad company? Why? Who will you blame once he gets spoiled, yourself or him? Now put that into Amir's perspective.

Yes he is not that small, but he isn't that old either. He's 18. I hope we can all agree here peer pressure is a bitch to handle in this age. You're not as little and easy to fool so you obviously won't go with strangers in vans who promise candy but you can still ruin your life in countless ways if you're not guided in this age.
His parents are villagers and illiterate themselves, how the hell do they gauge what the extravagant life is going to be like for Amir and how do they advice against that? He needed real people like Wasim, Imran..hell his seniors to guide him but who themselves are ****ing cockroaches.

Who can here seriously say if Sachin himself wouldn't have gotten into this *IF* he joined the team and saw Gavaskar and Kapil Dev doing all the wrong things? Hell it would be extremely abnormal if he wouldn't get involved with them because Gavaskar is all the reason why he got inspired to play cricket night and day in the first place. Now put Sachin as a villager with illitrate parents and then think of the possibilities again. This is Amir.

Last edited:
Any punishment to Ameer should be an example for young kids not to fall into bad ways. If you give him a 5 year punishment (if he is guilty), when he comes out of it, he will be 24 and will still have 10-11 years of cricket left in him. It wont hurt him much because 10 years is a lot. If he is guilty, he should be banned for 10 years or even life (agree he is a kid and comes from tough conditions, but if we provide such exceptions now, we wont set the right example for future generations)

It's so hard because you want to give him a second chance, but at the same time you can't just give him a free pass for being young. If you do, then other young players will get hooked in with the idea that if they get caught they will get away with it because they too are young.

True. Also you can somewhat understand older cricketers looking at a big pay day, but (IF) this kid didn't once consider his future before going through with it then why should age and naivety be an excuse?

You also have to wonder how it came to be the cricketers involved. I mean did the first players they asked agree, or did more get asked and are just keeping very quiet........................

No, for me it's like murder, it's murder whether you are 13 or 30 and if premeditated then the punishment should be the same. Naivety of youth is not an excuse, you're old enough to commit the crime you're old enough to do the time.

I have been wondering though if the rag that did this didn't have an ulterior motive, if they were trying to catch cricketers out and expose corruption and match fixing then why pick Pakistan? In some way to vindicate past offences/accusations? Some vendetta against Pakistan? Why not Bangladesh when they toured here, or perhaps the idea only came to them when they were discussing what they could write or dig up on Pakistan given their history..................

Owzat added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

And I also think the punishment should be at most a five year ban so age is actually on Amir's side, although that reinforces what I was saying about why older cricketers would take the risk. Someone should have talked Amir out of it

Users who are viewing this thread