So.... just how do u bowl the AI out in a test match?

I've tried playing the game in a realistic way, using lifelike bowling patterns and tactics, but feel absolutely no reward for doing so. For the first few weeks of play I thought there were, but it was purely confirmation bias and through further experience with the game I realise that.

Realistic looking dismissals do happen in the game, and look really cool sometimes, but I never feel that I've been rewarded for smart and well executed bowling, rather that the AI just randomly screwed up a shot and got itself out.

I think there needs to be much more pitch deterioration, variable bounce, turn, seam movement etc as well as an overhaul of the AI to make bowling an engaging experience in future iterations. The ability to deliver from various positions of the crease with spinners like you can with seamers would also be welcome.

I'm a little bit shocked by this thread, to be honest. Judging by my own experience with the game, as well as reports I've read from users of this forum, this game rewards you for playing it in the most realistic way possible. That's not to say that there aren't ways to exploit the system (like bowling yorkers every ball, which, like most exploits in videogames, seems boring as hell to me and I don't know why people would bother), but if you want to have an immersive cricket experience, you can successfully do that and have a great time.

First tip I would give is one I picked up from someone on here: use the information given to you about the batsman. If they have a weakness with the back foot or flat bat shots, bowl more short stuff to them. If they have a weakness with the front foot, bowl fuller. It's so satisfying when you are peppering a guy who has a weakness with the short ball with bouncers and he ends up smacking one straight to a fielder or edging to the keeper. Or when you bowl a couple outswingers at someone who has a front foot weakness then swing one back in and get him LBW. Other than that, the way I approach the bowling is just as I would if I were lucky enough to play pro cricket in real life. Yes, to some extent I base what I bowl on the weakness of the batsman (like all professional bowlers do) but, particularly in a Test match, where I typically aim to bowl is where every world class bowler in the world typically aims to bowl: around a good length, on or outside off stump. I'll put about 70% of the balls there (usually swinging/cutting them away, then bringing one back into batsman) and the rest, depending on the batsman, will be occasional full balls on the stumps to try and get them LBW or bowled, or bouncers. Sometimes you go a while without getting a wicket, and it starts to get frustrating (just like in real life, of course) but often they'll struggle to score if you remain patient and eventually you'll get that wicket you've been searching for. I mostly play on Pro and I've never had a side make more than 400 against me.

This is turning into a bit of a rant but let me just share the best experience I've ever had bowling. It was in a Shield match in career mode. I was bowling to Philip Hughes who had made a double hundred against us (Bushrangers) in the first innings. There was a big crack on the pitch just outside his off stump (he's a left hander) running down half the pitch and so I decided I'd have a go at bowling around the wicket to see if the ball would misbehave if I could land it on the crack. (I'd seen the ball seam before from what I think were cutters but never seen anything come off cracks at this point.) To my delight it totally worked. I would bowl either inswingers or outswingers and whenever I managed to get it on the crack the ball would, if it was an inswinger, pitch then straighten, or if it was an outswinger, pitch and then jag toward the stumps. Eventually I got him out bowled after bowling two outswingers that missed the crack and went away and then getting one on the crack that got through his defense. I then proceeded to watch it over and over again on replay. :)

thanks mate - i'll give it a go!

First tip I would give is one I picked up from someone on here: use the information given to you about the batsman. If they have a weakness with the back foot or flat bat shots, bowl more short stuff to them. If they have a weakness with the front foot, bowl fuller

Exactly where do you get this information that a batsman has a weakness with the short ball in game?

No deos not help. The umpire says its not out even after LBW. Then the replay shows the ball moving away from the stumps. Every frustrating. It seems the game is totally programmed. You are just doing what ai wants you to do.

No deos not help. The umpire says its not out even after LBW. Then the replay shows the ball moving away from the stumps. Every frustrating. It seems the game is totally programmed. You are just doing what ai wants you to do.
Are you saying you've never got an LBW?

There is a certain level of wrong decisions that the umpires make - there wouldn't be a point in implementing a DRS system if they didn't also implement the fact umpires get it wrong. I know I've been the beneficiary of similarly wrong decisions going my way while bowling in matches without DRS.

Bowl dot balls consecutively and eventually the maidens will get to the AI and will force it to do something stupid. (it doesn't work all of the time)

Does anyone actually take wickets without cheap tactics in a test? Playing a test again and getting carved around the stadium. Bowling is easily the downside to this game. I've never received an edge as a bowler, anything pitched up in to the realm of possibility for an LBW is smashed for 4 and anything short is a guaranteed 4 and this is on a green wicket that is apparently a batsman's paradise.

Does anyone actually take wickets without cheap tactics in a test? Playing a test again and getting carved around the stadium. Bowling is easily the downside to this game. I've never received an edge as a bowler, anything pitched up in to the realm of possibility for an LBW is smashed for 4 and anything short is a guaranteed 4 and this is on a green wicket that is apparently a batsman's paradise.
I did the other day - I resumed a match and got a fairly normal caught behind with an outswinger. I then stopped so I didn't push my luck further.

When I play test matches I get around 2 - 3 edges per innings, not great, but the other day I actually managed to get a batsman caught at slip and the very next ball got the new batter caught by the keeper - it was glorious....but I think it's a fluke, it will probably never happen again.

I'm a little bit shocked by this thread, to be honest. Judging by my own experience with the game, as well as reports I've read from users of this forum, this game rewards you for playing it in the most realistic way possible. That's not to say that there aren't ways to exploit the system (like bowling yorkers every ball, which, like most exploits in videogames, seems boring as hell to me and I don't know why people would bother), but if you want to have an immersive cricket experience, you can successfully do that and have a great time.

First tip I would give is one I picked up from someone on here: use the information given to you about the batsman. If they have a weakness with the back foot or flat bat shots, bowl more short stuff to them. If they have a weakness with the front foot, bowl fuller. It's so satisfying when you are peppering a guy who has a weakness with the short ball with bouncers and he ends up smacking one straight to a fielder or edging to the keeper. Or when you bowl a couple outswingers at someone who has a front foot weakness then swing one back in and get him LBW. Other than that, the way I approach the bowling is just as I would if I were lucky enough to play pro cricket in real life. Yes, to some extent I base what I bowl on the weakness of the batsman (like all professional bowlers do) but, particularly in a Test match, where I typically aim to bowl is where every world class bowler in the world typically aims to bowl: around a good length, on or outside off stump. I'll put about 70% of the balls there (usually swinging/cutting them away, then bringing one back into batsman) and the rest, depending on the batsman, will be occasional full balls on the stumps to try and get them LBW or bowled, or bouncers. Sometimes you go a while without getting a wicket, and it starts to get frustrating (just like in real life, of course) but often they'll struggle to score if you remain patient and eventually you'll get that wicket you've been searching for. I mostly play on Pro and I've never had a side make more than 400 against me.

This is turning into a bit of a rant but let me just share the best experience I've ever had bowling. It was in a Shield match in career mode. I was bowling to Philip Hughes who had made a double hundred against us (Bushrangers) in the first innings. There was a big crack on the pitch just outside his off stump (he's a left hander) running down half the pitch and so I decided I'd have a go at bowling around the wicket to see if the ball would misbehave if I could land it on the crack. (I'd seen the ball seam before from what I think were cutters but never seen anything come off cracks at this point.) To my delight it totally worked. I would bowl either inswingers or outswingers and whenever I managed to get it on the crack the ball would, if it was an inswinger, pitch then straighten, or if it was an outswinger, pitch and then jag toward the stumps. Eventually I got him out bowled after bowling two outswingers that missed the crack and went away and then getting one on the crack that got through his defense. I then proceeded to watch it over and over again on replay. :)

Absolutely. Cricket is a game of patience and I find the best thing about this game is playing it as true as you can. My worst performances have been when impatient or rushed whether bowling or batting. Keep working your line and length with the pacers and you will get the rewards you deserve. You might not pick up a five for on every innings but neither does Mitchel Johnson.

There will be days of frustration but that comes with the territory. Fight through it.

I dont think the number of wickets themselves is a problem, im finewith 6 wickets at the end of a day, but the manner in which you get them as well as , there is no rhythm to bowling unlike batting also no short term rewards were you feel you feel rewarded for good deliveries, if i bowl a toe crunching yorker to a tailender while i don't want a wicket at the least i shouldn't get smashed over my head 70% of the time same with late cutting bouncers.

What BA should try to achieve is give a sense of reward to bowling, were if you bowl the tight line and length for a pitch with regards to batmsan it should be difficult for the batsman to cope unless he is inform.

right now all AI batsman play like hooligans on steroids whether im bowling or im at non strikers end in career. they just take the feel out of a match. they generate shots out of nowhere to hit six or get out. all of them play the same way regardless of situation/type or batsman type.

the main prob is they just dont rely much on running being conservative too much and are going for shots to make up, from what i feel.

I dont think the number of wickets themselves is a problem, im finewith 6 wickets at the end of a day, but the manner in which you get them as well as , there is no rhythm to bowling unlike batting also no short term rewards were you feel you feel rewarded for good deliveries, if i bowl a toe crunching yorker to a tailender while i don't want a wicket at the least i shouldn't get smashed over my head 70% of the time same with late cutting bouncers.

What BA should try to achieve is give a sense of reward to bowling, were if you bowl the tight line and length for a pitch with regards to batmsan it should be difficult for the batsman to cope unless he is inform.

right now all AI batsman play like hooligans on steroids whether im bowling or im at non strikers end in career. they just take the feel out of a match. they generate shots out of nowhere to hit six or get out. all of them play the same way regardless of situation/type or batsman type.

the main prob is they just dont rely much on running being conservative too much and are going for shots to make up, from what i feel.
Agreed..:thumbs
Yesterday for the first time AI smashed me for some runs...Felt really good as they usually just like play me out giving a few wickets as well...Went for 34/4 in the 8 overs I bowled...They needed to score at 10 runs per over so they started smashing...I felt that there is coding for clever AI play but something is blocking it to get applied in the game hence the ineffective AI gameplay...

Another thing that happened yesterday and was also for the first time was commentator saying "Are you kidding me, that's another maiden"

Personally I find the bowling is actually pretty good, in career mode anyway. Being a fast medium and not overly tall I don't get a lot of bounce unless I get the delivery input just right. If I struggle to get good pace on the ball I find the batsman can hit me to boundary a lot easier, like I might go for a couple of fours in a row and then I'll get one at good length 136kph and it'll bounce and miss the out side edge or something like that. I'm playing on veteran and I usually bowl around 10-15 overs an innings and if I'm not getting good pace constantly I'll go for some runs but if I'm in a rhythm and consistently hitting the length with some pace I usually at least pick up 1 or 2 wickets. And targeting a batsmans weakness is definitely helpful. Last night was bowling to a player with bad back foot and I hit him on the chest with a short ball then bowled a good length, but waited on pushing the stick forward to make it bounce a bit more and hit him again and by the end of the over I had him edge a fuller one to gully. So I think it is possible to work batsman over if you can keep them on strike.

I also think you can use the batsmans strength against them as well. Eg. If the batsman has a good offside skill bowl a few from close to the stumps aiming at off stump then bowl one wide of the crease and try land it in the same place but angle it towards middle and sometimes they try cut it and you can bowl them or get lbw

Users who are viewing this thread