Socceroos Fifa World Cup Adventure

How far will the socceroos go in the FIFA World Cup?

• Total voters

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
The Teams Prepare For Battle

The Dutch and Australian teams have taken to the field for the highly anticipated clash at Rotterdam. Australia have adopted an 1-4-2-2-1-1 formation that is built around the counter attack. Will Guus Hiddink's planning pay off? Only time will tell...

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
great stuff waugh mate :)
looks like a very good story just like your cricket one.
keep it up and come on aussies :)

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
hey can you move one of my footie stories here coz i got 2 and there pretty good and coz there ni the Fantasy Forum no one ever replies

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Should be a good clash between the two countries. Can't wait!

MWaugh

International Coach
First Half Highlights

13 min - The Robben and Van Nistlerooy pairing makes its first attack of the match as Robben swings in a cross to Ruud in the box. Van Nistelrooy latches onto the cross with a guided header but luckily for Australia Mark Schwarzer makes a solid and confidence building save.

(Ruud the dangerman gets his first attempt on target)

19 min - GOAL! A magical goal by one of the best strikers in the game. Ruud van Nistelrooy is on the end of a perfect one touch ball from Van der Vaat in the centre of midfield. Van der Vaat places a through ball through as Ruud runs on and fires one at Schwarzer. The Aussie keeper only able to get a left glove on the ball as it trickles over the line, the home side go 1-0 up after less than 20 minutes.

(A superb goal stuns the visitors but the dutch are delighted)

32 min - Jason Culina makes Edwin Van der Sar work very hard with a strong shot to the far right post along ground level. The dutch keeper beating the ball away as he dives to the ground. Its a promising sign for Australia as they look to attack Holland through the midfield

41 min - Culina picks up the first card of the match after a late sliding tackle against Giovanni Van Bronckhorst on the right side of the field.

(Culina collects Van Bronckhorst)

45 min - Half time is signalled and the teams head for the sheds. The game has been dominated in the midfield with Holland taking a greater slice of possession with 58%. Australia will have to hold onto the ball better if they are to get back into this match.

(The teams make their way to the stands for their half time talk)

Last edited:

MWaugh

International Coach
Second Half Highlights​

51 min - Rafael Van der Vaart is the second player to go into the book after recording a yellow card as a result of his late tackle on Marco Bresciano. Van der Vaart getting none of the ball in a clumsy tackle.

(Rafael Van der Vaart picks up a yellow card after his late challenge)

62 min - Australian world cup hopes rise as Guus Hiddink brings Tim Cahill into the fray for the first time since his injury sustained while playing for Everton. Cahill comes into the match for Jason Culina while Mark Viduka also makes way, giving Archie Thompson another opportunity up front.

(Tim Cahill gets his opportunity infront of a capacity crowd)

65 min - Goal!!! Australia draw level after a superb strike from midfielder Marco Bresciano. The Parma attacking midfielder pounding the ball past goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar. One of Australias most crucial players beat Phillip Cocu for pace and managed to create some space on the edge of the box, the resulting shot finding the top corner and proving too good for one of the worlds best keepers.

(Marco Bresciano shows his worth with a wonderful strike to bring Australia back into contention)

Australia are right back in this match, can they record a positive result. Only the remainding 25 minutes will tell.

MWaugh

International Coach
Second Half Highlights... Continued

70 min - Marco Bresciano goes very close to putting his side in front. After pulling the advantage back, Bresciano forced Van der Sar to stretch full length to his left and punch the ball away with one hand. Bresciano showed the ability he has to hit the long ball after firing his shot from around 5 meters outside the box.

(Van der Sar saves from Bresciano)

75 min - Australian keeper Mark Schwarzer makes a brave save against the wide striker and home town hero Dirk Kuyt. Cocu played a great through ball into the box for Kuyt however Schwarzer met the number 9 and collected the ball from his feet.

(Schwarzer picks the ball from the feet of Kuyt)

79 min - Goal!!! Ruud van Nistelrooy clinches a confidence building victory with a superb header. The Nistelrooy/Robben partnership has continued to come along in leaps and bounds as Robben delivers a pin point cross to the penalty spot. Van Nistelrooy showed a weakness in the Australian defence as he again out jumped the centre back pairing of Craig Moore and Tony Popovic to head home the winner.

(Ruud Van Nistelrooy almost certainly seals victory with a classic header)

90 min - The full time whistle is blown. A crushing loss to the socceroos. Ruud van Nistelrooy proved the difference with strikes in the 19th and 79th minute to clinch a 2-1 victory ahead of the World Cup finals.

(The Netherlands squad celebrate victory infront of a capacity crowd)

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Unlucky for the Socceroos. Were in the game for so long. Oh well. Good luck at the World Cup.

MWaugh

International Coach
Hiddink: Much Needs To Be Done

Australian Coach Guus Hiddink appeared less than impressed with his sides performance against cup favourites Holland yesterday in Rotterdam. Hiddink signalled that improvements need to be made in defence along with the retention of the ball in the midfield.

"We had many of very good opportunities yesterday to make the best use of the ball but we couldnt make the most of it. We only had i think around 40% of the ball, which just isnt enough at this top level. We really have to work harder to get more of the ball and then retain it to go forward.

(Hiddink talks to Craig Moore and Tony Popovic at training)

Our defence looked very good at times and at other times very poor. Craig Moore is coming back into full fitness and his combination with Tony Popovic will have to improve alot before Germany comes around. Im sure that in the next match we can work on this and improved."

Harry Kewell looks set to return to the side for the match against Liechtenstein in Ulm. Guus Hiddink appears likely to play a makeshift midfield and forward line while retaining Mark Schwarzer and the backline as the world cup moves closer and closer.

(Guus Hiddink speaks to the media after the socceroos training session)

gamerkid22

National Board President
I have selected your story for Sky Sports Planetcricket Updates ....:cheers :happy :cheers :happy ....check my thread.

MWaugh

International Coach
i know that it has been about 2 weeks since this was last updated but i was just checking to see if anyone would be interested in the story if i was to continue it?

MWaugh

International Coach
Kewell & Cahill To Start

Australian hopes have recieved a major boost ahead of the first world cup match against Japan with Guus Hiddink announcing that Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell will both start in the final warm up game against Liechtenstein in Ulm. Cahill played almost 30 minutes of the clash with the Dutch while Kewell sat in the stands.

(Harry Kewell trains with Marco Bresciano ahead of the clash with Liechtenstein)

Kewell has been Australias greatest football export in recent years through his club achievements with Leeds United and now Liverpool, while Cahill has become the new wonderboy of Australian football. Cahills performances for Everton in the English Premier League has increase interest in the world game dramatically in Australia.

"Its great to be back in the team, the body feels as though its very close to 100% and I just really want to find my touch and my feet to give myself every chance of being picked for the first match against Japan."

Harry Kewell
(Australian midfielder)

Users who are viewing this thread