South Africa call for Kieswetter?

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I definitely believe South Africa should call Craig Kieswetter. With Matt Prior having plenty of years left for England and as Mark Boucher seemingly close to retirement, kiewswetter seems the one that would fit the role. Having an average of 40 in FC and 39 in OD average is great, especially for someone who is just 22.

Craig Kieswetter, having turned his back and chose England may have to rethink his future. Should South Africa call him?

No, but looking at some of the talent coming through the South African system South Africa are probably not going to need a keeper that opens the batting like Kieswetter does for Somerset.

Not that I've seen Kuhn bat before but from what I've read most South African fans aren't too worried about Kieswetter not being available for selection as Heino Kuhn is that good.

I don't understand why Kieswetter would want to play for England anyway? South Africa are going to be the one with the big chance of winning a world cup and all the trophies. Although you won't win the Ashes with South Africa.

Kuhn has opened for titans and SA a. He can definitly open. The only question mark about he is he isn't as good a keeper as boucher. Haven't seen kieswetter keep so can't comment on his keeping.

But kuhn is more than good enough to be our next batsman/keeper.

I don't understand why Kieswetter would want to play for England anyway? South Africa are going to be the one with the big chance of winning a world cup and all the trophies. Although you won't win the Ashes with South Africa.

Money and the quota system I dare say. Also let's not forget when he left for England they were going through keepers left right and centre, he probably thought it was a much easier way of playing international cricket.

No, but looking at some of the talent coming through the South African system South Africa are probably not going to need a keeper that opens the batting like Kieswetter does for Somerset.

Not that I've seen Kuhn bat before but from what I've read most South African fans aren't too worried about Kieswetter not being available for selection as Heino Kuhn is that good.

Kuhn had a good innings last night. Can match Boucher's finishing role really well.

The only question mark about he is he isn't as good a keeper as boucher.

He's one of the best of all time, so that's not surprising.

Kieswetter signed a new three year Contract with Somerset this week too, he isn't going anywhere.

I definitely believe South Africa should call Craig Kieswetter. With Matt Prior having plenty of years left for England and as Mark Boucher seemingly close to retirement, kiewswetter seems the one that would fit the role. Having an average of 40 in FC and 39 in OD average is great, especially for someone who is just 22.

Craig Kieswetter, having turned his back and chose England may have to rethink his future. Should South Africa call him?

If he wants to play for South Africa, he has to give up his right to be a kolpak player, which then means he can only be signed as an International player. Considering the fact he is only 22, I'm sure he doesn't expect to be shifted into the International arena anytime soon, hopefully we might pick him for the Bangladesh tests and see how he fares.

Me and FatalShot had a long discussion about this in the tour thread so feel free to readit.

Why would a South African want to win the Ashes? It can't mean anything to them..

Last edited:
You know if Prior is in for the long haul at the keeper spot, Kieswetter is more than welcome to come down here and play for us. :laugh

Me and FatalShot had a long discussion about this in the tour thread so feel free to readit.

Haha, I must admit, I liked it quite a lot.

I like Kuhn. He's a good aggressive batsman, who can really take the game away from the opposition. His keeping isn't too bad. He's pretty athletic, but he's no Boucher, and it wouldn't really be fair to compare him to Boucher, who is one of the best modern day wicket keepers around. Kuhn however is a better batsman than Boucher. But seeing how Boucher played in the last test, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Still I would like South Africa to give Kuhn some T20 games, to get him ready for International Cricket.

Kuhn is a good enough keeper for South Africa, It's not like we will be breeding some new Warne which needs a great keeper. He is a better batsman than Boucher, and dare I say Kieswetter as well. He is part of the new breed of Keepers who sacrifice keeping ability for the extra runs. It would be quite funny if Kieswetter returned.

Kieswetter's keeping has been impressive whenever I've seen him on TV. He's no James Foster, but he's not bad, and is certainly International standard with the gloves from what I've seen (although for England that doesn't count for much, given our run of keepers in the last few years). I would like to see Kieswetter in the ODi and T20 sides, although he's behind Prior and Davies atm (in the selectors eyes anyway, not sure anyone else considers Matt Prior a viable option in limited overs cricket). Davies should have the spot, with Kieswetter next in line. Have high hopes for Kieswetter, looks a class act.

Users who are viewing this thread