South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
No surprises at all with the Australian squad. I expect us to have the same lineup if Watson isn't fit.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
What's with this rather long break between the games, just a coincidence or what?

cricketmad09

International Coach
Just read Ntini's comments. What a complete idiot. The reason why Tsolekile isn't in the team is because he has a piss poor batting record. Has nothing to do with his colour. It's comments and attitudes like this that have negative effects on racial harmony.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Just read Ntini's comments. What a complete idiot. The reason why Tsolekile isn't in the team is because he has a piss poor batting record. Has nothing to do with his colour. It's comments and attitudes like this that have negative effects on racial harmony.

Well if you read between the lines, given the shadow quota policy the proteas sadly still do practice - race certain has a reason for his selection and non selection.

Clearly those in power behind the scenes forced the saffies selectors to pick him even though he is clearly not the best keeper batsman in s africa since boucher retired. That accolade goes to white guys like heino kuhn, dane vilas and quinton de cock.

But i suspect the s african selectors on tour and in recent months (although they have not said this) dont want to pick tsolekile because they know he is crap and will mess up the team balance, and have instead decided to give de villiers the gloves, even if it risks curtailing his batting a bit.

Its a disappointing state of affairs and as i mentioned before in the thread, the author of the cricinfo article firdoose moonda (who is female of indian decent) has clearly been pushing an agenda for black/cape coloured players to be picked on cricinfo for a while now in a subtle manner. Which makes for appalling reading and as you said is just causing racial disharmony.

We al know the dismal history of race in south africa. But the government who be forcing those quotas need to fix the problem at the grassroots level, which see's most proteas blacks being predominantly football fans & the less for cricket etc. Instead of forcing the national team to pick these players.

SA are the best team in the world, but if anything is going to cause them
come down from the # 1 status is this continued shadow quota policy, since their best team is always being compromised.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Cricinfo says Watson won't be bowling in the 2nd Test. If he doesn't get picked, they obviously think Watson is not in the top 5 batsmen in the country. If he isn't, why is he being babied? eg. taken out of Champions League with $2 million bucks on the line. Surely an all-rounder who can't hold his place without his bowling can't be that good...

There was talk that Warner's place might be uncertain now that Cowan made a century and Watson was nearing full fitness again. Must say I agree...if I was selecting, I'd be picking Watson, picking Quiney while he's running hot, and let Warner cool his heels for the moment.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Clarke vs Bouncers in next match would be bloody awesome let see how the Captain responds.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Watson should be batting. If he's not that good of a batsman why the hell does he open or bat at 3?

I hope Lyon does very well in Adelaide, that wicket straight ball against Rudolph is a sign of things to come.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Really, really disappointing to see Kallis and Philander both out (not to mention JP), and even Steyn is looking down on pace and a long way from his best (of course I may eat my words later on).

On the other hand: fine-looking duck for Quiney.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Wickets down but positives for Australia. 100 up is good tempo and of course the South African attack has lost a couple of men already as well. Kallis didn't look too stuffed and I suspect his going off the field when he did could prevent South Africa from being down a batsman again.

Kallis did bowl a couple of beauties while he was out there. It was amazing that he only attempted the full, swinging ball twice and both times it was perfect.

Kleinveldt also looks a bit better than his last outing. His pace is better and is probably more enthused by the hardness of this pitch. His bouncer is on the up past the batsman rather than reaching the top of the bounce too early. I don't know if his length is really on the right spot, it is pushing the batsman back if anything, but he does seem to be hitting a consistent area.

It goes without saying that Morkel is also getting steepling bounce. Though he's bowled a bit funny at times. Where Steyn offered Warner length outside off, it was Morkel who dropped too full. But he has scarcely bowled one ball at the stumps. So he's tended to bowl short at the body and full outside off. When he gets to face Michael Clarke, it could be interesting.

Steyn has been a bit quiet so far, but he only tried pitching up a couple of times to Cowan. I think we'll get reverse swing later in this game (maybe soon if the ball spends much more time in the construction site), so we can reserve judgement a bit on Steyn. His 4th innings spell might be the match winner.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Good stuff Davey Warner :clap Can't believe anyone was thinking of dropping him for Quiney had Watson been fit. Still need him to hang with Clarke for another couple hundred more runs before I'll feel too comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread