South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

3. Steyn. I'd also just say that Steyn hasn't been the bowler he was in '08. Regularly 5-10 kmh slower than Morkel (instead of 5-10 kmh faster, which is what we saw last time). If Steyn was his normal self and Kallis stayed on the ground, we'd be talking about Australia all out for 200, IMO.
Steyn certainly hasn't been bowling as fast as he used to, at least not ball after ball, but let's not get too romantic; he only took 4/162 in Perth and 4/155 at Sydney, where there was a huge crack running down the wicket after day 3. He had a great series solely because he took 10 at Melbourne (and made a career high score too) and his performance there wasn't about pace so much as his swing with the new ball.

I think South Africa are a little unlucky, but not a lot. Who isn't having fitness problems with their seamers? Not England, not Australia, not India. Depth is a part of the process.

Michael Clarke with a double ton and Hussey gets out in the last ball of the innings. I think this will be a tie match.

mental capitulation by south africa, they just caved under the pressure. even india's toothless attack aquitted themselves better than this. an injury is no excuse, as angy says, most teams have fitness problems with their seamers, england will start their next test without finn and possibly broad while india have lost yadav.

still, blooming fantastic by clarke once again.

Magnificent from Clarke, really turned things round, and he's usually under the tap when he comes in, all the more impressive.

Whoa Clarke :eek:

Hope he gets the triple. And lol, Tahir is such an over-rated hack. I'd be surprised if we ever see him again.

mental capitulation by south africa, they just caved under the pressure. even india's toothless attack aquitted themselves better than this.

Nah India bowling attack were hammered just as much even more when they toured australia and england last year. Cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties (although many consistent trends repeats itself) -so i don't think such a sweeping generalization is fair.

Two average/poor bowling efforts from steyn and co should not understate their excellence as bowling unit over the past 4 years.

Last edited:
I know, I made that post deliberately to annoy you, war ;)

in all honesty I'll reserve judgement, but the signs aren't good and their performance so far has backed up a lot of my reservations about south africa being the first clear no.1s since australia.

Ha i'm not annoyed. I'm reserving judgement as well, but i just think currently the proteas have run into a clarke who is unbelievably good form & don't have answers for him & the other batsmen who have stepped.

Similarly to how the great aussie team ran into Laxman in 2001 & co or the english attack in 20005 they just didn't have answers. These things can happen to even the greatest teams on occasions, which is why i say 2 bad bowling innings can override what they have done as group for the last 4 years.

Michael Clarke Needs 523 Runs in order To break the record of most runs in a calendar year of Mohammad Yousuf [1788] . He Still has 8 innings left this year :)

Michael Clarke Needs 523 Runs in order To break the record of most runs in a calendar year of Mohammad Yousuf [1788] . He Still has 8 innings left this year :)

Debatable but Mohammed Yousuf played on harder tracks.

Steyn certainly hasn't been bowling as fast as he used to, at least not ball after ball, but let's not get too romantic; he only took 4/162 in Perth and 4/155 at Sydney, where there was a huge crack running down the wicket after day 3. He had a great series solely because he took 10 at Melbourne (and made a career high score too) and his performance there wasn't about pace so much as his swing with the new ball.

Isn't that a bit like saying "if you ignore Bradman's centuries, his average isn't all that high"? I'll grant you Steyn blows hot and cold a bit more than your average bowler, but he's looked positively frozen out there so far this series. It's not just being down on pace, either - for example, what was with all that new ball bowling wide of off to Ed Cowan while the ball was still moving?

Put it this way: if Steyn had 4/155 right now, SA would be in a far better position. He's a long way off the pace.

Users who are viewing this thread