South Africa

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
What good is a wicket keeper then ? One who cannot keep to a new bowler is not worthy of being included in the team to keep.

I think the media is simply hyping up Imran Tahir. They feel he will be a force to reckon with- somewhat on the lines of Ajantha Mendis. South Africa too have erred in not playing him during the ODI series against India.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I just hope that Tahir gets screwed on SC pitches, that'd be fun after so much hype.
Common, that guy haven't played even a single ODI against a top team. How you can just select him. Same applies to Morne Van Wyk.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
They wanted to play him a year ago, but he was deemed ineligible. It seems that once they were on the doorstep of the World Cup, they decided there was less and less reason to give him a token game and that's when this idea of hiding him came in.

The funny thing is that he's a former Pakistan domestic player, as well as a county pro. A lot of current players have played with him and teams would be remiss to not at least have some decent footage. His long resume vouches for his skills, but he's obviously not going to catch every single team by surprise.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think he's being over-hyped - over 500 FC wickets is some serious experience.

He is for sure, there were many who had awesome FC/dom. records but failed at international level.

I'm not saying that he would be screwed surely, but he is surely overhyped.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Obviously he is being over-hyped. Smith thinks that he might metamorphose this guy into a monster. Most new spinners have struggled in the SC. Won't be surprised if Tahir does not screw up. Agreed about the eligibility factor holding him back this long, but I have a feeling he ain't gonna make it big out here.

Morne van Wyk- doubt whether he'll actually get a game. Odds are that unless AB is injured or AB chooses to back out of a game, van Wyk won't play.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Botha still spins it a bit, as does Mendis...

If you mean they're less effective, then yea, they've been found out and gotten used too.

I wouldn't write off Tahir so soon.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Excellent first class record doesn't mean a thing. Rohit sharma scores double hundreds in FC but look how crap he's at international arena. Not everyone is capable of playing under pressure. Its a shame that Eden Garden is not ready in time, else some new players would feel what the real pressure is when they play in front of 90000 people scream down their neck.

stefan

International Coach
Boucher keeps well. I think what RSA wanted was a keeper who can bat as well. Of late, Mark Boucher has not been able to contribute much to his team's cause. Including Boucher in the team would mean sacrificing a position. His time is up and he knows it too. Possibly will play a few games post the World Cup and bid adieu.

On the other, as has surprised many of us, Albie's exclusion, surprises me too. RSA will feel his absence in the Cup.

Albie has had countless chances for SA and never consistently performed, he also struggled in the local 40 over competition for the titans. He can only blame himself, its his performances that cost him a place.

The only question about tahir is how he does under the pressure of international cricket. He has a very good record in domestic cricket in SA and England.

Comparing him to botha is unfair since botha has never been close to the top wicket taker in SA domestic cricket.

In think kallis's injury stopped the team from playing him in the series vs india. With the long tail they couldn't afford playing tahir since they needed seamers for SA conditions. With kallis back it opens up more variations.

I am confident that tahir will do well, maybe not against india and sri lanka but the rest of the teams he should do well if he handles the pressure of international cricket.

He is certainly a welcome addition compared to other spinners we have had over the years.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I have a feeling that SAF will be one of the flops of the tournament. Expecting them to lose against Holland / Ireland

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
^ atleast they didn't lose to holland/ireland

(hopefully they dont lose to ireland) :p

Users who are viewing this thread