South Africa's tour of India - October/December 2015

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Do you want to start fining countries pitches based on their overhead conditions?
If we were really to equate 1st day turn to anything, it would be 1st day seam movement considering both things are off the pitch, the drift a spinner gets is more similar to the swing a pace bowler gets.

My 2 cents on pitches like Nagpur is I don't mind them once a series, especially against the #1 side in the world, it brings both team's spinners into the game no matter how bad they are and tests the batters technique against turn just like a grassy pitch would test a batters technique against the seaming/swinging ball. I think the words "poor pitch" should strictly only be reserved for a dangerous pitch (you know like those old Perth pitches with cracks a foot long at various parts of the pitch, unpredictable and dangerous) or a road that leads to a draw by default, both of those are anti-cricket, nothing about the Nagpur pitch was dangerous and last I checked it provided provided a result.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If we were really to equate 1st day turn to anything, it would be 1st day seam movement considering both things are off the pitch, the drift a spinner gets is more similar to the swing a pace bowler gets.

My 2 cents on pitches like Nagpur is I don't mind them once a series, especially against the #1 side in the world, it brings both team's spinners into the game no matter how bad they are and tests the batters technique against turn just like a grassy pitch would test a batters technique against the seaming/swinging ball. I think the words "poor pitch" should strictly only be reserved for a dangerous pitch (you know like those old Perth pitches with cracks a foot long at various parts of the pitch, unpredictable and dangerous) or a road that leads to a draw by default, both of those are anti-cricket, nothing about the Nagpur pitch was dangerous and last I checked it provided provided a result.

So what would you call Mumbai 2004 then?

Epic

Panel of Selectors
So what would you call Mumbai 2004 then?
Here's what I remember from that Test considering I don't think I saw it live, we were losing the series 2-0 and pulled that sort of wicket out of the bag and that though day 1 was washed out the Test ended in 3 days... :lol[DOUBLEPOST=1450291763][/DOUBLEPOST]Another thing we must ask ourselves is, is a Test match supposed to be 5 days or are the 5 days there as a safety net to get 4 innings in and provide a result, if it's the latter then there's absolutely nothing wrong with a totally bowler friendly wicket 1 out of 4 Tests in a series, just like there's nothing wrong with a totally batsmen friendly wicket that provides a result.

PokerAce

Banned
CWaGtcXUEAAfXp3.jpg

Pitch for second test NZ vs SL. Beautiful isn't it ... no chance of ICC rating this one 'poor'.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
CWaGtcXUEAAfXp3.jpg

Pitch for second test NZ vs SL. Beautiful isn't it ... no chance of ICC rating this one 'poor'.

Well, that's a garden. Looks unsporting as hell. May be more than Nagpur. The only thing is that the people we spent pages arguing with are going to be deep in their rat holes in hiding now.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The argument will be obvious - India started it and has set a bad precedence !! so everything is fair now

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Im waiting for the match to start before commenting on it...

PokerAce

Banned
Btw why is NZ SL not being broadcast in India ... or is there anyone broadcasting it. I think this is the first ever when a series involving two major cricketing nations is not being broadcast in India.[DOUBLEPOST=1450369922][/DOUBLEPOST]
The argument will be obvious - India started it and has set a bad precedence !! so everything is fair now

As @grkrama pointed out with that link, NZ pitches have been extreme and were even 'under prepared' by Stephan Fleming's own admission during that India series. Yet did the ICC find that pitch poor ... NO.

PokerAce

Banned
CWdV6PQWoAItaTj.jpg

3NvYtq5.jpg

mC7TuM2.jpg

4CdSkAt.jpg

Those reserving judgement untill play started, does that pitch look too green or does that pitch look too green? Anyone wants to rate this pitch poor? Or is it that only when teams outside the subcontinent don't get a pitch to their liking, when playing in Asia, that the pitch becomes poor. It is clearly okay to ask teams from the subcontinent to play on your garden wickets, like Lord's vs India, or this Hamilton Orchard, without a second thought though.

Abhil

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I don't know about others but NewZeland has worlds most beutiful cricket stadiums and grounds with beutiful scenic beuty.I love this pitch.However a normal pitch would have been much better.

Users who are viewing this thread