Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not to worry though Barmy. I've heard that when the SS Cronje was lost off the coast of Cape Horn, they made the good ship I.C.C. They cleverly strengthened and isolated each chamber. Rumour has it that it's now unsinkable.

Wonder if there's enough lifeboats :p

War

Chairman of Selectors
As you say the worry is that this is the tip of a very large iceberg.

No doubt about it. With the ICC so lameduck and being dictated to by Indian where the heart of match-fixing came from, I wouldn't be surprised if their is ALOT more to be uncovered.

After all Marlon Samuels from the windies got caught for minor involvement with bookies and was banned for two years recently, so that tell us that the possibility that players from all over the world have potentially had bookies come to them.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I really hope Akmals are investigated. I think Kamran Akmal is the ring leader of fixers in Pakistan team. He practically gifted away the Sydney test to Australia. That beaver needs to be put behind bars. I don't intend to insult the hardworking animal that is beaver. Its just the teeth that lead to the comparison. :rolleyes

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
One thing I find highly baffling in all of this, is the complete and utter shambles that the fixers organisation turned out to be. The arrogance and confidence that they wouldn't be apprehended is staggering. Were I ever involved in such a thing there would be cover stories, fall guys etc. I, and anyone else who wanted to do business with me, would be making 100% sure that as little culpability can come back.

The moment the lid was blown, the defence case of the four as a unit has been as well put together as a Phil Tufnell century. When this initially came to light I had every confidence that somehow there would be a united front that might have unpicked the prosecution. Instead they pretty much seem to have dragged each down.

To me, that suggest some people have been doing this for a long time and been so comfortable with it, that they just got too comfortable with the way of life.

----------

I really hope Akmals are investigated. I think he is the ring leader of fixers in Pakistan team. He practically gifted away the Sydney test to Australia. That beaver needs to be put behind bars. I don't intend to insult the hardworking animal that is beaver. Its just the teeth that lead to the comparison. :rolleyes

Haha, my post that I just wrote initially ended by jokingly asking who the hell owns Kamran Akmal? At times I actually used to joke he was throwing matches, as there was absolutely no way that the player I saw make headway in his first 6 months as an international cricketer, was ever capable of being that terrible. Some of his drops just looked so unbelievable obvious and he'd throw his wicket away for no reason, or counter to that, suddenly just start pelting the bowling for a few overs.

If he has never attempted to influence a match, then he is the worst gloveman I've ever had the misfortune to watch. Which he wasn't. For about a year... Hmmm...

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
One of my Pakistani friends told me that Kamran Akmal's father in law is actually a bookie. I don't know if it's true but if it is, I wouldn't be surprised.

In fact, looks like there are a few articles where he is alleged to be a bookie or is denying those allegations. Hmm, looks like Zulqarnain Haider says the same thing.

Last edited:

6ry4nj

International Coach
One thing I find highly baffling in all of this, is the complete and utter shambles that the fixers organisation turned out to be. The arrogance and confidence that they wouldn't be apprehended is staggering. Were I ever involved in such a thing there would be cover stories, fall guys etc. I, and anyone else who wanted to do business with me, would be making 100% sure that as little culpability can come back.

The moment the lid was blown, the defence case of the four as a unit has been as well put together as a Phil Tufnell century. When this initially came to light I had every confidence that somehow there would be a united front that might have unpicked the prosecution. Instead they pretty much seem to have dragged each down.

To me, that suggest some people have been doing this for a long time and been so comfortable with it, that they just got too comfortable with the way of life.

This is because the guys who were caught were complete amateurs, as can be seen from the pathetic amounts of money they were (caught) making. People in their networks were making millions on each fixed bet, and those people's cover doesn't appear to have been blown.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Sentencing as I type this. The judge has said straight away that they are all going to prison.

----------

Majeed 2 years and 8 months.

I imagine Butt may get something similar, with smaller sentences for Asif and smaller still for Amir.

----------

And confirmed by the judge -

"Judge tells Butt he will get harsher sentence than other players and he holds him responsible for corrupting Amir."

----------

30 months for Butt - 2 1/2 years.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Salman butt 2 years 6 months. Rot in jail for murdering our dreams bastards :cheers

----------

Aamir may get 1.5 to two years here.

----------

Aamir gets six month and Asif is imprisoned for an year

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
I'm hearing Amir is actually going to a young offenders institute.

To those that don't know the UK system, they can all be let out on license after serving half their term. So come half way through they'll be able to go in front of a panel who will dictate if they have behaved well during jail time and if they have remorse for their crimes.

Roughly what I thought it was going to be sentence wise.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Finally, this has occurred.

All sentences increased by 1 year would have been better, but still "Something is better than nothing".

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
To those that don't know the UK system, they can all be let out on license after serving half their term. So come half way through they'll be able to go in front of a panel who will dictate if they have behaved well during jail time and if they have remorse for their crimes.

Pretty sure the UK is the only place in the world where defrauding bookermakers is treated seperately from general fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread