Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

After all Marlon Samuels from the windies got caught for minor involvement with bookies and was banned for two years recently, so that tell us that the possibility that players from all over the world have potentially had bookies come to them.

I'm sure Shakib and Iqbal both reported approaches, and a couple of sri lankans were implicated as being approached and there seemed to be some truth to those stories.

Quite shocked by the length of the sentences in truth. I'm not sure how Butt deserved so much more than Asif. Asif doesn't seem like the sort of person that needed encouraging.

also I'm not sure Asif only deserved 6 months more than Amir. I mean he was clearly far more heavily involved and he pleaded not-guilty, maybe it was the lack of evidence the judge mentioned though.

However, as a deterrent against this sort of thing it sends a strong message. Pretty sure a lot of players will think twice. The only question is, why wasn't Cronje trialled?

Quite shocked by the length of the sentences in truth. I'm not sure how Butt deserved so much more than Asif. Asif doesn't seem like the sort of person that needed encouraging.

The judges summary indicates that Butt's sentence was alot longer as he pressured Amir but most importantly was the one who took the final decision to go ahead. It all rested on him bowling the pair at said time.

Whilst it is odd that Cronje was never criminally prosecuted, he did receive a lifeban from cricket for his actions. Now, considering the ICC sets the bans for the cricketing side of the equation, why not the same treatment for these three?

Do people think they should receive life bans on top of their sentence? Should cricket be turning its back on them as they turned their backs on the loyalty and support of millions of fans?

Point with Cronje is all fairly moot though, as he's dead. Wasn't that long after the fixing was uncovered and there have been numerous rumours that a criminal prosecution would have been bought about were it not for his plane crash.

But again, different jurisdictions make it hard to judge. The only thing we can judge on is what the ICC do, although they have no criminal power, they do have power over the sport, regardless of where the activity happened.

In the long term, I don't see the UK ever giving visa's to any of the sentenced in the future. I think the stance of many other countries would be similar. So in the unlikely event they are allowed to play cricket again (and Amir is really the only likely candidate), I can't see it being outside of Pakistan/Dubai.

We just don't know what the future holds.

I do think the ICC has been seriously misguided in its statements. "Corruption is not rampant", etc. To instill confidence they really need to be saying "We will increase our efforts to ensure our sport retains its integrity and will work with our boards to do this.".

Just smacks of continued weakness.

At least this ensures that these guys won't be playing any cricket for awhile - unless they have cricket in prison ;)

I think the sentences are a good deterrent for the well-paid players, they may think twice now the legal ramifications are clear. The amount of money potentially involved if you're smart about it will still be worth the risk to some though, namely the lower-paid players.

Now, if only the ICC will hand out lifebans, it could send waves through all the bookies and match-fixers out there.

Why do I just have the feeling that a lot of people in the sub-continent are looking at this case and going "bloody amateurs. Ruined it for the rest of us..."?

No doubt about it. With the ICC so lameduck and being dictated to by Indian where the heart of match-fixing came from, I wouldn't be surprised if their is ALOT more to be uncovered.

After all Marlon Samuels from the windies got caught for minor involvement with bookies and was banned for two years recently, so that tell us that the possibility that players from all over the world have potentially had bookies come to them.

Yup Ofcourse.

I have little sympathy for bookies who are happy to offer spot bets in order to take money. You live by the sword then you die by the sword and spot bets are always incredibly likely to be targeted for fixing as they're easier to fix - unless you are a gormless moron and can't bowl a convincing no ball on demand.

Makes the Screws v Inmates game at Wandsworth more interesting too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread