Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

Even if he did, would he get visas when playing abroad? He certainly wouldn't get one for the UK and don't UAE have fairly strict rules on criminal records and visas, even if said criminal activity didn't take place there?

yeah, he would, and why wouldn't he get one in the uk?

I don't think there really is a law against people with convictions not getting visas, and I doubt even more that it could be applied to someone from a member of the commonwealth with whom there are special trade agreements.

not so sure about the UAE though.

18 is more than old enough to know what he was doing is wrong.

I don't buy the humble origins crap. Some people have said it's pretty likely he has been fixing domestic cricket in Pakistan as a youth, this was nothing new to him.

He just couldn't fess up and take the heat like a man, none of them did and it doesn't surprise me.

Dont completely believe his story. Part of it might be true, but the idea to save his career was for Butt to fall and they did that. I think he knew what he signed up for. Anyways whats done is done, hopefully he has learned his lesson.

Some interesting stuff from Nick Hoult on twitter basically saying that there is quite a bit of evidence contradicting his version of events and giving it in a interview rather than in court means that it doesn't have to stand up to cross-examination.

It was amazing how quickly he distanced himself from Butt in the fallout, yet without ever saying anything. Since day one he's been looking after himself and has played to the crowd in terms of the innocent young child led astray.

Gotta love the "with allah's grace" crap as well. I'm assuming he prayed to Allah to help him get away with his crime as well...

Last edited:
Cricket legend Rahul Dravid says it would
be "great" if Pakistan paceman Mohammad
Amir could return to cricket after his five-
year ban is completed.
The former India batsman, now retired from
international cricket, believes his comeback would
be a "challenge".
Dravid told the BBC: "He's a superb player and
when he's served his ban, I'd hope he'd be able
to come back,"
But he added: "It's not easy to stay away from
the game for so long, to not play it, and be able
to come back."
Amir, banned for his part in a spot-fixing scandal,
has blamed ex-captain Salman Butt for getting
him involved.
The 19-year-old left-arm seamer was released
from prison in February after serving half of his
six month sentence for his part in the affair.
Butt, bowler Mohammad Asif and agent Mazhar
Majeed remain in prison for plotting no-balls
against England in 2010.
Dravid said he was "disappointed" at what had
happened but hoped Amir could, in time,
rediscover the form that made him one of the
world's most feared bowlers.
"It's been disappointing as [I am] someone who
loves the game, and loves watching young talent
come through," said Dravid, the second highest
run scorer in Test history.
"It was difficult on everybody across the world
who saw such a young talent, and unfortunately
he made a few mistakes.
"We all want him to come back at some stage
and I don't know whether that's... it's going to be
a challenge.
"I hope he can do it; it would be great if he can."
bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17450413?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

^^ Dravid has no other job these days.

I don't care who is involved, ban them for life from all sorts of cricket so other cricketers have some fear.

Marlon Samuels is back and playing for WI and he's doing well, and the team doesn't mind his presence, also got contracts with BPL/IPL
so why not Aamer?

Marlon Samuels is back and playing for WI and he's doing well, and the team doesn't mind his presence, also got contracts with BPL/IPL
so why not Aamer?

I said anyone involved in match fixing needs to be banned. Marlon Samuels, Shane Warne, Ajay Jadeja all got off easy. If they had been banned for life there would have been fear. ICC is doing the same mistake again. Today Ajay Jadeja is a cricket expert on news channels. ICC should refuse to even let these channels cover cricket.

Last edited:
Shane Warne wasn't involved in match fixing. He gave info about conditions to bookies but he's never been accused of anything beyond that.

Shane Warne wasn't involved in match fixing. He gave info about conditions to bookies but he's never been accused of anything beyond that.

That we know of ;)

He pretty much fixed every game against England so that Australia won, seems like cheating to me.

18 is more than old enough to know what he was doing is wrong.

I don't buy the humble origins crap. Some people have said it's pretty likely he has been fixing domestic cricket in Pakistan as a youth, this was nothing new to him.

He just couldn't fess up and take the heat like a man, none of them did and it doesn't surprise me.

We should all concentrate on the facts, not the rumours.

And on the subject of visas, to visit the UK you can get a visa irrespective of your criminal status. Not sure about the UAE, they might be a bit stricter on that.

yeah, he would, and why wouldn't he get one in the uk?

I don't think there really is a law against people with convictions not getting visas, and I doubt even more that it could be applied to someone from a member of the commonwealth with whom there are special trade agreements.

not so sure about the UAE though.

Served jail time in the country and committed an offence on his last visa to the country. Not to mention the ECB would undoubtedly object.

And on the subject of visas, to visit the UK you can get a visa irrespective of your criminal status

Wrong.

from uk border agency page

An ECO must not refuse an applicant because of their criminal record if the conviction is spent. Failure to declare an unspent conviction may cast doubt on the applicant's truthfulness. Concealment of information or lack of frankness in any matter may raise doubt about the reliability of information supplied by the applicant elsewhere in the application.

I deal with immigrants at my job every day dude. I think I know how it works (it's also extremely unlikely that touring athletes of any sport are in on permanent visas, though in honesty I do not know what visas they would use as obvs I don't deal with high paying sports stars. most likely one from the highly skill migrant or temporary agreed work placement type one)

Users who are viewing this thread