harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Anybody has tips on playing the square drive (one of my fav shots from C2k4). Unfortunately they've made this shot horrible to play in 2k5 and I haven't even executed a single successful one so far. Even the notorious hook I've managed once or twice, but never the square drive. The CPU never bowls that length and outside the off stump...

harishankar said:
Anybody has tips on playing the square drive (one of my fav shots from C2k4). Unfortunately they've made this shot horrible to play in 2k5 and I haven't even executed a single successful one so far. Even the notorious hook I've managed once or twice, but never the square drive. The CPU never bowls that length and outside the off stump...
The only time I really use it is against spin bowlers and advancing down the track. Otherwise I feel that the ball is never bowled wide enough to connect. This means that it normally ends in an edge or a mis-hit. But against spin bowlers it's quite easy to keep on top of.

The spinners never seem to bowl outside off stump. In fact, most of the balls are pitched either just on off-stump or within the stumps...

Too bad. All those off-side shots are wasted, including the cut... it's getting boring playing the leg-glance and even that one is caught by the keeper every now and then...

I can only play advance down the wicket square drive and not a standard one. To hit the shot, take stance on leg or outside leg and play the shot to a ball pitched on off or outside off. Off spinners generally pitch the ball outside off and you should be able to practice the shot against them.

I have found cut shots (both off the front foot and back foot) to be the most difficult shots to play in this game. You have to be good with the timing as you can get bowled playing on to the stumps, can get an edge to keeper or get caught in the gully. Here's how you play these shots :-

1. Backfoot square cut (left + 'Triangle' - back foot button) - Play this shot to fast bowlers when they bowl really shot (bowl pitched near umpire's head or thereabouts) outside off. Also, your stance should be outside leg. The best pitch to play this shot is 'Hard' as it's tough to time the shot well on other pitches. It's tough to play the shot when your confidence is low but once the confidence is up, you should be able to play the shot. Key to the shot is timing. Press the button around the time when the ball hits the pitch. If the bowling speed is less, press just after the ball hits the pitch and if it's full speed, press the button around the same time as ball hits the pitch. Practice it in the nets to get an idea when to press the button and after that move on to matches to get a hang of the shot.

2. Late cut (left & up + 'X' - front foot button) - I only this shot to spinners when there are no slips in place. Timing is same as the previous shot. Play this shot to off spinners for right handers and offsinners, left hand chinamen bowlers for left handed batsmen. You will be able to steer the ball past the keeper, via vacant slip position for a boundary or at least a couple.

Obviously transfer it from left to right for a left handed batsman.

Done it once, off of Razzak of Bangladesh.

u can play it against a lg spn bwlr if he bowls a slow ball outside off stump and it needs much room also so you must take your batsman outside leg stump

Users who are viewing this thread