What Cricket 2006 should have - improvements over Crkt 2005

pumpino69

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
saisrini80 said:
Not interested really in EA 2006!

More interested in "The Cricket project" being made by our forum member legend_master! I bet its going to be better than these commercial titles that promise so much but fail to deliver!

Can you give more information concerning this project. I certainly would be very interested in a game better than both Cricket 05 and BLIC 05

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Drewska said:
Maybe some sort of manual fielding? The fielding is BLIC is cool.

There is a manual fielding option but I find the camera angles confusing

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
In my opinion, HB Studios have always had the potential to produce a realistic cricket experience that is fun to play on our PC, PlayStation 2 or Xbox.
The problem is that the programmers are given limitations and deadlines to meet, which means that certain features have to be sacrificed and certain errors may be overlooked. There's no doubt that they have the skill. Another element to take into account is that HB Studios are based in Nova Scotia, Canada. Cricket interest is extremely limited there.
I wouldn't boycott their games just because of the disappointing titles that have been rid with restrictions and deadlines in the past. Each and every one was a solid base that has sadly never been built from. I'm willing to give Cricket 06 a go when or if it's released.
pumpino69, The Cricket Project is one man's dream of producing the best cricket video game ever and from what has been released so far it looks to be almost a reality. I'm lucky enough to be the owner of it's official website. Check it out at http://www.thecricketproject.com/.

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Maybe cricket 2006 (or 07) can be developed or tested in a cricket playing nation like UK or Australia. That way some of obvious gameplay bugs can be removed.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Not being rude, but thecricketproject looks to be a good online game for free, but I wouldn't pay even ?10 to buy that from a store. This is only my honest opinion. If it is an online game, it would be way better than stick cricket!

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
My major bugbare is the way the CPU handles it's bowlers. It ssems to stick rigidly with the opener regarless of how badly he is bowling. Also, 1st change bowler seems to be a batter, i.e. Tendulka, Gayle, Katich. Then they bowl for hours and the main sipn bowler doesnt get on all. Warne hardly bowls at all when Clarke and Katich bowl 20 overs each.

CPU should be more intelligent in using it's bowlers.

StormySteve

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
alfa_beta said:
I have played both Cricket 2005 and Brian Lara 2005 on PS2 for more than a month now and let me complement EA by saying that I have found Cricket 2005 to be a much better and more realistic game. Even though it takes quite a while to get hang of the game, especially batting, it's a must-have for any genuine cricket fan. I found Brian lara 2005 too arcadey and easy. However there are still a plenty of things that need to be improved in EA Cricket 2005 and here's my list :-

1. Some of the LBWs given during the game are plain not out... especially when the ball pitches outside leg.

2. Batsmen take ages to get back in case you cancel a run... in fact I have never made it safely after canceling a run. Maybe it shouldn't take such a long time for the batsman to return back to the crease... I have been playing the game for 4 weeks now and I still average 3 run-outs an innings!

3. Reduced file-save size. Currently a saved game takes a lot of memory... this is simply too much! Brian Lara 2005 only takes up 150 KB or so to save the game.

4. Batsman should be able to place the ball anywhere in a 360 degree arc. E.g. by using the analog controller on PS2's dualshock2 pad, a player should be able to guide the ball in the gaps, thus evading the fielders. Currently, a batsman can only hit any given shot in a pre-determined path. For example, a cover drive only has 2-3 paths to travel to the boundary and if those gaps are plugged by fielders, u can't find the gaps and get a boundary. In Brian lara 2005, by using the analog controller u can place the ball in a 360 degree arc and thus you have more control over shot placement and thus more chances of evading a fielder. Maybe you should look at Brian Lara 2005 for the same. Maybe there should be an attribute like 'Ability to find gap' for batsmen and better batsmen like Tendulkar and Lara should find it much easier to evade fielders as compared to tailenders.

5. Confidence meter simply takes too long to be filled up. Maybe the confience meter can be filled up at different rates for different batsmen - the better a batsman, quicker it should fill. And maybe the meter is partly filled up depending on how good a batsman is - it could be filled up to a high level for a batsman like Lara or Tendulkar and at a lower level for a player like Collingwood.

6. Too many run outs in the game... this aspect needs to be worked on.

7. Some gameplay glitches need to be fixed. For example a batsman usually edges a ball when on driving a full toss on leg stump to the wicket keeper (especially against spinners)! This never happens in a real match. There are other glitches as well and will post them as I remember them.

8. Fielding and animation should be improved. Brian lara 2005 is much better in this respect. The only aspect where Crkt 2K5 is better is in player similarities but in animation a lot of improvement is required. Sometimes fielders appear to moonwalk and animation of fielders throwing the ball without winding up their arms is plain weird!

9. I can't play against myself in Crkt 2005. For example I bat first in a odi and after the 1st innings I save my match. When I load the saved game I can't change my team to bat and chase the target. I can do this in BL 2K5. I wud love this feature to be included in Crkt 2K5 coz after sometime, when u have mastered the game, u can still play the game against yourself. Unfortunately can't do so now. I should be able to save a match and choose any side (batting or fielding) when I load the game.

10. Timing in the nets is not the same as actual gameplay. Maybe the nets need to reflect the timing in the real match.

11. Commentary is simply pathetic! Commentators are generally wrong about most of the things - the direction in which shot was played, the no. of balls it took to reach a milestone (50 or 100) and other stats.

12. Run rates and reqd run rates are not calculated accurately.

13. When a team wins a match while chasing, the commentator announces that the chasing team won by 1 run. This should be corrected to reflect the number of wkts by which the chasing team wins.

14. The game is a bit too slow as compared to Brian Lara 2005. It takes a longer time to finish a 50 over odi in Crkt 2005 as compared to Brian Lara 2005. Maybe you can speed up things a bit.

15. Occasionally the controller doesn't respond at all - sometimes when you want to cancel a run, the game doesn't respond to the button press for a while. Same thing happens sometimes while taking leg byes... the batsmen refuse to run even though you press the 'Run' button.

16. Batsmen can't take a run when bowlers appeal... this costs plenty of runs and is unrealistic.

17. 'Generate Innings' feature doesn't generate a reasonable score in tests. Most of the times, for a team like Aus the score is between 200 and 300 which is not realistic at all - I found these results when conditions were ideal for batting on 'normal' pitch and on a 'sunny' and 'warm' day.

18. AI shouldn't choose back or front shots on 'Easy' mode for you. The only difference between 'Easy' and other modes should be that the timing should be easier but you should be able to choose which shots you want to play (back foot or front foot). This in fact creates a lot of confusion and thus I moved to 'Medium' mode and am sure 'Easy' mode is of no use because of this 'auto-shot-select' feature of the game. Please note that gamers want to judge line and length for themselves and don't require too much of spoon feeding.

19. Some of the shots are way too tough to time like 'Hook', 'Square Drive', 'Square Cut' and 'Glide to 3rd man'. Trust me, I have tried to successfully play these shots but have simply failed! I agree that some shots shouldn't be too easy but surely pulling a long-hop off a spinner or a medium pacer shouldn't be too tough for most batsmen. Similarly, shots on the off side are way too difficult to time, even for a good batsman, and most of the times gamers rely on 1 or 2 shots to get runs. In fact I get 99% of my runs on the leg side playing on drive, glance or sweep. I don't use any othet shot at all and maybe you can look at this feature a bit.

20. The help book or tutorial should have some hints on timing of a shot. Maybe something like this will do... For on-drive, press direction button (right and down for a right handed batsman) and 'X' just before the ball hits the pitch. Most of the times I had to rely on fellow posters to tell me the exact timing of a shot as Nets are simply no help at all. This way people don't have to go to various forums instead of playing the game :)

I hope somebody at EA reads this post and incorporate a few things from the list.

Great points here, may I make a suggestion? Why don't you print this off and send it straight to HB Studio's in Canada, their address is on their website you may/may not get a physical reply but stick down some contact details and who knows... I think sending it to EA would be a waste of time and I don't think that EA or HB to be honest (I could be wrong) read posts here...

Further to above...

Your No 9 point you can with gaMCHanger 2, very handy program is this...

I would like to be able to have the option to pick the CPU's line ups too and basically to be able to fully edit all aspects of the game...

Above all some of these bugs that still exist from previous versions really do need clearing up!!!

Cheers,

Steve S.

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Steve,
I posted these points on EA's website and they have assured me that the developers will get to read thes points I listed... here's the link to the thread I posted on EA's forum :-

http://forum.easports.co.uk/viewtop...&start=0&sid=f64078dbedf7b86c819c52b964e2265e

I agree with the point about selecting your opponent's playing XI. That way you can have an all pace attack or a spin dominated attack if you feel like facing fast bowlers or spinners. Right now if I want to practice against spinners, I have to wait for a long time before AI brings in a spinner. But if I could choose opponent playing XI, I wud be able to select a bowling attack comprising mainly of spinners and that way I won't have to wait an eternity before spinners are brought in to bowl.

Right now I'm at a stage where I can beat World XI easily even with a side like USA and now I'm thinking about going back to Brian Lara 2K5 coz over there I can play against myself... I bat first, put up a huge total, save the game and chase the total I put up!

In cricket 2005, the best I can do is play test and declare my 1st innings after the 1st over and try chasing the combined total put up by the comp in my 2nd innings. But as far as odis go, they are a piece of cake coz the highest total AI makes is around 320 (with 'Autoplay' feature).

StormySteve

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
alfa_beta said:
Steve,
I posted these points on EA's website and they have assured me that the developers will get to read thes points I listed... here's the link to the thread I posted on EA's forum :-

http://forum.easports.co.uk/viewtop...&start=0&sid=f64078dbedf7b86c819c52b964e2265e

I agree with the point about selecting your opponent's playing XI. That way you can have an all pace attack or a spin dominated attack if you feel like facing fast bowlers or spinners. Right now if I want to practice against spinners, I have to wait for a long time before AI brings in a spinner. But if I could choose opponent playing XI, I wud be able to select a bowling attack comprising mainly of spinners and that way I won't have to wait an eternity before spinners are brought in to bowl.

Right now I'm at a stage where I can beat World XI easily even with a side like USA and now I'm thinking about going back to Brian Lara 2K5 coz over there I can play against myself... I bat first, put up a huge total, save the game and chase the total I put up!

In cricket 2005, the best I can do is play test and declare my 1st innings after the 1st over and try chasing the combined total put up by the comp in my 2nd innings. But as far as odis go, they are a piece of cake coz the highest total AI makes is around 320 (with 'Autoplay' feature).

Ok Mate,

Will have a look over there :cheers

Cheers,

Steve S.

Users who are viewing this thread