Your Cricket Starting to play cricket ?

I'm in a similar situation the only difference is that I'm 28! :eek:

I absolutely love the game and I've found a cricket coach close to home that does net sessions. He's taken video footage of my bowling and batting. It's the best learning tool ever! I can go back and forth and analyize all my mistakes and also see how my progress is.

I'm a little late for this season but my coach has put me on to his club so I can train in the off season with them and start well prepared next season!! :cool:

i only started playing 3 years ago as a little kid who batted at 11 and never bowled lol now i open the bowling and bat at 4 but i have a big build so its eaiser for me im also 17

mitchell johnson started playing at like 15 or 16

Here is the killer, Shoaib Akhtar started playing cricket at 20 years old!

You guys pwn. Starting to play cricket is one of the best things i've ever done. I love it, and just thrive to play more and more cricket. I am currently working on my medium pace bowling (got some swing last week at the indoor session :D) and also working on some off-spin aswell, getting a tennis ball to spin on concrete is easy but its harder getting a cricket ball to spin on a crappy muddy non bouncing pitch.

I am also starting to get the knack of batting, now that i've learnt to prod and poke instead of slog ( :p ) i am getting better. I've had my Woodworm Torch for 2 indoor sessions, and 2 outside sessions with my Dad. Just ordered a lime green grip for it aswell, should make it look awesomer.

So, thanks again for pursuading me to start guys, love the sport even more now :D.

Another update:
Been playing every saturday since the winter nets ended 3/5 weeks ago, have summer evening nets starting on Thursday, which i am really looking forward to. I have really developed quickly imo, have started bowling pretty quick with a proper run up, have developed a slower ball, which decieves my dad every time :P and my Batting has come up a treat. I am starting to middle the ball quite frequently and i managed to keep my wicket intact very well, i am abit too aggressive with the bat though.

Anyway, good news, I have been picked for my first ever game of cricket next sunday. I cant wait, all my hard work over the winter has paid off and i've been picked for the first match of the season. Really hope i perform and do well, and play as well as i know i can. Really looking forward to it, and its all thanks to you guys that gave me the belief to start playing. Cheers again guys :D

That is good to here.

Just some advice from a spinner telling you about fast bowling :p. Just look to get it in the right areas, pace is not a neccessity because if you are all over the shop then the batsmen can hit it easier because he doesn't have to worry about getting bowled.

With batting, I am actually a batsmen so I know a bit more in this area :D. Just look to be defensive early on. Don't go for the huge shots because you won't be settled in and know what the bowler/s are like. Just take your time and get settled in. After few overs or so you could probably start to try and put away the wide ones.

Good luck for your first game! Enjoy, have fun and use my batting tips and you will be alright :p

hi i struggle getting my pitching right, full toss every ball, i am a RMF for my age, any help?

i am a batter though :p

try snapping your wrist a little more. Bowl with a flatter action and aim at about off stump.

Reading about the bowling machines different clubs have, and I'm intruiged. The one recently bought by my club fires red tennis balls at you, is that the same for all of you of do you have proper cricket-ball bowling machines?

Ours fires these golf ball style things, almost as hard as cricket balls, but yellow with golf dimples and spin and bounce a bit more.

Jaztheman said:
hi i struggle getting my pitching right, full toss every ball, i am a RMF for my age, any help?

i am a batter though :p

Release it later, but not too late or you'll just bowl short. Hopefully outdoor nets star on Tuesday, only had about 3 indoor nets, one outdoor where I terrorised someone, partly due to a poor wicket though. Meh, I'm twice the player I was at the end of the last season anyway.

Your trying to bowl to quick (y)
Just let it go.
Build a rhythm.

Users who are viewing this thread