Strongest team in the history of cricket

Which is/was the strongest team ever?

• Total voters
who would understand it better than u... :p

let me announce it too - It was sarcasm indeed.

For some reason I think that Marshall Garner Holding et al wont have too much respect for the Invincibles or any other team for that matter.. the raw aggression that they came with made them quite difficult, and backed up by the quality batsmen they had... it was quite an awesome team. I guess it would have been a close matchup with that team and Bradman's but even though Bradman might have still made runs against them, he alone would not have been enough to stop the Windies 70-80s team. So my vote goes to the Windies.

sachinisgod said:
Bradman's Invincibles(rightly called so)...they ought to be the best - history books say so...for one they had Bradman himself, then they had a few fearsome bowlers and they had a batsman who when hit a double hundred - Bradman called to his teammates in the dressing room and said - "come here and look at this. you won't ever see batting like this."(donno that batter's name)...
Wasnt that Stan McCabe?

The other point I wanted to raise, and I may be wrong but wasn't the 1948 team kinda like today's Australian team in that they didnt have really that much competition to contend with? Sometimes hype might build up so much that we cannot objectively assess things too much. I agree that Bradman's stats are beyond reproach and he is probably the best batsman ever, but the rest of the team was "very good" at best. If they only played against teams that were not very good then how can we really say that they were "Invincible"? The only way to say that would be if we could play the 1948 Aussies against today's Aussies and the Windies from their era and if they remain unbeaten then they would be really deservedly Invincibles. Since that can't happen, we are all left to our opinions, aren't we?

Last edited:
What's everyone talking about - it's obviously the Worcestershire team of the late 80's that won the County Championship twice ;)

Newport, Illingworth, Neale, Radford....................... :hpraise :p

Will p said:
Windies team w/ ambrose n walsh n adams n the likes
Adams? If you are talking about Jimmy Adams then by the time he was in the team WI were no longer any good as a team. They were carried through by Ambrose and Walsh and Lara only.

zimrahil said:
What's everyone talking about - it's obviously the Worcestershire team of the late 80's that won the County Championship twice ;)

Newport, Illingworth, Neale, Radford....................... :hpraise :p

A sadly disillusioned man is our Zim...;)

In a follow-up to my previous post in this forum:
Has anyone tried to create a fictitious series between these great teams on the various statistical emulators for cricket that are out there? I mean the ITC games which claim to be the best statistical emulators for cricket can be used for that just for fun... can someone create a series between these teams or has that been already done?
I have ITC but I dont think these teams are in there.

Edit: Maybe I will do that as soon as I have a bit of time. Will let you guys know!

Last edited:
that'll be interesting..make it 80s WI v Waughs Aussies if possible.

jonah said:
A sadly disillusioned man is our Zim...

:boxing... or maybe I need...... :help

no you are right...its the late nights, I am off to :sleep with my :love or is that just :upray ???

I will do a league between the Invincibles, the Waugh aussies and the windies. I will need to create teams and take the stats from CricInfo but to do that I need the specific team. I will take the stats and players from the 1948 team for the Invincibles, but which year do you want me to use for the Windies and Waugh's teams?

Waugh's team of 2000 I'd say when they won 16 tests in a row..WI of 82/83.

what about the kent team in 70's when they had 10 internationals in the side, knott and the likes!

OK I am having some problems here. I made the new squad for the Invincibles and to test it out before I made the other squads I made them play a series against the Australian team that was already in ITC. The Invincibles played a 6 test series and lost 6-0. I will try to figure out if there is a problem with how I entered the stats but I dont think there is. I am attaching the series synopsis. Looks like the batting part is ok (Average scores 300-400) but in bowling, the Invincibles cannot contain the Australian team.

Australia vs Invincibles - Series Summary
1st Test played at Brisbane.
Australia 1st Innings 637 all out
Gilchrist 175, Lee 105, Toshack 3-128, Johnston 3-143
Invincibles 1st Innings 209 all out
Bradman 58, Brown 46, Lee 4-53, McGrath 3-32
Invincibles 2nd Innings Following On 407 all out
Bradman 125, Tallon 76*, MacGill 6-98, Lee 2-76
Australia won by an Innings and 21 runs.

2nd Test played at Perth.
Invincibles 1st Innings 319 all out
Morris 88, Barnes 86, Gillespie 4-48, McGrath 3-46
Australia 1st Innings 603 for 8 dec.
Gilchrist 119, Martyn 116, Johnston 3-177, Lindwall 2-101
Invincibles 2nd Innings 307 all out
Morris 75, Barnes 75, Gillespie 3-62, McGrath 3-65
Australia 2nd Innings 24 for 0
Hayden 12*, Langer 10*
Australia won by 10 wkts.

3rd Test played at Adelaide.
Australia 1st Innings 849 all out
Ponting 271*, Waugh S.R. 160, Toshack 6-203, Lindwall 2-149
Invincibles 1st Innings 408 all out
Barnes 104, Bradman 75, McGrath 5-99, MacGill 2-96
Invincibles 2nd Innings Following On 242 all out
Morris 60, Hassett 34, McGrath 4-41, Lee 4-62
Australia won by an Innings and 199 runs.

4th Test played at Melbourne.
Australia 1st Innings 790 all out
Lee 196*, Martyn 153, Johnston 4-186, Toshack 3-162
Invincibles 1st Innings 481 all out
Bradman 109, Morris 88, Lee 4-79, Miller 3-65
Invincibles 2nd Innings Following On 469 all out
Barnes 131, Brown 88, MacGill 3-99, Miller 2-77
Australia 2nd Innings 164 for 2
Hayden 62, Slater 59, Miller 1-45, Lindwall 1-52
Australia won by 8 wkts.

5th Test played at Sydney.
Australia 1st Innings 697 all out
Ponting 197, Martyn 104, Johnson 4-96, Toshack 3-139
Invincibles 1st Innings 384 all out
Hassett 71, Johnston 67, Warne 3-81, MacGill 3-108
Invincibles 2nd Innings Following On 234 all out
Barnes 76, Bradman 61, Miller 4-49, Warne 2-20
Australia won by an Innings and 79 runs.

6th Test played at Hobart.
Australia 1st Innings 616 all out
Ponting 151, Langer 141, Johnson 4-81, Hassett 2-6
Invincibles 1st Innings 367 all out
Morris 96, Brown 56, MacGill 3-63, Miller 3-74
Invincibles 2nd Innings Following On 227 all out
Miller 64, Johnston 49, MacGill 4-60, Lee 3-66
Australia won by an Innings and 22 runs.

Interesting but I don't think Lee could have made 196, 105 etc against them (or any decent attack) :p btw you may want to start new thread for the sim matches.

Shailesh said:
Interesting but I don't think Lee could have made 196, 105 etc against them (or any decent attack) :p btw you may want to start new thread for the sim matches.
lol I didnt even see that.... but there was a problem which I did correct, but still the thing needs tweaking. The next series I played Australia beat the Invincibles 5-1 but the scores were a lot more believable. But I will start a new thread for that.

Users who are viewing this thread