Stuart Broad - is he worth his place in the Test XI?

You dropped your pipe and your whippet.

Our catching hasn't been great this series has it?

Am I the only one who lacks confidence in Strauss as a slipper? I know, he's caught loads, the flying fish, etc, but he just doesn't fill me with confidence like someone like Bell, has he ever dropped anything?

We've all played cricket and it's common knowledge that if you're captain, you get to field at slip haha

I think Strauss is a very good slipper, or perhaps was a very good slipper. Perhaps the extra distraction of captaincy takes away just enough of his concentration? Because I've always felt he's more likely to drop a dolly than anyone else in the cordon, yet going to his left or right he's generally pretty solid. Am I imagining things?

Bell's an excellent fielder as long as he's not too far behind square. I would have thought he'd be solid in the cordon, but I guess he brings good mobility closing off the single either side of the wicket. He's also a pretty fearless short-leg. Stays low for a long time and only shapes to protect himself (ruling out the catch) at the last moment.

I know many have been calling for Trott to go in the cordon. Bresnan was in it last match for a bit, wasn't he? Jimmy is often in there and is often first slip to Swann.

It's great that we're not carrying anyone in the field and that 2-3 of our bowlers have slipped or slip regularly. Tremlett has a safe pair of hands, don't remember Broad dropping any and is committed in the field.

I think the flexibility will make it so much easier when Strauss retires and is no longer in the slips. I'm fully expecting him to go after the Ashes double in 2013 as his last.

Interesting one about Trott. If people have called for it I can only assume he did a good job there at County level? Although he did bowl a bit domestically, so perhaps he didn't spend as long in there as someone like Strauss?

Yeah Bressers went in for a bit, and promptly dropped Mukund first ball to rule out the King Pair! Still, he more than made up for it :) The Tremulator can do what he wants, hands like buckets, arms like redwoods. Me and my recently departed housemate have developed a slight man-crush on him haha

Not a bad shout actually, 2013 would have seen Cook leading the Odi team for almost 2 years and probably be about the right time for him to take over the test side. Be nice if it followed a winning double and he passed it over as number 1 side in the world :)

Users who are viewing this thread