IPL Super-Sub

Do you think the Super-Sub rule is a good idea?

• Yes, 11 players and one Super-Sub (Gazza is a genius)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, 11 players and two+ Super-Subs

• No, I like it how it is.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I would prefer it with 11 players but more than four internationals.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I think it could work, but it needs to be trialed first (in a domestic or pre-season game)

• Total voters

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
John Buchanan, World Cup, Champions Trophy and Ashes winning former coach of Australia and current coach of the Kolkata Knight Riders recently called out to the IPL for the rules to be adjusted to allow more international players per playing XI. He received an almost instant denial from Lalit Modi, Chairman and Commissioner of the Indian Premier League, Modi saying that as the 'Indian' Premier League it was meant to unearth local talent.

An alternative to allow an extra overseas player but maintain the current 7 Indian players in a side is the Super-Sub, a rule trialled by the ICC a few years ago allowing teams to take 12 players into a match, eleven of whom bat and eleven who field. A similar strategy could be used in the IPL, with the following guidelines:

-Each team can enter a match with 12 (possibly more) players, 11 of whom can bat and 11 that can field/bowl
-There must be at least seven Indian players that do both
-Four International players can bat and four can bowl or be on the field at any time.

eg. Delhi Daredevils Line-up

Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
Tillakaratne Dilshan (int.)
AB Devilliers (int.)
Dinesh Kartik
Manoj Tiwary
Daniel Vettori (int.)
Amit Mishra
Ashish Nehra
Pradeep Sangwan
Dirk Nannes (int.)

Super-Sub-David Warner

When Delhi bat Dirk Nannes could be substituted with David Warner, so that Delhi would have four international batsman, and when they bowl Warner could be substituted with AB Devilliers so Delhi have four international bowling options. Devilliers can field (or possibly bowl) only if he replaces an international player eg Dilshan

Therefore the seven Indian players are maintained but an extra international player comes into the mix. I think this would definitely boost interest in the competition, and make it even more of a 'Premier' League.

Any suggestions or improvements to this idea? Please leave your comment and join this discussion.

Please rate my thread depending on how good you think the idea is. And don't forget to vote!

Last edited:

rockyrakster

Club Captain
Yes it is good idea gives flexiblity with intenational stars and competitions become more tricky nothing better I think two subs should be allowed

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Why don't we just take out the wickets and chuck four bases down. That sounds way to much like baseball, with all the chopping and changing. The ICC trailed this and it was a big failure.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Buchana is bull. This is IPL and its not our fault he chose utter crap foreigners.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
When the ICC trialled it it was not a failure, the idea worked but they felt it needed improving and more trialling.... It is used in World Cup, etc trial matches

This is a domestic Twenty20 competition, and if the lack of international players could soon mean that crowd interest will drop....

Gazza_11 added 7 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

Buchana is bull. This is IPL and its not our fault he chose utter crap foreigners.

Its the Indian PREMIER League remember, no one wants to watch some indian domestic cricketers playing on their own

wouldnt u like to see more inters in the punjab team eg. hopes, marsh, sanga, jayawardene, lee, abdulla, pomersbach, katich, bopara, jerome taylor and burt cockley

at best u could now have lee, marsh, sanga and taylor

naresh091

International Cricketer
Actually I liked the super-sub rule when it was in trial.
India used it quite constructively.Murali Kartik and Raina were the subs then.
It was quite interesting.I just want that rule to be back.
If they bring in this rule,it'll be okay for me even if they allow 5 foreign players.But Im damn sure they wont.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
I am ok with substitutes as long as the following rules are there :

1. The supersub can be named post the toss, ie, which means the XI also can be named post the toss. Otherwise the team winning the toss is at an advantage for using supersubs. This would enable the teams to strengthen their side according to the needs, for example once Royals know they are batting first, they can decide on a bowler to be the supersub, and add an additional batsman into their side. When it comes their turn to bowl, the supersub bowler can be brought in and the batsman asked to sit out.

2. Both substitution and substituted must belong to the same category. Ie, an Indian player can be substituted with Indian player. However foreign player can be substituted with either foreigner or Indian player.

Precambrian added 9 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

When the ICC trialled it it was not a failure, the idea worked but they felt it needed improving and more trialling.... It is used in World Cup, etc trial matches

This is a domestic Twenty20 competition, and if the lack of international players could soon mean that crowd interest will drop....

Gazza_11 added 7 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

Its the Indian PREMIER League remember, no one wants to watch some indian domestic cricketers playing on their own

wouldnt u like to see more inters in the punjab team eg. hopes, marsh, sanga, jayawardene, lee, abdulla, pomersbach, katich, bopara, jerome taylor and burt cockley

at best u could now have lee, marsh, sanga and taylor
4 International players are way enough to maintain crowd interest. Also extremely good Indian players like Yusuf Pathan, Naman Ojha, Rohit Sharma, RP, etc have very good value to the sides and brought in crowd interest as compared to foreign players. Yes, foreign players are nice to attract overseas audience. However 80-90% of target audience and revenue generators are Indians. So the theory that only International players can bring in audience is bull crap.

See how Raj Royals utilised the rules superbly. Instead of moaning over the 4 players a side, they didnt even buy in hot T20 Internationals, instead settling with Smith, Warne and Watson all of whom were not proven in the shortest format till IPL 2008. However, they also invested wisely in their Indian players, which led to a crop of good players like Pathan, Asnodkar, Ojha, Singh, Khan etc coming up the ranks.

Instead KKR and Buch got their strategy totally wrong. This was very evident when they went ego-bidding for Mashrafe Mortaza for 600k dollars, which would have fetched atleast 6 Indian players of equal or even better calibre. And worse, the guy is not even playing in the XI. Add to that silly "multiple captains" theory which muddled the pool further. Buch has had a full 2 seasons to work this franchise to a good team, and has gone only from bad to worse.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
I am ok with substitutes as long as the following rules are there :

1. The supersub can be named post the toss, ie, which means the XI also can be named post the toss. Otherwise the team winning the toss is at an advantage for using supersubs. This would enable the teams to strengthen their side according to the needs, for example once Royals know they are batting first, they can decide on a bowler to be the supersub, and add an additional batsman into their side. When it comes their turn to bowl, the supersub bowler can be brought in and the batsman asked to sit out.

2. Both substitution and substituted must belong to the same category. Ie, an Indian player can be substituted with Indian player. However foreign player can be substituted with either foreigner or Indian player.

Precambrian added 9 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

4 International players are way enough to maintain crowd interest. Also extremely good Indian players like Yusuf Pathan, Naman Ojha, Rohit Sharma, RP, etc have very good value to the sides and brought in crowd interest as compared to foreign players. Yes, foreign players are nice to attract overseas audience. However 80-90% of target audience and revenue generators are Indians. So the theory that only International players can bring in audience is bull crap.

See how Raj Royals utilised the rules superbly. Instead of moaning over the 4 players a side, they didnt even buy in hot T20 Internationals, instead settling with Smith, Warne and Watson all of whom were not proven in the shortest format till IPL 2008. However, they also invested wisely in their Indian players, which led to a crop of good players like Pathan, Asnodkar, Ojha, Singh, Khan etc coming up the ranks.

Instead KKR and Buch got their strategy totally wrong. This was very evident when they went ego-bidding for Mashrafe Mortaza for 600k dollars, which would have fetched atleast 6 Indian players of equal or even better calibre. And worse, the guy is not even playing in the XI. Add to that silly "multiple captains" theory which muddled the pool further. Buch has had a full 2 seasons to work this franchise to a good team, and has gone only from bad to worse.

1. the rules in my plan are like how u said

2. i didnt say only overseas players attrat crowd, but they will add to tv audiences, and help attract crowds overseas. plus, it makes it a better concert, and the indian players will benefit to from being around GLENN MCGRATH, etc

Users who are viewing this thread