Your Cricket Sweep shot: Your tips and advice

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I try to sweep the ball from good length or from a length between good length and full length but I get all the time (my off stump goes for a toss) playing that shot. There has not been a single occasion I've connected the shot perfectly which is a shame considering I'm one of the best batsman in our area. As a result, I've long given up playing that shot and all I do now for such deliveries is I flick or glance them on the legside but they are not that rewarding. That (sweep shot) is the only shot which in the cricket book and missing in my strokeplay. I'd would like to have some advice and tips on playing the shot.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, it sounds like you're trying to sweep balls from off stump. The most important thing I would say is get your body in line with the ball. Ideally you want to be playing the sweep shot (i.e. at point of impact) with your bat in front of your pad (i.e. in line with it) with your head in line with that, so you're forming one line with all three. That should mean that you hit it more often, rather than missing it.

AnasK

Club Captain
I have played reverse sweep many times. But, in my view sweeping is easy only easy when you are playing spin.

RPHKR

National Board President
Timing is really important for this shot. If you miss-timed it, you're out! Some shots will give you runs even if you miss-time.
It is dangerous and is effective against spin.
Watch the ball close.
Place the front leg in the line of the ball and your head over the front knee.(Footwork is important)
Better hit the ball downwards to avoid being caught.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am no coach, but I have had mixed success in playing the sweep, usually I prefer to get in line, cover the spin, big stride forward ( for LBW) . I more of paddle sweep as it is more effective on english tracks

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, it sounds like you're trying to sweep balls from off stump. The most important thing I would say is get your body in line with the ball.

Exactly and at times even from outside the off with a huge heave of the bat what I've understood as the reason behind not connecting the ball is because while I try to play the ball from outside off, my leg in the line of legstump and my head is somewhere around off and middle.

Ideally you want to be playing the sweep shot (i.e. at point of impact) with your bat in front of your pad (i.e. in line with it) with your head in line with that, so you're forming one line with all three. That should mean that you hit it more often, rather than missing it.

That sounds good and I'll try if and when I get a chance to play with cricket/synthetic ball. Now, can you tell what line and length is apt for playing the stroke?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Well, I'd say it depends on which shot you're looking to play, Slog-sweep or just the basic sweep shot. Basic sweep, I'd say you're looking more middle-leg stump in terms of line, but if you can get your body across to the off stump and play it well, then that will work. Length wise, I'd say that anything too full makes it harder to get good contact, whereas anything on the shorter side is going to be hard to keep down, due to the bounce of the ball. In short, try it out in the nets and see how you get on, but sort of middle of your pad height is probably ideal, but it depends on how well you play the shot, as a good player can pull it off from most lengths and lines, whereas a more limited one is going to struggle more.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I don't play the sweep shot much. I only play it when the ball is pitched between middle and leg stump and is coming from the hands off an off break bowler so that I can hit it with the spin.

I personally find it very risky to play the shot whenever the ball is pitched on the off stump. The chances of an LBW are too high in that case.

alexczarn

Club Captain
For some reason I find the reverse sweep a lot easier to play myself(I am a right hander btw)

I try and get outside the line and more kinda paddle it to fine leg

Users who are viewing this thread