Switching Graphics cards

Bibu07

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is this possible?

I had an Intel 82865G card and it worked well. A couple of days ago bought a new nVidia 6200 AGP DDR2 256MB Geforce(XFX) card. And am using it now. I have both the cards connected and also both the drivers installed. While nVidia stays the primary one.

The new one is way much better than that intel one. But some games(Sniper Elite) ran well in intel and crash out in nVidia. Now is there any way to switch the graphics card? (Without removing or uninstalling nvidia.) Or should I give up Sniper Elite if I wish to have nVidia?

In Display Properities Dialog box, under Settings, it show two monitors, numbered 1 and 2.
1=nVidia and 2=Intel.

If I select 2 and then click use primary, boom my screen blacks out, as if another monitor is working, with a lot of random(fluke) key presses I got nvidia primary again. But can we use the intel in the monitor 1. Or can I change the slot to which Monitor is connected to make it look like its secondary and thence use intel card?

Iam pretty much confused, so are you I guess.

If you want to use either of them, You'll have to plug in the monitor to that card.
There might be a necessity to enter BIOS, and select which card to initiate display from.

1. I didn't actually buy it. I got it from cousin, in a trade of a DVD. That intel was real shiz. Nothing was nice. I am gonna have to buy a new PC. But till that I need to enjoy my holidays, so got it from him and am using it. (Esp. for Fifa09).

2. Yeah you nailed it. Its onboard chipset. Dunno with what in mind I claimed it a card. Anyway it has its own slot for the monitor cable.

@Abhas: Thanks mate, understood the first half. i.e. to change the cable from the nvidia slot to the previous one. But by doing that the monitor does not turn on at all.:noway(only CPU runs) Might be that BIOS thing for this? If so do you mean the BIOS from the setup menu? What do I have to change and will messing with those settings blow the PC?

So I lose all other games and then play only Sniper ELite. Then who needs Sniper Elite? Iam going to stick to Fifa09 then. Thanks for reply.

Are you sure we need to take out the graphics card?
In the BIOS, there's a setting which allows us to select which display card to boot from (AGP/PCI/Onboard etc..)
If you have plugged in your monitor with the Nvdia card, select PCI, If you're connecting to the onboard, select the onboard ( I'm not sure if its called onboard, might vary with different BIOSes)

After you restart your computer, it should work normally with the card you've selected.

Kshitiz is the man with the graphics card knowledge though, so I believe he must be right here :)

In CMOS or BIOS somewhere, I saw initail display or something like that, it had options, AGP or Onboard(VGA) So this is what your are saying about? So all I have to do it connect the cable and change this or change this and connect the cable?

Yeah tried it installed this "182.08_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe" the latest for my card I suppose. And yeah my first try was to run with 3DA. But no luck. The fonts are messed in that game. I mean like rainbow, each letter is in different colour, but they are supposed to be in white.

Abhas:

Went to "Integrated Chipset Features" -> "Initiate Display from" -> "Onboard AGP."
Changed the cables and yes it did work. Now, the problem is that Sniper Elite shows up the same thing like with nVidia. Thanks anyway.

So GFX is not the problem:confused: What else is the problem? I did not change anything other than GFX and RAM.

Bibu07 added 1 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Another guy in another forum asked me to do something with a tool called 3dmark 2000 or something like that. What is that? Do you guys know about it? Will it help?

Dunno, I remember some old games like NFS II SE which would refuse to work in 2Gigs RAM but would work in 1 Gig, but I think Sniper Elite is from 2005 so this shouldn't be the problem.

Maybe you're having some driver conflicts. Try reinstalling the drivers?

Ok then what should I try reinstalling drivers for? Graphics Card? If so should I reinstall the one in the disc or the one I downloaded??

The ones you downloaded should be the latest, so those yeah. :) Also, if you're on XP, try and get SP2 or SP3 installer.

After uninstalling drivers, reupdate with SP2 or SP3, and then reinstall the new drivers.

I've got SP2. Ok then I'll try reinstalling all those over again.

Bibu07 added 43 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Can anybody let me know what is Riva Tuner? Usig it will burn my card??:eek:

Riva Tuner is a GPU tuning / info application. Using it wouldn't burn your card, using it blindly might do that. I'm talking about OC settings / fan speeds here. GPU's don't generally have a thermal throtlling feature like CPU's, so they are prone to damage on high temps.

Users who are viewing this thread