Test Cricket not in it's healthiest state: Ponting

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ponting concerned over Test Future
Ricky Ponting, the Australian captain, believes that Test cricket isn't in a healthy state and that international players have a duty to provide entertaining matches to ensure its future in the wake of Twenty20's popularity.

Speaking to Cricinfo SportsCenter after returning home from Australia's undefeated tour of the West Indies, Ponting added that he'd be open to the proposed tournament-style Test world championship, but would reserve judgment until he'd seen its format.

I'm guessing if there is a test championship, then we'd have to scrap all other test series. How many tests would you need to play against other countries?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Test Championship is impossible. These games so much time. We had Asian Test championship and that was superflop.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I think this is complete rubbish to be honest, People are worried because fans come in and say they love twenty20. T20 wont get anywhere near test cricket, In England test matches are constantly sold out, I try and get tickets the whole time but its near impossible as they sell out so quickly, Test matches are the best bit for cricket. The ODI's dont sell out as the middle overs become quite boring, and we're not always sure we will se big scores, Where as in T20 you are always going to get runs and enterainment, Its brilliant for the youngsters but you still see them at Tests dont you?

lancashire666

International Coach
Test Championship is impossible. These games so much time. We had Asian Test championship and that was superflop.

yeah but it also doesnt help that in that part of the world one day cricket is far more popular than test match cricket

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
and my point has just been proved, The T20 QUARTER FINAL is not even half ful at The Oval with 10 minutes until play is set to begin!

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
yeah but it also doesnt help that in that part of the world one day cricket is far more popular than test match cricket

Well crowds were there but matches were. :rolleyes:

Also Kolkatta crowd makes things intresting for themselves. :p

TC Ink

Club Cricketer
Surely wouldn't work,think of the time that it would take up. If promoted correctly and held in the right places I doubt crowds would be a problem.

I don't know how Ponting can say tests aren't healthy, they seem alrite to me :D Spose he is just scared of Twenty20 taking over. He should relax.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I've always believed that the true strengths and weaknesses of a team can only be seen in test match cricket. I believe it is the ultimate test, and you cant prove anything as a player or as a team unless you've done well in test cricket.

For this I feel that for the real fans and the players test cricket will always remain the real deal.

In a tour, the test series is usually seen as the main event while the ODIs and Twenty20 games are just complimentary matches. I know the shorter forms of the game will draw more crowds but how many of them have actually come to watch the cricket?

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know how Ponting can say tests aren't healthy, they seem alrite to me :D Spose he is just scared of Twenty20 taking over. He should relax.

In a tour, the test series is usually seen as the main event while the ODIs and Twenty20 games are just complimentary matches. I know the shorter forms of the game will draw more crowds but how many of them have actually come to watch the cricket?

As I've said a few times before I don't see any problem with crowds at the moment? Test matches in Englands especially they are always a sell out. ODI's and T20 are also mainly full but shouldn't he be saying this if tests werent selling out? Its nearly impossible to get hold tickets for a test match where as there are still tickets being advertised for ODI's against South Africa in a few weeks, I'm sure this always thecase in other countries Like Australia who's fan always turn up, The West Indians who always sing and the carribean atmosphere there, The Indians who whatever the weather wil always be going mad in the stands, The reason you have tournametns such as the IPL are becuase T20 takes up such a short amount of time and isn't nearly as tiring as a Test match, It's why you can't have a Test world cup it would take nearly a half a year but just because there isn't one doesnt mean its failing. Also noticed howT20 has to have millions of dollars put into it? Test matches hasn't needed that yet it's still bigger!!

KBC

Panel of Selectors
It's not that the test cricket is in it's healthiest state, there are a lot of diverted minds as you know..

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
hmmm.. meh i just want them to keep test cricket. I love the days when its a scorching hot day. Your sitting on the couch infront of the telly watching the cricket with a can of soft drink(and or beer if your 18:p) sipping away. Than when its lunch and tea going out the back for a game of B.Y.C!!:D

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
and my point has just been proved, The T20 QUARTER FINAL is not even half ful at The Oval with 10 minutes until play is set to begin!
No, your point isn't proved at all, you're talking about one country only, and you're talking about a county game. In the subcontinent, where all the money is, Twenty20 is rampantly popular.

I wouldn't mind hearing what this format for the test championship is. If it was every 4 years, we could take some time out of the regular season and it may just work?

khalek

Panel of Selectors
guys dont kill me after reading this post....

ODIs and T20s rule... countries should stop playing tests and boring the audience

:p:p

Users who are viewing this thread