test play

kenpat

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sonic, I'll address this to you but would welcome input from all, how does Cricket 2002 play tests. I used to find BLC not really suited for the 5 day game. Have they improved the AI so the computer plays differently in a test match. I've not had the time to find this out yet. I do like the thought of being able (hah) to craft an innings over several days.

sachida

Club Cricketer
I find it OK. Playing australia is more fun but they put on unrealistic high scores if you opt for autoplay. I find it boring to bowl so use it often.
Stroke play is fun. Especially straight drives. You cant hit out as you can do in one dayers so playing on ground is necessary.
the most boring part is once you get hundred first delivery you face to any bowler at any time will be yorker. So it kills the fun. :o
AI is not that greatly improved for test matches.
So I will give 6/10 for them.

S

sonic

To be fair, it does get tedious after a while, the Ai is very slapstick even at the best of times. Bowling is easy as all you need to do is dolly up a few yorkers, as for batting, well, if you can play a few shots then scoring 500 is fairly simple and the computer will struggle to catch that, in most cases you will win by an innings. The autoplay feature is good if you want the oppostion to score over 100 (they rarely do if you are bowling yourself), but kills the fun, and point, of playing the game.

The computer is very slow in changing its strategies aswell. i tested a few weeks ago in fact...i simply played ALL my shots to third man and backward square...it was the 50th over by the time the computer decided to stick two men either side behind the wicket, by which time I had 550 runs on the board. Also the computer will not normally put men on the boundary until at least 15 overs and also the first 30 runs of any batsman's innings as they will attempt to "attack"..so you simply hit everything over top, aka "easy pickings for the batsman really". Bowling wise is even easier, just lob yorker after yorker and you will bowl them out..not my idea of fun really, but there is a patch by Zim which sorts that problem out.

The AI was the biggest downfall of cricket 2002...some say the bugs - but they are merely annoying factors..the poor AI ruins the enjoyment of the game. I'm not saying I find playing it a chore, its just that more work really should have gone into it, at times it all looks like the game was made in two weeks flat, which could be true...Lara is still the king of cricket games.

Thanks and regards
sonic

kenpat

Club Cricketer
Yeah, I had a horrible feeling that was going to be the reply. However I can tell you have never seen my bowling.(I REALLY have to practice).

S

sonic

aim for the stumps, right up close as far as the cursor will go (sometimes it has a mind of its own), york the ball right on the middle stump. Success rate = about 1 in 30 balls will hit the stump. make sure you have a close-ish field - i always have a ring, with hardly any gaps in the field with only one slip normally

thanks
sonic

S

sonic

you will get bored very quickly, and will see why loads of people use autoplay when bowling... :down:

kenpat

Club Cricketer
I think once I'm a bit better I may try my hand at online, after all the worst I can face is utter humiliation at the hands of some youngster. It may be the only way to get a really good game.

Lou Vincent

School Cricketer
Sonic,

I find the computer doesn't really have strategies - it just retreats its field from attacking to defensive as the batter keeps scoring runs like BLC/SWC. If one player is on 200 runs and the other is on 0 then it will be very attacking for the guy on 0 and very defensive for the guy on 200.

I'm playing my first full test (& series) NZ v Sri Lanka in SL on dusty pitch. I play on Normal - on hard I struggle to get 200 runs and still win in about 2 days - once my first p'ship is broken it all falls apart. I don't bowl yorkers all the time which is extremely boring - I vary it and it plays well. I try to play at an almost realistic run rate for more realism - 4-5 RPO. I found in BLC you could score 15 an over too easily. I was aiming for 1000 runs but once my p'ship of 383 ended it collapsed- so p'ships are important. I wish there was a level in between Normal and hard.

I'm attempting to attach a picture of my scorecard so far. Sri Lanka had to follow on of course and are 114/2 on day 4. I'm still waiting to see the rough patches that are supposed to turn up on the pitch - they're very faint if they're there (I do have the patch installed.

S

sonic

Lou, keep your ear to the ground because sam2002 has a tool on the way which allows us to change the difficulty mid-game...so if you are caning the opposition on normal mode while bowling then you can crank it up for a greater challenge...and vice versa for the batting.

I know what you mean, there is a gulf between normal and hard, its just a case of getting used to the higher level. What I did was work my way up gradually, my very first "hard" series was against Zimbabwe and i won 3-0, and then worked my way to playing harder teams, until i reached the top of the ladder, against the plucky Australians, and thrashed them 5-0 (hardly realistic, but hey) - so its a question of progression, there's really no point going straight into hard mode playing australia, as it can be quite demoralising if you have'nt played at that level before

thanks
sonic

S

sonic

Originally posted by kenpat@May 1 2003, 09:55 PM
the worst I can face is utter humiliation at the hands of some youngster.
kenpat, there's no shame in losing to anyone on here, there' some good players here of course but no one is really up themselves thinknig they are invincible, everyone respects each others ability, im sure you would manage fine, and besides, its just a game really!

thanks and regards
sonic

kenpat

Club Cricketer
Sonic, the quote was tongue in cheek I assure you, my children and grandchildren regularly whip me at tennis,football and most other games on pc or console. I take heart that they've never beat me at a quiz or Trivial Pursuit.
Lou I played tests in BLC the same way, trying to play cricket not a computer game, I found that for quite long periods you could become immersed(I think thats a buzz word just now) in the experience. How often as you say there was a collapse, very realistic.
regards

J

jonah

I haven't played a Test in c2k2 for quite a while ( too much ODI what with the WC and all), and it's true what you say sonic, you can get wickets by bowling continuous yorkers, but where's the fun in that? I like to try to keep my bowling as realistic as possible (line and length, the odd short one or yorker), to try and take genuine wickets. The cpu does, on occasion, get an edge or get bowled 'through the gate', and it's more rewarding to take wickets that way.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong in bowling yorker after yorker, believe me I've resorted to it if I can't get a batsman out and he's on over 100 ;) , but it's not the way I like to play.

R

Rangeela

the best way to get batsman out when playing test is bowl a good length ball on legside ( where you would usually get wide call if ur playing an ODI)..the batsman will moved back and will edge it to the man at silly point..... trust me it works and you can get all out under 50 runs..... :D

as far as the batting goes in test matches for me I score tons of runs in just a single day that if opponent begs for an extra inning lol lol :P

sachida

Club Cricketer
Lou I had that trouble of shifting gears. In paradox to sonic I started on hard level with Australia. I wanted to know how hard it can get. I hate bowling for endless hours as I atmost can play game for an hour a day with ton of labwork. So I use autoplay and guess what at hard level Australia made around 500 runs on the last day. I lost all three games. But then by the end of last test or six innings I learned so many things that I easily whitewashed Carabiens, England and Pakistan at thier homes.
I agree with your partnership observation. But I guess that is pretty realistic. I also observed that if you are playing over two hours you have a batsman with around 100 on board you ought to get carried away and hit bret lees slow ball in air to mid on. So I tend to take break at that point and can successfully survive for longer time again.
In fact, I was able to put up partnership of 122 between nehra and harbhajan for the last wicket against windies.
Now I will try to bear ausies again lets see.
Anybody interested in playing a series of five games on hard level without any patches? I am interested in playing by email.

Users who are viewing this thread