Test World Championship/Test World Cup solution

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Just saw on cricinfo that hopes of a Test World championship or Test World Cup are fading (it is the same thing, just different terminology). This is due to worries over where it would fit into the FTP and tv revenue.

I've thought about this before, and my idea for a Test world cup is pretty simple, and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

2 groups of 5 teams (I would include Zimbabwe as the 10th team, but Kenya would do), with teams seeded by their test rankings so that groups are of roughly equal standard.

Each team plays the other teams in their group once, meaning each team plays 4 matches in the group stage, which also means that each team can play 2 matches at home, and 2 away.

How Points are awarded for wins, draws, etc is debatable, but I would can the bonus points idea, and probably just go with points for a draw, points for a win, and points for a first innings lead, maybe 4 for a draw, an extra 4 for a first innings lead, and 12 or 16 for a win (12 without first innings lead, 16 with first innings lead, because it stops teams conspiring to make sure they each get maximum possible points out of a match in the event both teams need a certain number to qualify for the semi finals).

Top 2 teams in each group to go through to semi final stage, where winner of each semi final is decided by First Innings Lead if no positive result is possible (this stops teams who finished higher on the table just preparing a flat pitch and playing for a draw).

Final to be decided by First Innings Lead if no positive result is possible, for the same reason as the semi finals, otherwise we will end up with a shared trophy a 3rd of the time, or the team who did better in the group stages will just prepare a flat pitch and bat for a draw.

I know the First Innings Lead idea is not perfect, but it is the only way I can think that will work, and it may lead to a situation where there is actually drama in a drawn match where both teams total 600+ (for example...team B passes team A's first innings total of 700 with 9 wickets down).

With 4 matches in each group, and a team playing a maximum of 6 matches if they reach the final this tournament could be slotted into the FTP somewhere, and I'm sure the tv ratings for tests would be better if there was actually something to play for other than a 5-0 whitewash.

It could be played over a 2 year period if people are worried about trying to fit it into the FTP, 4 to 6 matches is not too hard to fit in somewhere in a 2 yr period, but one year would be better otherwise fans would lose focus. Maybe assign one year out of every 4 for this tournament, so the FTP can continue on as normal.

I wouldn't bother with neutral venues (apart from for the Pakistan team, sadly), as no one is going to turn out to see India play Sri Lanka in a high scoring draw at the Adelaide oval, and not many home fans would watch it on tv. Playing home games ensures bigger crowds, and higher tv ratings from home fans, which is what the administrators want.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I can't imagine England playing a probable 4 Tests over a two year period. We play 7 Tests a summer now and it won't change as a lot of money is made from them.

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think we should let tests as they are. As you see, a Pakistan-India test series or the Ashes- they still fetch a stadium full of crowd. We can make Tests interesting without touching the main game or the way it is played- like, by offering two samosas and three cups of Coca cola free to anyone who would visit the stadium when a test match is on..:p

Mr.Cricket

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
ICC should leave test cricket alone. I dont care what they do to One Day cricket or 'hit and giggle' T20 but please , please , please leave test cricket alone. Test cricket survived 130+ years without any gimmicks like this. Call me 'old school' but I like test cricket just the way it is and I dont want to see ICC turn test cricket in to something different just because they want to earn few extra bucks.

If ICC want to improve test cricket they should
1) Get best teams playing against each other
2) Prepare sporting pitches with something in it for bowlers

BTW ' slowcoach' , I am not having a go at you or your proposal. But I just dont like this whole test championship idea .

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Must admit I prefer a nice meaty 5 test Ashes series to the sort of cheesy tournament I proposed, but that is how I think a Test World Cup/Championship should be run if they ever decide to.

But really, there is not much point, Test cricket is much better savoured over a series of matches, like a slow cooked roast, we can save the microwaved cheese on toast one off matches for the limited overs tournaments.

Users who are viewing this thread