Story The 1992 World Cup

Flapjack

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
With thanks to blockerdave for his excellent squads and kits, I’ve decided to replay the 1992 world cup as England, to see if they can go one better than their real life counterparts and lift the trophy in Melbourne.

Unlike the real thing where England opened their campaign against India at the WACA, England’s first game in my playthrough was against the little-fancied Zimbabwe side. Whereas in 1992 the game was played on a tiny ground in Albury (The Lavington Sports Complex), my game took place at a packed SCG.

The team remains as it was in 1992, so:

Gooch
Botham
Lamb
Smith
Hick
Fairbrother
Stewart
DeFreitas
Illingworth
Small
Tufnell

As in ‘92 , England won the toss and inserted their opponents. The first wicket fell at 58 when Andy Flower (29 from 30) smashed Tufnell’s first delivery to Ian Botham at silly mid off. Wayne James was joined by Andy Pycroft and they took the score comfortably past 100, aided by an alarming number of wides delivered by England’s pace trio of Botham, DeFreitas and Small.

After James fell for a run a ball 44, Andy Pycroft took charge. He milked the spinners Illingworth and Tufnell and took advantage of anything legside as he made a brilliant 102 (107). He eventually departed having smashed a wide one from a tiring defreitas down Lamb’s throat at point.

A brilliant cameo from Ali Shah (43 from 26) and 17 from 14 balls from Eddo 'chicken farmer from Harare' Brandes, pushed Zimbabwe’s score passed the magic 300, eventually finishing at 318/9.

4d43eb952e.jpg

Will England come to rue their 19 extras? Including a whopping 16 wides – England’s reply and full scorecards will follow...

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Weren't Derek Pringle and Chris Lewis in the starting XI?

Flapjack

Club Captain
Weren't Derek Pringle and Chris Lewis in the starting XI?

Not in that game, no. Rewatched my 'englands heroes' vhs to refresh my memory! I'm not sure that was even televised as it's just Angus loughran narrating over steadicam footage from the stands!

UPDATE: good start by botham (36*) and gooch (18*) after 7 overs

Flapjack

Club Captain
Well that was a disaster. Proceeded along to 96 for 2, Ian botham had just edged behind for 63 (45) when my son asked for help with something. I thought I'd paused it but apparently not. When I returned 20 minutes we were 96 all out!

I think we'll call this a washout

ben1983

School Cricketer
Which game was it where tuffers kept missing the run out and Gooch apparently called him a silly c**t

P

PVFCashley

Well that was a disaster. Proceeded along to 96 for 2, Ian botham had just edged behind for 63 (45) when my son asked for help with something. I thought I'd paused it but apparently not. When I returned 20 minutes we were 96 all out!

I think we'll call this a washout

8 wickets for no runs in 20 minutes, sounds just like england in india :thumbs

Flapjack

Club Captain
After their shock defeat to Zimbabwe, England were looking to bounce back with a win over co-hosts New Zealand in their second pool game. Keeping to the same lineup as in 1992, England were:

Stewart
Botham
Hick
Lamb
Smith
Lewis
Reeve
DeFreitas
Illingworth
Small

Definitely a batsman light for this game, Gooch will b e watching the game from his porcelain throne with rolls of Andrex by his side. He will be rueing that dodgy seafood special the night before the game at a salubrious Wellington nightspot.

Toss was won by NZ, who inserted England. Stewart and Botham began confidently, Botham in particular taking a liking to the short boundaries of Wellington Park. He raced to 22 from 17 balls before he smashed a long hop from Danny Morrison to point. Graeme Hick arrived with a point to prove at first drop, and he looked in sublime form, taking a liking to the legside offerings of Gavin Larsen before, he reverted to type, mistiming a soft pull one short of a 50. Then a double wicket maiden from Willie Watson removing both Lamb and SMith for ducks reduced England to 125-4 in the 18th over. Stewart knuckled down and eventually fell for 73, but the innings lost all momentum and some tight bowling, in particular a miserly spell from Chris Harris, limited England to 218 all out.

a06a7d9baa.jpg

a0716cd505.jpg

Rohit Basu

Banned
With thanks to blockerdave for his excellent squads and kits, I’ve decided to replay the 1992 world cup as England, to see if they can go one better than their real life counterparts and lift the trophy in Melbourne.

Unlike the real thing where England opened their campaign against India at the WACA, England’s first game in my playthrough was against the little-fancied Zimbabwe side. Whereas in 1992 the game was played on a tiny ground in Albury (The Lavington Sports Complex), my game took place at a packed SCG.

The team remains as it was in 1992, so:

Gooch
Botham
Lamb
Smith
Hick
Fairbrother
Stewart
DeFreitas
Illingworth
Small
Tufnell

As in ‘92 , England won the toss and inserted their opponents. The first wicket fell at 58 when Andy Flower (29 from 30) smashed Tufnell’s first delivery to Ian Botham at silly mid off. Wayne James was joined by Andy Pycroft and they took the score comfortably past 100, aided by an alarming number of wides delivered by England’s pace trio of Botham, DeFreitas and Small.

After James fell for a run a ball 44, Andy Pycroft took charge. He milked the spinners Illingworth and Tufnell and took advantage of anything legside as he made a brilliant 102 (107). He eventually departed having smashed a wide one from a tiring defreitas down Lamb’s throat at point.

A brilliant cameo from Ali Shah (43 from 26) and 17 from 14 balls from Eddo 'chicken farmer from Harare' Brandes, pushed Zimbabwe’s score passed the magic 300, eventually finishing at 318/9.

4d43eb952e.jpg

Will England come to rue their 19 extras? Including a whopping 16 wides – England’s reply and full scorecards will follow...
Username to download the 1992 squad

Flapjack

Club Captain
Quick update from wellington park where NZ have been reduced to 66 for 6 in the 18th over thanks to some poor shots from their top order and great fielding from Robin Smith.

c533906bfb.jpg

c54454670f.jpg

Botham has three wickets , Chris Lewis two, and dermot reeve one

Phil defreitas did bag himself a wicket with this Jaffa

Last edited:

Flapjack

Club Captain
Well it shouldn't have been that difficult. England won their first match of the tournament and are up and running in the World Cup, thwarting a plucky fight back by New Zealand.

From 120-8 the tail wagged and New Zealand contrived to finish five runs short. Danny Morrison batted like bradman!

e0cfc20c34.jpg

e0dba261eb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread