The PlanetCricket View: The Adelaide Oval: Progression or a sad loss of beauty?

Article by baggy_blogger -

Venues that have hosted Australian Cricket have undergone many changes in a relatively short space of time. These changes have been done so with the intention of progression; a necessity to modernise the facilities and conveniently hold greater capacities. One ground in particular has seen its fair share of change in its time, but the recent facelift is one that has taken away many of its unique identities and may strip away its title from being a picturesque cricket ground to just another characterless sports stadium in Australia.

Is the redevelopment of the Adelaide Oval a vital step towards necessary progression, or a commercial drive that has resulted in a sad loss of the grounds natural beauty and appeal as a traditional looking cricket ground with serious economic consequences?

I took my first footstep on the dark green grass of the Adelaide Oval?s hill in March this year during a Sheffield Shield game between South Australia and Western Australia. It was a great moment and one I will remember forever, having waited 19 years to get to the ground. My introduction to cricket was the 1992 World Cup played in Australia. As a result the grounds throughout the country hold a special place in my memory, the scene where I fell in love with the game. The Adelaide Oval was always one of the venues I had a soft spot for.

Having grown up watching cricket at Newland?s Cricket Ground in Cape Town, South Africa, one can surely understand my connection to traditional, scenic cricket grounds around the globe. This results in a feeling that some grounds should be kept in a condition owing to the strong characteristics they give off. The Adelaide Oval is one ground that?s slightly numbing to see undergo a serious revamp, which will see a vast number of notable beauties become a thing of the past.

Renowned sports writer, Gideon Haigh, recently spoke at the Adelaide Writer?s Weekly and made mention that he feels the Adelaide Oval will lose its charm. Simply put by Haigh, in what I detect to be an almost defeatist tone, ?it?s going to be a football ground?. Haigh tapped into a good point that one may in time feel (when watching cricket at the Adelaide Oval) as if they are simply at any ground around the world. You will likely lose that feel you are in Adelaide; you are at the Adelaide Oval.

The Adelaide Oval stood out amongst the other places where cricket is played in Australia. The Bellerive Oval ? or Blundstone Arena ? still has some charm but the Adelaide Oval definitely had a special style to it, a unique style one would have to look very hard at now so see. Regrettably, I will never experience what many fortunate viewers were able to soak up.

Different views towards to current construction areas.
Photos taken by Ian Reid (Baggy Green Blog)

As my sense of euphoria subsided during my first day at the Adelaide Oval, I quietly watched the South-East stands undergo development. I slowly understood the reasons behind the development with an aerial view image of the original ground open on my mobile phone. The 2015 Cricket World Cup is being co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand. Adelaide needed to boost the stadium?s capacity to meet potential demand for this event and both AFL teams; The Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide, who will find a dual home in the city.

With an estimated increase to a 53,000 capacity stadium, will it be sustainable in the long run? There is already talk of budget issues, that projected revenue and attendance numbers will not be met, and negative outcries over the visioned new look have been a big topic for debate amongst local Adelaideans. I?d imagine a fair deal of frustration as well amongst the tax payers who don?t have sport top of their agenda ? the State Government invested $450 AU million dollars into the project.

Good sport teams with strong performances have leverage to build big fan bases and attract supporters to the home grounds. However, AFL has been hit by drug scandals, Australian Cricket is in a dark period of rejuvenation, and the South Australian Redbacks continue to remain merely steady in their relevant State formats. The Big Bash has helped build the team profile somewhat. These teams have a role to play to ensure demand is built so the stadiums estimated supply can be met. Better performances are bound to help capacity demands.

The supporters and SACA members whose views I?ve heard or come across in the media seem to have acknowledged the need for progression, but there was a strong distaste for the need to give the ground such a bland, homogenous look. This reflects Gideon Haigh?s outlook. The new ground will lack character and if it weren?t for the saving of the historic scoreboard, The Northern Mound and the Morton bay Fig Trees, it would be a disaster for the passionate Adelaide Oval Cricket spectators. These landmarks are protected under the Heritage act, which ensures some preservation of history and tradition.

Read the rest of this article here.

This article is from The Baggy Green Blog!
Thanks for reading this article written by Ian.

TWITTER
@BaggyGreenBlog
@Ianbaggygreen
@SylvesterAu
@Dan_Stapo

More...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'll sadly never get to see it like it once was when I eventually make the trip to the ground. Likewise the SCG.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Definitely a shame to see it destroyed especially for AFL, when they've already got their own grounds.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
What happens to the AAMI stadium? I know it's not as convenient but what are they planning on using it for?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Loss of beauty for sure. Wasn't too happy when i saw it this season when S Africa played there.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
As long as the pitch plays alright, I don't really care! If it was my homeground, and I went there a lot - yeah I'd probably be annoyed. But as a TV viewer only, it's the pitch that's the most important part. So the drop in pitches better play well.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
What happens to the AAMI stadium? I know it's not as convenient but what are they planning on using it for?

Reserve grade I guess. They will still be playing games there this year I think. 2014 onwards will be played at Adelaide Oval.

It's great for AFL, and good for Cricket Australia, because they can pack more people into the ground for the Ashes. Not as good for cricket fans. Will be sad to see the old atmosphere disappear; one of the few grounds that still had a hill. Thankfully we still have Bellerive Oval. :)

Users who are viewing this thread