Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will p said:
The Fact is no Aussie or Englishmen will ever back down to an argument here or anywhere to do with the Ashes lol.
Not quite. I think all but the most short-sighted English cricket fan would accept that Australia probably will win the Ashes again. However, only the most short-sighted Aussie cricket fan would say that this isn't England's best chance in a long time.

andrew_nixon said:
Not quite. I think all but the most short-sighted English cricket fan would accept that Australia probably will win the Ashes again. However, only the most short-sighted Aussie cricket fan would say that this isn't England's best chance in a long time.

Quite right Andrew.

MacGill ain't that good but if you get Warne and MacGill bowling at England at the same time, it's definitely going to be 5-0 to Australia. Otherwise, it may be 3-0 or 4-0 because you can never trust that English weather. ;)

Shailesh said:
He has the stats but I personally feel he is a bit overrated.

I second Shailesh on this count. Macgill certainly has gotten wickets against England, but he doesn't really seem to be a damaging bowler under all sorts of conditions.

Ronny Kingsley said:
Also after warney,Murali and Kumble he is the best spinner from the 80's.

Abdul Qadir anyone ? Hell, i'd say that saqlain mustaq at his peak was a better bowler than mcgill, as he had spin,flight and variety. Too bad that he is a shadow of his former self now.

I wonder why Australia never bring MacGill to the India tours... or did they play him in India's tour to Australia... I do not seem to remember him for some very odd reason.

sohummisra said:
I wonder why Australia never bring MacGill to the India tours... or did they play him in India's tour to Australia... I do not seem to remember him for some very odd reason.

Who got The beating when Australia toured India?Wasnt it Shane warne then why bringing macgil?

fardin said:
Who got The beating when Australia toured India?Wasnt it Shane warne then why bringing macgil?

because the ashes series is a long one. whenever any team tours another country they are going to take 2 spinners. and there is no way they would take hauritz. had mcgill had the same opportunities as warne in any other team he would have been one of the best around.

as to the beating in india. australia only went in with 1 spinner in all but the last test. just because they chose to use only 1 spinner in most of the india games doesnt mean you dont take australias 2nd best spinner, and one of the best spinners in the world (mcgill) along to the toughest series so far.

If they have the two best spinners in the country, why would you take another spinner instead of that second best spinner? MacGill is good but he is not that good. But against England, who have problems playing spin, MacGill will be very effective. That's why they should definitely go in with both. The reason that they do not go in with two spinners in India, regardless of MacGill's talent, is because he would be smashed all over the park. And that means he isn't that good.

sohummisra said:
If they have the two best spinners in the country, why would you take another spinner instead of that second best spinner? MacGill is good but he is not that good. But against England, who have problems playing spin, MacGill will be very effective. That's why they should definitely go in with both. The reason that they do not go in with two spinners in India, regardless of MacGill's talent, is because he would be smashed all over the park. And that means he isn't that good.

i cant for the life of me work out why they didnt take mcgill to india. he would have proved a much better choice on that 4th test wicket than hauritz. they even took chad white over. but without a doubt mcgill is 2nd to warne as the best bowler in australia. you have to take your 2 best away on tour with you. mcgill may have struggled against india because he is a much more attacking leggy, like the young warne was. which means that he can go for alot of runs but generally takes a couple more wickets. but warne is just a class above

Isn't it Cameron White? And Warne has hardly been successful against India. It was only on this tour that he picked up his first 5-for against India. So I doubt MacGill could just arrive and cause problems for the Indians. When he played against India in Australia he didn't make too much of an effect. And how about McGrath and Gillespie? You rate McGill higher than them?

When he said best bowler, I think he was referring to the best spin bowler. I'm not sure about the chad white though, maybe he's using chad instead of saying crap?

sohummisra said:
Isn't it Cameron White? And Warne has hardly been successful against India. It was only on this tour that he picked up his first 5-for against India. So I doubt MacGill could just arrive and cause problems for the Indians. When he played against India in Australia he didn't make too much of an effect. And how about McGrath and Gillespie? You rate McGill higher than them?

yeh sorry sohummisra it is cameron white. i dont know where i got chad from. mental blank on my behalf. and yeh im only talking about spinners. i thought that was what the topic had moved to.

i didnt say that mcgill would just arrive and cause problems for india. however the way that he bowls, hes very attacking, and he is leaps and bounds beyond haurtiz or white at the moment. he would have proved more of a handfull on that wicket. i think hed probably be the biggest turner of the ball (not the best, just the biggest) in the elite group of spinners in the world at the moment

squiz said:
When he said best bowler, I think he was referring to the best spin bowler. I'm not sure about the chad white though, maybe he's using chad instead of saying crap?

nah not crap. just drew a blank squiz haha. i personally think white will be good once he develops a bit. he will probably be the replacement to hogg in the ODI team anyway

Well forget India. I am sure spinners will cause major problems for England. I've said this over and again, but after McGrath, Gillespie and Kaspa soften up the top order, Warney and MacGill should be able to clean up the tail. That's if they play 5 bowlers, which is unlikely. :)

sohummisra said:
Well forget India. I am sure spinners will cause major problems for England. I've said this over and again, but after McGrath, Gillespie and Kaspa soften up the top order, Warney and MacGill should be able to clean up the tail. That's if they play 5 bowlers, which is unlikely. :)

I hope you are proved wrong with this statement! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread