The Broadband thread

Gurjot95

National Board President
Decided to create this thread because today when I was searching, I got these two news. BSNL are now also doing the same which Airtel did.

Techtree.com India > News > Consumer Electronics > Airtel Intros 50Mbps Broadband in India
BSNL's Unlimited Downloads @ 2Mbps!

Another thing- I am using BSNL 750 plan which gives 256 kbps downloading speed (Sadly that's the only plan in India which gives you unlimited downloading at cheap rate too). And I have noticed now without any extra upgrades or charges my speed has suddenly raise to 512 kbps i.e it is around 60 kBps. Surely BSNL are also trying to same get past Airtel. I don't now how long this speed will remain though. But BSNL are trying some options to gain profits.

Looks Indian Broadband is taking new shape. Hopefully we will see more speed at less rate in future.

Now without creating any new threads we can have all Broadband discussion here :)

Airtel announced double speed for everyone but they said it'll be done by June. At first I thought they were playing it safe but its true, it is taking time. I haven't got any speed boost yet and its been 8 days since the announcement.

MTNL increased the speed of all 256kbps plans to 512kbps without any extra charges. This means unlimited internet downloads at 512kbps speed only for Rs. 650/-

Though, I really like the plan which I have. It gives 2mbps speed and 10GB data download per month. If I exceed this limit, I have to pay 10 paisa per MB. All this, plus 200 calls for Rs 750/-

MTNL increased the speed of all 256kbps plans to 512kbps without any extra charges. This means unlimited internet downloads at 512kbps speed only for Rs. 650/-

Though, I really like the plan which I have. It gives 2mbps speed and 10GB data download per month. If I exceed this limit, I have to pay 10 paisa per MB. All this, plus 200 calls for Rs 750/-
Yeah but the trouble is, my family heavily uses YouTube, and once they have 2Mbps they'll start watching videos in better quality and that 10GB limit would go down in no time. :p

Airtel is setting up wierd FUP limits but anything above 100GB is fine for me really. With the new upgrades I'm now going to get 512Kbps broadband, Telephone with Rs. 100 calls, and Airtel's IPTV (with TimeShift :D) for just 999 bucks a month, and this is a pretty darn sweet deal.

Yeah but the trouble is, my family heavily uses YouTube, and once they have 2Mbps they'll start watching videos in better quality and that 10GB limit would go down in no time.

What's your average data download per month?

I've never crossed 9GB. And, my router supports three internet connections : one desktop (connected via cables to the main router), and two laptops (my sisters' and dad's) which are supported by Wi-Fi technology. Then again, I'm the only 'hardcore' net user.

I am thinking to upgrade to Airtel but it will better to wait for some months before doing anything. We may see new plans from Airtel and BSNL.

What's your average data download per month?

I've never crossed 9GB. And, my router supports three internet connections : one desktop (connected via cables to the main router), and two laptops (my sisters' and dad's) which are supported by Wi-Fi technology. Then again, I'm the only 'hardcore' net user.
Don't really know, have been on an unlimited connection always. :D

Here is this, what I was talking about
Now BSNL Broadband doubling speeds?

Also read BSNL Launch new plan 24 MB/s speed

512 kb/s at 750 with unlimited downloading is great. But since I only pay Rs 600 for this plan, it is best for me :)

Edit: Here's confirmed news http://www.indiainfoline.com/Markets/News/BSNL-announces-free-offerings-for-its-new-broadband-customers/4804840579
Further to enable its existing landline Broadband customers to taste higher speeds and enjoy fast moving virtually live games like cricket, it has DOUBLED THE SPEEDS for all its customers who have unlimited home usage plans with speeds in the bracket ranging from256 Kbps to 1 Mbps without any extra charge upto 26th April 2010.

It's only till 26th April :(

Last edited:
I had read about BSNL's 24 Mbps plan but it will only be available to customers living in 500m radius near the node.:mad:

omkarjere added 12 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Here is this, what I was talking about
Now BSNL Broadband doubling speeds?

Also read BSNL Launch new plan 24 MB/s speed

512 kb/s at 750 with unlimited downloading is great. But since I only pay Rs 600 for this plan, it is best for me :)

Edit: Here's confirmed news BSNL announces free offerings for its new broadband customers

It's only till 26th April :(
Hey I checked my speed and usage but I m still getting 256kbps I have 750 UL Plan. So maybe double speed is a rumor :(

Hey I checked my speed and usage but I m still getting 256kbps I have 750 UL Plan. So maybe double speed is a rumor
I am getting 512kbps speed (Check Speedtest thread last post). Many people are getting this but very few people are not getting, probably because you are living in Pune?

BSNL is only now increasing from 256k to 512k? In 2008 when I was in Chennai, I set up BSNL's "512kbps UL" plan for my grandmother who lives in Chennai for Rs 750 odd per month (not sure what the exact cost was, but it was close to this). I guess BSNL should now be looking upwards towards 1mbps.

I really liked Airtel's service (used it at my other grandparents home in Chennai again) and their speeds. But since they had pro-rated bandwidth, I drank up all bandwidth and I had to pay some money on their behalf for the additional bandwidth for that month. Thats why I wish to see unlimited bandwidth at decent speeds (min. 1mbps) in India at affordable rates.

Well 1mbps unlimited was for 1700 bucks with Airtel earlier. But now that they're doubling speeds, I'd expect it to be around 1000 bucks, which is pretty affordable me thinks.

1 Mbps UNLIMITED @ Rs.1000 wud be gr8 :happy

Last edited:
1 Mbps UNLIMITED @ Rs.1000 wud be gr8

My connection UL 1MBPS
756944713.png

I pay Rs 700 PM :D

Users who are viewing this thread