The Broadband thread

A 4mbps plan for free?
Free with a 20 something quid a month Sky plan and BT phone and with a fairly small data cap (there was a Sky pamphlet in a Magazine I get from the UK). Still cheap, but not 'free'.

I just moved from paying $50 for 256k unlimited to $50 for 50GB of 1500k.

The US suffer from a lack of competition in all but major markets, regional US is just as bad as many other countries, and in some places you can only get Dialup and Sat.

As for Korean/Japan comparisons. Think of their internet as having a huge LAN across the country and then a 56k connection outside. It might be really fast for local sites, but the rest of the internet is just as slow as it is in most other countries, or even slower. Of course seeing as they'd mostly look at in language content, outside connections aren't as important as they are in the English speaking world.

Seeing as though there may be better options then Optus, would anyone truly recommend an Internode or iiNet switch?

(Based on an unlimited usage plan with particular high speeds)

I'm on Optus $129 plan. Basically 30Mbps for 25 Gb, then 256 Kbps. Unlimited free national phone calls included. I've managed to exceed the limit this month due to constant IPL streaming. :noway

For those who think Airtel's 50Mbps is the fastest Internet available, Tata Indicom has a 100Mbps connection for about Rs. 3500 monthly. Ofcourse, with an Amazing data limit of *hold your breath* 10 GB!! :laugh

The Airtel 50 Mbps plan looks good. Ofcourse it's a bit expensive for the average home user, but considering it's a premium product with a novelty of using one of the fastest internet connections in the country attached to it, it's good enough.

I'm on Optus $129 plan. Basically 30Mbps for 25 Gb, then 256 Kbps. Unlimited free national phone calls included. I've managed to exceed the limit this month due to constant IPL streaming. :noway

For those who think Airtel's 50Mbps is the fastest Internet available, Tata Indicom has a 100Mbps connection for about Rs. 3500 monthly. Ofcourse, with an Amazing data limit of *hold your breath* 10 GB!! :laugh

The Airtel 50 Mbps plan looks good. Ofcourse it's a bit expensive for the average home user, but considering it's a premium product with a novelty of using one of the fastest internet connections in the country attached to it, it's good enough.
Thats the money looting trick from businessmen in India and they are successful because many people in our country are still "Tech Illiterate" :(

Well, to be honest it's not their fault really that India doesn't have a good internet backbone.
The cables are old and incapable, laying new cables requires more permissions than money, and ofcourse, the infrastructure provided to the industry is appalling.
Things are improving, but to catch up with the developed nations, we need to act fast!

Well guy,I need help...I have Airtel broadand of Rs 999 Plan including Landline,its a wire connection of only 100kbps speed.the thing is that I have to shift my house to a new location and their,no Airtel lines are setted up....So I have only 2 options...

WIFI and USB broadband....
I don't want WiFi connection as it is very dangerous,easily hackable and can be used by mis users by matching the frequency,so I have only USB connection left as an option....Can you guys please suggest a good and cheap USB broadband connection

I need Unlimited Data download and Unlimited surfing(I have this just now in my Plan) and atleast 256kbps speed.....And Is it possible to convert my wire connection Plan into a USB one????

The main problem we have so expensive connections is that no one COMPLAINS. If some people goes to strike then it may help. Look at Airtel, they provide fastest speed but they give limit download at that speed and even in unlimited connections, they have FUP. Once it reached the bandwith becomes 256 kbps from 4MB's speed. They are looting us but no one complains.

Now I m getting double download speeds yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :banana2:banana2:banana2 So 512kbps was true after all

The main problem we have so expensive connections is that no one COMPLAINS. If some people goes to strike then it may help. Look at Airtel, they provide fastest speed but they give limit download at that speed and even in unlimited connections, they have FUP. Once it reached the bandwith becomes 256 kbps from 4MB's speed. They are looting us but no one complains.

Can you live without the internet for 1 day? Strikes won't help. In India, all the providers are competitive, and are providing the services at more or less the same price range.
You can't compare to other countries, because that would lead to opening up a can of worms.
What are the mobile phone call rates in India? What are the calling rates in other countries?
Why don't we want to compare this??

btw, in FUP, doesn't the speed halve?

Abhas added 2 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

WIFI and USB broadband....
I don't want WiFi connection as it is very dangerous,easily hackable and can be used by mis users by matching the frequency

You kidding me? Who told you that? Wifi connections can be as secure as a wired connection if configured properly.

But, if there is no wired connection to your place, there wouldn't be any wifi as well.

Last edited:

Lol. Are you for real?

Can you live without the internet for 1 day? Strikes won't help. In India, all the providers are competitive, and are providing the services at more or less the same price range.
You can't compare to other countries, because that would lead to opening up a can or worms.
What are the mobile phone call rates in India? What are the calling rates in other countries?
Why don't we want to compare this??
I am not comparing it But if it goes like this way then even if we have 100 MB's speed then still we will have download cap :mad:. Things need to change and only if people complains it can help in improving speed and there can be no caps with high speed in future. It won't change untill someone steps ahead and take some steps. Airtel is going in right way but they need to remove those stupid limits.

btw, in FUP, doesn't the speed halve?
I don't know much since I never had Airtel connection but I heard someone getting 256 kbs speed after FUP from 1 MB's. I am not sure though.

Even in Australia the net is capped.
I'm on a plan which gives me 25Gb data per month. Yeah, the speed is 30Mbps, but after exceeding the limit, I'm at 256Kbps.

And, according to the Airtel website, the speed is halved.

If some people goes to strike then it may help.

Lol. Are you for real?

Don't worry, you don't need to go. Because you will be happy of whatever connections we have.

-------

Even in Australia the net is capped.

We all know what kind of net connections are there

I am tempted to have these quotes as my sig. Though, I prefer my Sachin sig over your stupidity. So, I wont embarrass you.

Enjoy! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread