The PlanetCricket View: The eyes of cricket are on Bangalore

Article by Martin Jones -

<divclass="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 330px">
cMl2zVw7903m.jpg

Gayle celebrates his century.</p></div>With very good reason, the world of cricket is focussed on the Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore. The stadium has today played host to the single greatest display of hitting the world has ever seen. Christopher Henry Gayle has proved today precisely why he is the greatest Twenty20 batsman in the world. I cannot think of a way to put what he has achieved into words, so I will simply give you the raw numbers:

• Gayle scored 175 not out, a record in all T20 cricket, beating Brendan McCullum’s 158.
  • He reached his century in 30 balls, a new record, beating Andrew Symonds’ 34-ball effort.
  • The milestone came in only the ninth over of the RCB innings.
  • In his innings, Gayle hit 17 sixes, another world record.
  • With 13 fours as well, he hit a world record 154 runs in boundaries.
  • Five of the Pune bowlers combined bowled twelve overs for 211. An economy rate of 17.58.
  • The Jamaican’s strike rate was a shade over 265.
  • This is Gayle’s eleventh T20 century. His 5265 career runs have come at an average of 46.33 and strike rate of 155.
His contribution took the Royal Challengers to a (you guessed it) world record 263 for 5. ?I don’t need to add any words, the numbers are enough.
This article and many more can be found at<ahref="http://poppingcrease.weebly.com/1/post/2013/04/the-eyes-of-cricket-are-on-bangalore.html"> The Popping Crease.

More...

Users who are viewing this thread