The fastest bowler of the modern era? (60s onward)

prarara

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was watching a video where a lot of the fastest bowlers from 60s faced off in a bowling duel. Jeff Thompson came up as the fastest (fastest delivery at 147 km/hr) and the most accurate.

What I also read was that delivery speed was measured at the batsmen's end, so the 147 km/hr could've been 150-160 km/hr. Quite fast.

Shoaib Akhtar has officially been clocked at 100 m/hr/ around 166 km/hr. The speed guns were questionable in RSA, but it's still the official counting.

So who's the fastest bowler In your opinion? Plus who was the most accurate given his pace in your opinion?

I'd rate Wasim Akram as the most accurate, or at least definitely up there. Another would be Vaas and Pollock. Shane Bond used to be the most consistently fast, but I think Brett Lee is the fastest now.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I think Brett Lee is probably top currently.

If Jeff Thompson got the ball in at 147 km/h at the batsman's end, there is almost no question that he was the fastest. Speed guns nowadays measure it when it comes out of the hand and of course a lot of speed is lost by the ball pitching. Most top-tier fast bowlers deteriorate to about the 120's/130's by the time the ball reaches the batsman.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
1960's onwards is easily Thompson since he bowled over 152 k/h (94mph) on a regular basis. Michael Holding bowled nearly the same speed and got to about 151 k/h (91mph). Shoaib Akthar could get to about 152 k/h (94mph) at his peak and Brett Lee can get over 150 k/m (92mph) quite easily.

To be English ;) I would say that combining pace and accuracy would be Andrew Flintoff since he bowl the ball on the same spot and can still do it at 89-90mph but Wasim Akram could do it as well at great pace and be able to swing the ball.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Shoaib AKhtar is the official fastest bowler.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
1960's onwards is easily Thompson since he bowled over 152 k/h (94mph) on a regular basis. Michael Holding bowled nearly the same speed and got to about 151 k/h (91mph). Shoaib Akthar could get to about 152 k/h (94mph) at his peak and Brett Lee can get over 150 k/m (92mph) quite easily.
And what makes you think that? I thought you were like 17?

In the 1979 competition on youtube, Thompson clocked 147kph. That's the fastest he could possibly bowl as his previous speeds were well below that and as far as Michael Holding goes he didn't even pass 140kph.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
And what makes you think that? I thought you were like 17?

In the 1979 competition on youtube, Thompson clocked 147kph. That's the fastest he could possibly bowl as his previous speeds were well below that and as far as Michael Holding goes he didn't even pass 140kph.

I can't tell that exact speed but I get a feel for how quick they might be. There is no doubt Holding can bowl faster than 140kph, I've seen videos of him and he could certainly send them down in the 90mph zone.

irottev

School Cricketer
Akhtar has the fastest ball recorded, however Shaun Tait is the fastest bowler at the moment.

Most accurate, well if I can still include Shaun Pollock i'll go with him, otherwise Stuart Clark.

Sureshot

Executive member
What I also read was that delivery speed was measured at the batsmen's end, so the 147 km/hr could've been 150-160 km/hr. Quite fast.

From release to the batsman, a quick pitch nowadays would be considered a loss of about 16mph, with bowlers like Lee getting the ball to the batsman passing him at around 76mph. 16x1.6 = 25.6 If the ball was measured past the batsman at 147, it would've left the bowler at 172. Which is about 105mph. That doesn't sound quite right to me.

svijay

Club Cricketer
By the way, it is Thomson without a 'p', as in Venezuela.

But Asterix over Tintin any day :)

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
From release to the batsman, a quick pitch nowadays would be considered a loss of about 16mph, with bowlers like Lee getting the ball to the batsman passing him at around 76mph. 16x1.6 = 25.6 If the ball was measured past the batsman at 147, it would've left the bowler at 172. Which is about 105mph. That doesn't sound quite right to me.

Yeah, twas back in 1979. That Reefa probably getting to the timers heads;) Dont think they would have been that accurate back in the day.

ivanvdm15

International Cricketer
Shaoib isn't a bowler because he chucks and believe me if he has to straighten his arm he won't be near as fast as Lee and Steyn
But to me Lee tops Fastest and most Acurate.....

Users who are viewing this thread