The Free Hit Rule - Beamers

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
I think the Free Hit Rule should be extended to include Beamers, surely a dangerous head high full toss from a fast bowler is a worse sin than overstepping the popping crease, and as such, it deserves to be punished with a Free Hit.

I agree, i am guessing they have the front foot no ball free hit to try to minimise overstepping, where as over the waist full toss's don't occur often

Yea, I thought the free-hit was to discourage no-balls, have less time wasted, and make it go quicker. And if you do bowl a no-ball, the crowd gains from getting to see a free hit. Kinda like a free gift if their meal is late or something.

And generally beamers are by accident. I know it feels bad to have bowled a beamer, and then to get punished on top of it by bowling a free hit is a bit harsh.

Well technically a beamer is a no-ball, So yeah I agree completely. As most have said the beamer is far more worse offence than simply overstepping a line...

Well fre-hit should be also bought in test cricket and also wides should be punished with free hits...

Well fre-hit should be also bought in test cricket and also wides should be punished with free hits...
No I don't think there should be a free hit for wides because it's kind of harsh.
but I think the batsman should get a free if the bowler bowls a beamer

Don't really like the free hit rule much at all if I'm honest. Certainly don't want to see it in Test Cricket. Certainly wouldn't want to see it for Wides. But it does have it's place in the spectacle of One Day Cricket and I don't see why it shouldn't be given for Beamers.

Zorax, you may feel they are accidentally bowled and almost all of them are, but I don't think many bowlers intend to overstep the crease but they still do.

No. Lets not tinker with that. It wont be good. Already the wides are being penalised with a run. Since the test wides are very minimal due to the increase in the range of the area where you can legally bowl a ball, you dont need such new rules.

Zorax, you may feel they are accidentally bowled and almost all of them are, but I don't think many bowlers intend to overstep the crease but they still do.
Hmm, you could argue that no-balls should be something that a bowler should control, whereas beamers can happen to anyone, but a bowler at professional level should be able to control bowling beamers as well. Maybe because, as said earlier, beamers are less likely and so shouldn't be penalised when they happen, but if the point is to cut out errors then this should be punished as well.

In principal I am generally against anything that makes the game harder for bowlers, but I can see why maybe this should be changed. I don't like it though. I'm gonna stick onto the argument that beamers could happen to anyone while no-balls can be controlled for now....

I agree. Would be nice is umpires would call more beamers too. Some go un-punished.

You really get a free hit with a beamer anyway as you know it is above waist height when you hit it so you play the shot with the knowledge that you can't get out.

Like Free Hits for ODI cricket but I would question the use of them in Test Cricket. I would Test Cricket more entertaining, which is what it needs with Twenty20 threatening to take over, but the problem it's another rule which favours the batsmen. I think in Test Cricket although we are looking for ways to liven Test Cricket up, we need to make it an even contest between bat and ball if we can.

You have a point there Wolf, but most of the time a batsman is too surprised and too busy avoiding being sconned to take advantage of it.

As for the Free Hit rule in general, I think it is pretty harsh on the bowler anyway, taking a wicket and then finding out it is not out because it was a no ball is probably the most frustrating thing that can happen to a bowler.

The Free Hit is good for the spectators in ODIs though, it diverts their attention away from throwing stuff and the mexican wave for a few seconds and forces them to focus on the action on the field again.

Users who are viewing this thread