• Tendulkar

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Richards

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Any sensible fan would regard these two men as the 2 finest ODI batsmen to have ever laced up a pair of boots. After Viv finished his career, no one probably believed that there would be someday a player who could challenge him for the spot of the greatest ever ODI batsman. But one man came out of the blue and did exactly that - Sachin Tendulkar. To average 45.12 at a strike rate of 86.26 over 442 ODI matches is simple extraordinary. Comparing those figures to Viv's average of 47 and strike rate of 90 over 187 ODI matches, I feel inclined to pick Sachin due to the longevity factor. Sachin has maintained those figures after player a hell of a lot more matches than Viv.

But before that, there are certain factors that need to be issued -

1. Viv retired in 1991, while the 15 over fielding restrictions was implemented from 1992. Sachin started opening the innings on a very regular basis from about 1998. Sachin has enjoyed that rule for almost 12 years now, which Viv never did.

2. It's true that the bowling attack in the 90's used to be far better than the attack from 2000 onwards. Sachin made his name during the 90's itself. However, what's also true is that the bowling attack in the 70's and 80's when Viv played used to be even better than that of the 90's.

3. Viv enjoyed the liberty to play against the then minnows Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. Sachin has got the liberty to play against more than just 1 minnow team (not including Zimbabwe, since it used to have a bowling attack far better than India until Sachin last played them in an ODI match). Let's look at their averages after removing the minnows -

Viv - 46.72

Sachin - 43.80

4. Viv used to play at a strike rate of 90, in an era where a strike rate in the 60's used to be the norm. Most of the good ODI players of that time like Miandad, Haynes, Greenidge, etc used to have a strike rate in the 60's. Most importantly, India's Kris Srikanth with a strike rate of 71 used to be considered an aggressive batsman. Imagine what a strike rate of 90 used to mean at that time.

Looking at the above factors, I feel inclined to rate Viv as the best ever ODI batsman, with Sachin running in a close second. To put it, "Richards the king, Tendulkar his heir".

Last edited:

TumTum

International Cricketer
I am going to go with Richards.

Other than the reasons you mentioned, Richards batted on pitches much harder to bat on, when crossing 300 was very rare. And with his SR, that is simply incredible.

So you might say he was at least 2X better than Sachin, but of course he didn't play as much games as Sachin to maintain consistency.

Robelinda

International Coach
Pretty sure the first 15 overs fielding restrictions applied from well well before 1992. More like 1972, though I dont know the exact year, sometime in the 70's though.

People seem to forget Dean Jones was neck and neck with Viv in the 80's, in terms of strike rate and the 'fear' factor.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
I am going to go with Richards.

Other than the reasons you mentioned, Richards batted on pitches much harder to bat on, when crossing 300 was very rare. And with his SR, that is simply incredible.

So you might say he was at least 2X better than Sachin, but of course he didn't play as much games as Sachin to maintain consistency.

That's why I said Sachin comes at a close second.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
As highly as I rate Viv Richards, I don't think you can look past a batsman that's maintained such a level of consistency over such a long period of time, scoring heaps of runs and 46 centuries. Both top class batsmen, but I rate Sachin higher personally.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Pretty sure the first 15 overs fielding restrictions applied from well well before 1992. More like 1972, though I dont know the exact year, sometime in the 70's though.

People seem to forget Dean Jones was neck and neck with Viv in the 80's, in terms of strike rate and the 'fear' factor.

What are you talking about? Dean Jones played at a strike rate of 71, Viv played at a strike rate of 90. That's an ocean of difference.

And you are wrong, the 15 over fielding restriction rule was introduced from the 1992 World Cup onwards - Cricinfo - Cricket World Cup 2007 in West Indies
Innovations: 15-over fielding restrictions had made their debut in 1992, but 1996 was the year the pinch-hitters really seized their opportunity. Sri Lanka, Australia and India exploited the wide open spaces with aggressive early batting. England didn't. The third umpire also made his first appearance in front of the TV monitor.

Robelinda

International Coach
Viv, Sachin, Ponting, Gilchrist, Jayasuriya- why even bother for one second to rank them? Seems a futile exercise.

I guess you never watched much of Dean Jones vs Viv in the 80's then eh?

Last edited:

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
As highly as I rate Viv Richards, I don't think you can look past a batsman that's maintained such a level of consistency over such a long period of time, scoring heaps of runs and 46 centuries. Both top class batsmen, but I rate Sachin higher personally.

You still haven't voted, have you:D

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Sachin. Legend. 46 tons, a career spanning 2 decades, the greatest ODI opening batsman ever, carrying the weight of a nation to perform, facing all types of bowlers in all conditions and in all situations and performing, a 200 in ODIs, the most scores above 150 in ODIs (I think it's him anyways), phenomenal player.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
the most scores above 150 in ODIs (I think it's him anyways), phenomenal player.

Correct, 5 scores of more than 150 - 186* vs New Zealand (1998), 152 vs Namibia (2003), 163* vs New Zealand (2009), 175 vs Australia (2009), 200* vs South Africa (2010).

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Good to have an Indian user "attacking" naysayers with stats. A truly welcome change here :D

As for my opinion - Sachin Tendulkar.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It seems unfair to compare Sachin with Richards or Richards with Sachin. They are just too great to be compared to each other.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Well Sachin may be not in peoples top 50 all cricketers list or batsman list, but he is in a league of his own in terms of batting in ODIs.

Something as idiotic it may sound, like Ponting Viv hardly faced best bowlers of his time as all of them were in his side.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Well Sachin may be not in peoples top 50 all cricketers list or batsman list, but he is in a league of his own in terms of batting in ODIs.

Something as idiotic it may sound, like Ponting Viv hardly faced best bowlers of his time as all of them were in his side.

:rtfl:rtfl Is this a joke? Two examples -

1. He was placed at the #7th spot back in 2001 in ESPN's '25 Greatest Cricketer's of All Time'. The list was compiled by 15 men, most of them being former greats and a few of them being highly respected cricketer analyst. Here's the link - ESPN Legends of Cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. He was placed at the #9th spot recently in 2009 by Christopher Martin Jenkins in his '100 Greatest Test Cricketers of All Time. Here's the link - Don Bradman's star would shine in any era - Times Online

Not to mention he found a place in Bradman's Dream Team, ahead of Viv Richards at the number 4 spot.

P.S. He also found a place in Richie Benaud's Dream Team - http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/135375.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread