The International Football Story - World Cup 2010

ITVWC10.png

Saturday 12 June 2010

Group C - Brazil v Australia - Live on ITV1 and HD

Adrian Chiles: (in his broad West Midlands accent) Hello all, welcome to our big live game of the day on ITV1 and HD. This really should be a cracker with the Samba Boys getting their tournament underway against the relatively unfancied Socceroos. Last time out, in 2006, the Brazilians fell to the French in the Quarter Finals but the Australians impressed, reaching the Last 16.​

Andy Townsend: There's no hope for the Aussies this afternoon though, Adrian. I'm looking forward to a number of goals from the kings of world football this afternoon.​

Adrian Chiles: Well, we'll see We've got Edgar Davids with us today as well. Edgar, who are you tipping for World Cup glory this year?​

Edgar Davids: Well. You know it's a very difficult to decide. I think a number of teams could win - but I will go for Diego Maradona's Argentina. Mainly because the team spirit in their camp is incredible, and Diego is a legend.​

Adrian Chiles: Yes, quite. A legend in some people's books, anyway. So, lets have a look at today's starting lineups and see who is going to pose a threat for both sides.​

BRAvAUS.png

Andy Townsend: As you can see, Dunga is continuing with his slightly defensive tactics, keeping players behind the ball - with the two up front all alone. It will be interesting to see if the usual Brazilian spark is there with this negative formation.​

Edgar Davids: The Australians, on the other hand, have gone slightly more attacking, albeit with only the lone striker, Mark Viduka, up front. He has some excellent midfield support, especially through Harry Kewell.​

Adrian Chiles: Predictions, lads?​

Andy Townsend: It's impossible to look beyond Brazil - a simple 3-0 win for me.​

Edgar Davids: I think Brazil will struggle to score that many goals with their negative tactics. I'd still fancy them to win though.​

Adrian Chiles: Thank you guys. Now it's over to Ellis Park in Johannesburg to join our commentary team, Jon Champion and Chris Coleman.​

MATCH COMMENTARY
with Jon Champion and Chris Coleman

KOFF.png
KICK OFF - The Samba Boys are underway here in Ellis Park, scene of South Africa's Rugby World Cup triumph in 1995. Brazil will be hoping to send out a message to all other competitors to show just how much of a threat they pose to some of the other potential finalists.​

6 MINUTES - Brazil's first chance here. Some fluid build up from the boys in yellow here. Motta to Felipe Melo. That's an excellent ball to Pato in the box. He has a pop. That's gone well wide, good start from the five times winners, though.

YELC.png
15 MINUTES -
Again, some excellent build up play on the edge of the box. McKain's tripped Melo up here - that'll be a free kick and a booking from McKain. He'll have to be careful now.

28 MINUTES - I can't remember the Aussies venturing into the Brazilian third of the pitch here. It's been total domination, without any goals. That's come off of Neill for a corner to Brazil. Chance. Melo swings in the corner, but its cleared well by McKain - the ball falls to Melo's feet, but he shoots well over. I blame it on the ball. :facepalm

31 MINUTES - Another corner here for the rampant Brazilians. Melo swings in an excellent ball. Thiago Silva gets his head to it and that's JUST OVER THE TOP. Close. The Socceroos just can't get their hands...or rather, feet...on the ball at the moment.

HT.png
45 + 2 MINUTES - HALF TIME - How on Earth Brazil haven't taken the lead and scored at least two or three here, I'll never know. In fairness to the Australians, they have done excellently in defence - but with the amount of shots on target that Brazil have had, you'd have expected at least one to cross the line. Brazil 0 - 0 Australia.

YELC.png
54 MINUTES -
Brazil building up a head of steam, yet again, here. Melo picks up a yellow card after a rather desperate looking push on Kewell as Australia looked for a rare break. Dreadful free kick from Australia, though. Brazil gain immediate control of the ball and head forward. That goes out off of McKain, who's going to be subbed soon. Marcelo swings in a corner - cleared. Then he swings in a cross - cleared. Then he takes a shot and that is a bloody GREAT SAVE from Petkovic.

BAR.png
61 MINUTES -
The Australians get their first chance of the game...it's a long ball on the counter after yet more Brazilian pressure. How is it not 3 or 4 - nil!? Anyway, long ball from Grella (the defensive midfielder) which falls at the feet of Viduka. He may as well have a pop from range here - OH MY IT RATTLES THE BAR and goes out for a goal kick. Lucky, lucky Brazil.

80 MINUTES - Brazil are struggling to break down this stubborn defence in search of a winner that could be telling in this, one of the two groups of death. Switzerland and Cameroon are going to be very happy if the result stays as it is. Brazil attack the Aussie box once again, Marcelo gets a great cross in, and Melo's free all alone on the right hand side of the box. Low shot - GREAT SAVE again. Maybe it's written in the stars...

FT.png
90 + 4 MINUTES - FULL TIME - All over. Dunga looks distraught on the bench, he knows how costly this result could be to his team's hopes of reaching the second round - something that Brazil have always acheived. This has been a truly marvellous defensive effort from the Socceroos who in fact had to best chance to win when Viduka hit the woodwork in the 61st minute. Well done Australia. Brazil 0 - 0 Australia.

Adrian Chiles: Now for a look at some of the stats from that rather drab game. It will be interesting to see how dominant the Brazilians were.​

17 SHOTS 12
7 ON TARGET 1
57% POSSESSION 43%
13 FOULS 17
2 YELLOWS 2

Andy Townsend: Well that is a massive shock. Brazil looked distinctly average and could not break down the stubborn Aussie defence. Well done to the Australians - they could challenge for qualification from this tough group.

Edgar Davids: The happiest teams as a result of this are the others in this group. World ranked 7 and 9, Switzerland and Cameroon will have a chance to knock Brazil out. Interesting.​

Adrain Chiles: Well that's all from us this afternoon. If you missed the match earlier, there will be a full highlights package later on this evening, but it was true domination from Russia against Morocco in Group B from the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth as Hiddink's Russia won 4-0. Later on this evening is the second match from Group B, Sweden v Canada. The 1958 runners up will be looking to get off to a good start against massive underdogs. Tomorrow...Group D featuring Holland. Good evening.​

GROUP B:
Russia 4 - 0 Morocco
Sweden v Canada - Tonight​

GROUP C:
Brazil 0 - 0 Australia
Cameroon v Switzerland - Tomorrow​

Great result from the Aussies there. Thought we were going to lose. LOL at Dukes playing.

Australian formation looked a great deal better than Brazil's, the 4-2-3-1 is extremely effective on FM10 and so a 0-0 result wasn't out of the running after I saw the two teams.

Well presented. :thumbs

Australian formation looked a great deal better than Brazil's, the 4-2-3-1 is extremely effective on FM10 and so a 0-0 result wasn't out of the running after I saw the two teams.

Well presented. :thumbs

Clearly in real life too...being the formation of Spain and the Netherlands. Wales really need to start utilising this with our talented youths - it is Toshack's invention, after all!

Thats a great point for the Aussies. I though Brazil would thrash them but no. Dunno why Brazil use that weird 4-2-2-2 formation thats really weird. Anyways I am happy Brazil aren't winning.

ITVWC10.png

World Cup Highlights - DAY TWO

Matt Smith - Good evening and welcome to the highlights package of the day's events from South Africa here on ITV1! We'll do a quick run through of each of the three games today and take a look at the various group tables at the end of the show.

Matt Smith - First up was Russia v Morocco from Group B at 3pm. This always looked like being a walkover from a neutral perspective. Could the North Africans even pose a threat?

RUSMOR-1.png

RUSvMOR.png

Matt Smith - The answer, clearly, was no. A great start for Guus Hiddink's men who are looking to emulate their success at Euro 2008 where they reached the semi finals. The Russian formation certainly looks strong. Now onto the second game of the day, which was live on ITV1 and HD earlier, Brazil v Australia. This provided perhaps the biggest shock of the tournament so far, with the Brazilians unable to break down a stern Australian defence.

BRAAUS.png

Matt Smith - Switzerland and Cameroon play tomorrow - can one of them take advantage of Brazil's slip up? The final match of the day was also from Group B featuring another European team against a huge outsider - Sweden v Canada. Canada only just qualified for the World Cup after coming through a playoff, and are very lucky to be here in the first place. They have no chance, surely?

SWECAN-1.png

SWEvCAN.png

Matt Smith - A dominant performance from the 4-4-2 of Sweden puts them right up there with Russia in Group B. I think we can presume which of the four teams will be qualifying from that group! Talking of which, lets take a look at the Group tables before we sign off for the evening.

BC1-1.png

Matt Smith - Group C is a very tough group indeed, so very well done to the Socceroos today. Tomorrow sees Switzerland take on Cameroon and the two opening matches from Group D involving the Netherlands, Serbia, South Korea and Egypt.​

Last edited:
You have to question Dunga's tactics against Australia, a team they should be looking to beat comfortably. Dunga was happy to cruise through making sure they didn't concede but rarely looking to get men forward. Kaka in this deeper role seems odd as he could be much more of a threat further up the pitch.

I'm loving the presentation of this Rhys, this looks a really top story.

Morocco for the cup... ;)

Good wins for Russia and Sweden and a great point for Australia. Its been an open World Cup so far. KIU mate, its great. :clap

A very small issue with my save game (ie I think I forgot to save it after a played matchday) has led to a small delay as I have to re-write a new post and highlights package for Day Three. :D

BBCWC10.png

Sunday 13th June 2010

D: NETHERLANDS v SERBIA - LIVE!

Gary Lineker - Good afternoon and welcome to our first big European clash of the World Cup between the 1974 and 1978 finalists, the Netherlands, and a team competing at it's first World Cup finals as a solely independent nation, Serbia. On the face of it, it would seem like a win for the Dutch, but the story of the two teams relative levels of form would say otherwise.​

Alan Hansen - Definitely. Holland's form has been atrocious over the past year, they've only just qualified for the World Cup finals through a playoff and are ranked in the low 30s in FIFA's Official World Rankings. Serbia, on the other hand, raced away with their qualification group and are inside the world's Top 15.​

Alan Shearer - These two teams will be quite evenly matched today, though. Just taking a look at the lineups, there is some excellent forward threat for both teams from Snjeider, Robben and van Persie for the Dutch and from Zigic for the Serbians.​

Gary Lineker: Lets take a look at the line-ups!​

HOLvSER.png

Alan Shearer: The Dutch have lined up with a solid defensive line through the use of de Jong as a defensive midfielder. The use of Sneijder and Robben down the flanks could be telling.​

Alan Hansen: The Serbians have lined up similar to the Australians against Brazil, and that proved effective in negating the threat posed by a naturally attacking team, like the Netherlands. However, the Serbians pose a much greater threat up front than the Aussies, so the formation should lead to some goals!​

Gary Lineker: Predictions then, guys?​

Alan Shearer: 1-1​

Alan Hansen: 2-1 to Serbia. Holland's form has been dreadful to say the least.​

Gary Lineker: Well. Can the Serbians get their World Cup off to an ideal start? Let's head over the Cape Town and our commentary team of Mark Bright and Stuart Hall.​

MATCH COMMENTARY
live from Newlands, Cape Town

KOFF.png
KICK OFF - The teams get underway here in Cape Town to start their respective World Cup campaigns. The Netherlands will be looking to ease into the competition and put their recent form behind them. The Serbians will be looking to upset the Dutch here.​

BAR.png
11 MINUTES -
Sulejmani swings a cross in and it's blocked by de Jong. Corner to Serbia, who have had all of the play so far. Krasic swings the corner in - great flight. Zigic gets his head to it and it RATTLES OFF OF THE BAR. So close there for the Serbians. Pressure building...

15 MINUTES - The Netherlands with a chance here. Thrown down to Robben from the halfway line...great pass to Sneijder on the edge of the box. He shoots and MY GOD IT'S IN...hold that. IT'S NOT IN - it's hit the side netting. Sorry about that. Still 0-0 - somehow!

YELC.png
20 MINUTES -
Great build up play again from the Serbians leads to a free kick in a good position on the edge of the box as Sneijder trips Sulejmani. Yellow card to Sneijder, there.

PENMISS.png
REDC.png
21 MINUTES - Stankovic swings the free kick into the box from the left. Boulahrouz trips Subotic in the box - disgusting behaviour. PENALTY - the ref has seen Boula's dirty work there and awarded a deserved penalty for the Serbs. Oh...there's more that's a RED CARD for Boulahrouz - that seems just a little harsh for one trip. The door is now open for Serbia to take this game.

GOAL.png
22 MINUTES -
Zigic steps up to take the penalty. It's low and to the right - GOAL. That's his 20th goal for Serbia. Netherlands 0 - 1 Serbia.

32 MINUTES - Robben has a pop from long range. Desperate stuff from the Netherlands here.

GOAL.png
38 MINUTES -
Krasic corner from the right. Excellent flight on that once again, boy is he playing well today! Dragutinovic gets his head on that one though and it sails past the goalkeeper. Serbia right on top here with their second GOAL! Netherlands 0 - 2 Serbia.

44 MINUTES - The Netherlands are just starting to build up a head of steam after a shot passes just over the bar. Van de Vaart swings a quality corner in here - great save from the Serbian keeper to keep his side two in front.

PENMISS.png
YELC.png
GOAL.png
45 + 2 MINUTES -
Excellent through ball to van Persie here. He's alone in the box, surely it's going to be 2-1. Oh, but Subotic has tripped van Persie. The referee has awarded another PENALTY. Surely Subotic has to go now too, nope - it's only a yellow. Lucky, lucky boy. Van de Vaart plants the ball into the top right corner from the penalty - GOAL! The Netherlands are back in this.

HT.png
45+3 - HALF TIME -
The Netherlands have got themselves right back into this here with that goal in injury time. Good. This should provide an exciting second half. Can the Netherlands get anything from this game with just ten men - if they do, Serbia will be very upset that they did not take full advantage of the 10-men of Holland. Netherlands 1 - 2 Serbia.

54 MINUTES - van Bommell is dispossessed by Krasic here. This is forward to Ljajic. Oh - beautiful play from the Serbs here. Excellent ball into Zigic on his own in the box. He must score here! OHH GREAT SAVE! Pushes it just wide. The resulting corner from Stankovic forces another wonderful save. How is it not 3-1?!

58 MINUTES - The Serbs are really dominant now. I can't see Holland getting back into this one...

63 MINUTES - Ivanovic plays it through to Zigic who slides the ball along the ground in the box. Sulejmani latches on to it but tries to pass it into the net. Easy save.

GOAL.png
88 MINUTES -
Excellent forward movement from the dominant Serbs once again. Kacar attacks Mathijsen - that's right through him. Pass through to Zigic' feet is excellent once again, they are looking like potential Quarter Finalists and beyond here! Zigic should score again here...but it's another great save - it parries off of Marcellis and into his own net. OWN GOAL! Serbia have wrapped it up. Netherlands 1 - 3 Serbia.

FT.png
90 + 3 MINUTES - FULL TIME -
That's it. All over. Serbia have dominated the Dutch here and fully deserve their win, despite the early red card and penalty. There was a question of offside about the own-goal situation, but in the end it wouldn't have mattered. Netherlands 1 - 3 Serbia.

Gary Lineker: Well. That's a bit of a shock. Excellent work from Serbia - let's take a look at those stats!​

10 SHOTS 25
4 ON TARGET 6
41% POSSESSION 59%
16 FOULS 8
4 YELLOWS 2
1 REDS 0

Gary Lineker: So then, what do you make of that, Alan?​

Alan Hansen: I'm not at all surprised. The Netherlands were very dirty, resulting in that early red card, and their form has been dreadful.​

Alan Shearer: Serbia looked fantastic going forward, they should qualify as group winners and then...who knows. They possess the talent to go far. Good luck to them!​

Gary Lineker: Indeed. It'll be interesting to see how they progress, assuming they reach the Last 16. Join Colin Murray tonight for the highlights programme!​

GROUP C:
Switzerland v Cameroon - Evening Game

GROUP D:
Netherlands 1 - 3 Serbia
Egypt 0 - 0 Slovakia​

BBCWC10.png

World Cup Highlights - DAY THREE

Colin Murray - Good evening and welcome to our BBC highlights package showcasing the action from Day Three, Sunday 13 June 2010, at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa. It has been another excellent day's action and we've now finished half of the first round of group matches.

Colin Murray - First up was Egypt and South Korea in Group D, the Group of Death II, both teams will be looking to get into the knockout stages. But could one of them take advantage here?

EGYSKO.png

EGYvSKO.png

Colin Murray - With that boring 0-0 draw, these two teams left the group wide open for one of the other teams in Group D to take advantage and take a huge step towards progression. As you may have seen on BBC1 earlier today, would it be Holland or Serbia?

HOLSER.png

HOLvSER.png

Colin Murray - An excellent performance from Serbia there gives them a massive chance to qualify from this group - something they will almost certainly do if they win their second game. The evening brought the conclusion of the first round in Group C, with Switzerland v Cameroon - could one of these two highly rated teams put the pressure on Brazil and Australia following their 0-0 yesterday?

SUICAM.png

SUIvCAM.png

Colin Murray - Two late goals in that game really livened up an otherwise drab group so far - so much for the 'Group of Death I'! Cameroon delighted the majority of supporters with their important equaliser at the death. Group C is still impossible to call - I love it!

Colin Murray - So. Taking a look at the two groups, it is intriguingly poised! Group C features all four teams on one point - can any of the teams take an advantage in the second round of group games. Group D has Serbia leading the way, and they really should qualify from here!

CD1.png

Colin Murray - Tomorrow...England get underway against Chile while the French open up against North Korea. Will they both be dominant wins?​

Holland-Serbia game was action packed! In the end Serbia deserved it, but had it not been for an early penalty then things could've easily been different.

Users who are viewing this thread