50:
100:

T20 CAREER
MATCH:
RUNS:
HS:
50:
100:

SPECIAL THANKS TO Born to Fight for Success by Surendar whose Story inspire me to make this Story.

INDEX

Part 1 - Joining Barbados Camp.
1. Day of the Camp
2. Camp Day 1
3. Camp Day 2
4. Camp Day 3
5. Camp Day 5-8
6. Camp Day 9
7. Camp Day 10
8. Camp Day 12

The Journey Of Randy Wilson

I have always been wanted to play for Barbados and The West Indies. I have been playing my heart out in school as a Batsman, Coming in at number 4,during my School cricketing career I have average about 45.40, scoring 5 Centuries and 12 50's. Once I had Finish School, I started to Apply to play for Barbados. I was given a Chance to join the Barbados Camp. Just awaiting to Start the camp to showcase my talent. My Dreams was getting close, was Hoping and praying that I get a Chance to be part of Barbados Squad for the Upcoming First Class Competition.

Last edited:

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
DAY OF THE CAMP

I had Join the Barbados Camp. They were 26 players including myself who were call up for the Camp. Player like K Edwards, O Phillips, J Carter, K Stoute, K Williams, C Brathwaite, R Reifer, A Nurse, J Holder, F Edwards, T Best, S Benn, D.R Smith, K Brathwaite, M Nurse, S Dowrich, K Mayers, R Chase, S Benn, M Cummins, K Roach, S Brooks, K Hopes, with Young Player like J Drakes (19) , J Jones (19) and Myself (16).
The Camp will be for 20 days at the 3 w's Oval, in University or the West Indies in Barbados. It will be featuring two 3 Days Match and two 50 Over game. After the Camp, they be will selecting the Barbados Team for the First Class Match, followed by the Limited Over Match. I was there under a lot of pressure thinking how will I be selected with so much big names, some already plays for the West Indies Team.

The Team will start off on Day 1 with some Fitness Training and Net Practice for the first 3 days, Day 4 will feature the first 3 day match. Day7 will be a Rest day. Day 8 again a few Fitness training and net practice. Day 9 Rest. Day 10 50 Over match.
Day 11 Rest. Day 12 again Fitness training/ Net practice. Day 13 the 2nd 3 day Match. Day 16 Rest. Day 17 Practice . Day 18 The 2nd 50 over game. Day 19- Go over most the Practices session and technique we have learn. Day 20 - Selection day.

It's going to be a very long and hard working few days. I am hoping i am Mentally and physically fit for this. This is something which i had never done, never been to a Camp before. In School just use to play after school practice and that it. This was going to be an experience for me. I am very exciting to be part of it.

a1u39l.jpg

[3w's Oval at UWI]

Last edited:

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
rbch14.jpg

THE DAY OF PRACTICE.
The day had arrived. I was given 60 Balls in the net Practice to give the coach the idea what i am capable of. I didn't had a great practice, Once I had the 60th ball had bowled, I had knew, this wasn't my best attempt at Batting , out of the 60 ball, I only manage to get 34 delivery which connected my bat. With 60% of the shots been offside. I was very nervous during the practice, which could cost me me selection, the camp still has a very long way to go, so i am going to try not to lose hope and will try my best, on the next day.
For my fielding and Fitness, I did very good, caught all of my catches, also got three direct hit at the Stumps.

After the day, the coach came up to me. He said he was very please with me, and he knows I am capable of doing better. The coach really made me feel good, and it really give me confidence to perform better tomorrow.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Sad that this place is very quiet despite potential stories like these! Good luck, hoping to see some more readers to jump and encourage too. :)

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
2afx3j9.jpg

Camp Day 2
The second day of Camp. Yesterday the coach word brought out a lot of confidence in today's Game plan. I started off again with some batting practice in the nets. The confidence I had going into this Net Practice, Boosted my performance. I had given 90% of good shot selection, connecting very well with the Bat. My second day of training was great, I did much better than my first day, the coach had been very helpful to me, he had help me break my nervousness. Which end up in the results of me doing much better. The coach could see a lot of talent in me, which he keep remaining me,he also really stress on what i need to improve. Mainly his problem with me, is my technique in playing my shot on the off side, is my biggest issue, I may have played many good shots on the off side, but its with a bowling machine, and in the nets. Been on the field and out in the middle is a different story, it's something which I myself have to learn. The coach kept advising me keep playing my shots on the ground. Most of my off side shots tend to go into the air, which could cost my wicket. The coach mention there will be one day remain where we can good on the offside shots, before we go on to the camp's match. This Match is what ever i have been though in the net, i will have to execute it out there, along with how am i going to handle the position out in the middle. With these words coming from the coach, have given me the will to learn more showing how much the coach care about his player, and I wouldn't like to disappoint it.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
2rwn4vk.jpg

Day 3

The Final day of Practice in the nets. Just like yesterday I had perform reasonable well. My timing of the ball had improve dramatically. The Coach was very please to see my timing and the way i was handling each ball, which was delivered by the ball machine. My off side shots which were not good at all, over night i had improve on it. Not hundred percent in control, but close to it. As we prepare for an off day for tomorrow. The Coach decided to split the Camp into two, naming two team which will play a three day match.

K Edwards (c) , D.R Smith, O Phillips, M Nurse, K Mayers, S Dowrich (wkt), C Brathwaitee, F Edwards, T Best, K Roach, A Nurse, K Williams and J Jones.

K Brathwaite (c),R Wilson, R Reifer, J Carter (wkt),K Hope K Stoute, S Brooks, A Nurse, J Holder, M Cummins, S Benn, J Drakes and R Chase.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
NOTE: i had 3 day match. written above , unfortunely i had played a 4 day match. Will change it 4 days and will still have one 4 day matches and one 3 day match.
Day 5 - Day 8
Training Match.

Finally the day had Come, the day I was really looking forward to. The day of the practice match. A 4 day practice match. I was selected to play in the starting 11 for this 1st Match. I was very exciting. My team which was Lead by Kraigg Brathwaite lost the toss to Kirk Edwards Team.

I was place at Mid on nearly the whole Innings, was given the ball for 8 Overs. I wasn't really into bowling, but was given the ball by Captain to see how well I can bowl. The 8 Over i bowl i had only given away 21 Runs, but was unable to get a wicket.
Edwards team were bowled out for 351 in 110 Overs.
I was finally given the chance to showcase my talent, but unfortunately this dream ended into a nightmare.
2yvm3di.jpg
I started off very shaky, had two edge which didn't travel to the keeper, but the 3rd one carry straight into the keeper hand. After scoring 3 runs off 15 delivery of playing Defensive, i edge one straight into the keeper hands. I felt so disgusted with myself. Here was the opportunity and i blow it. I moment i waiting for all my life. My Team then got bowl out cheaply for 227, been 124 Runs behind, our bowler had to work hard.
Edwards team started to push on hard, carrying the Lead past 426 before declaring.
Here our team was, with 110 Over to go, 20 Over more in the Day followed by a Whole day of play. I started to play very freely. Smashing the balls all over the place with a healthy Strike rate. I know I had to prove myself here, and try to get close to 400 Runs, to prove I am able to Open for Barbados, in this upcoming session, I had reach to by 50 off 58 Ball, just before Stump on Day 3.
16ksy7b.jpg
Coming back the next day I had a shaky start like what i had in the first innings.
I had faced another 9 delivery before been caught again by the keeper with the same delivery bowled, this time by Tino Best, was caught in two minds this time whether to leave it or defend it, I went for the Defense and the ball toke a fine edge straight to the keeper and i was out for 62 Runs

dzxmk1.jpg

Here i was sitting in the dressing room, thinking did i really blow this match? My team went on to win this impressive Run chase. When i was out the score was 174-2. needing another 243 Runs to win. I wanted to be there for the victory I wanted to win this game to put my name in the books.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Day 9
Rest Day Before the 50 Over Match

TEAM 1 : K Edwards (c) D.R Smith, K Williams, C Brathwaitee, S Dowrich, K Mayers, F Edwards, T Best, S Benn, M Cummins.
TEAM 2 : K Brathwaite (c), O Phillips, Randy wilson, J Carter, K Stoute, A Nurse, J Holder, J Drakes, K Roach, S Brooks, M Nurse.

Here is another Chance to showcase my talent, My target is that Big Century. Playing this Friendly against a powerful side. I will have to go out with confidence facing the line up of Cummins, Benn, Edwards, Best and Brathwaite.

It's going to be a tough Friendly game for me. with 2 more Friendly to go a 3 day Match and one 50 Over, I would have to put my foot down and Play properly with confidence, be given a chance to play for Barbados. I know i can do it, I just have to play my shots and play my own game.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Day 10
OD Friendly

The 50 over Practice Match day have came. I had confidence yet again, that i can do well in this practice match. I felt good today, know this could be my day, a very bright and Sunny day, perfect to play Cricket.
Our Team lost the toss, and we were put to bowl first. I had a great time in the field taking one catch a and fielding a few balls, we had restricted them to 230.

I came in at number 3, as our team was cruising at 60-1. From ball one i had confidence in playing my shots. Late cut, Hitting over the top, Cover driving, I had every shot which i had practice over and over in the nets.
34yvdk3.jpg

I was hitting the ball very clean, without any Mistiming. I could see a Big Score is just around the corner for me.All i had to do is bat on, the run will come. The Confidence I had, were different for this match, unlike the 4 day Match where i was trying to settle down before playing my shots, right here I am just going after the ball.

jtkpxz.jpg

After going at a very good S/R and getting the Runs on the board, I fell cheaply as I try to reserved sweep a Ball, I felt so confidence that i had tried a new shot and Fail. I was disappointed with myself for playing that shot, here i was going very well and spoiled it by playing a shot which i was not accustomed to.
I Was caught behind for 33. Could of gotten more Runs, our Team fell shot of the target by 3 Run we were all out for 227
jf9jpk.jpg

2rwnh9s.jpg

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Out of curiosity - how did you manage to play the spinner behind the wicket?( i.e. controls/triggers you pressed to play that shot) That shot looks very awesome.

33 from 42 balls, not a bad one. It would have been awesome if you would have managed to stay for some more deliveries.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Out of curiosity - how did you manage to play the spinner behind the wicket?( i.e. controls/triggers you pressed to play that shot) That shot looks very awesome.

33 from 42 balls, not a bad one. It would have been awesome if you would have managed to stay for some more deliveries.

U mean the first pic right. What i do is normally front foot slightly away from where the ball will pitch and then timing it late n aim top left for right hander.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
Day 12
Training Day

Another Training day. I felt very good, going into the Plastics match. Before the Net Session Started, our coach came up to me. Giving me some advice, he told me to play my game, just play normal. try my best get all the ball in the middle of the bat. I went into the Net Session , thinking to myself, yes this going to be my best Training session. The Coach had setup a camera to keep track of all of our progress, which he will review with us after the Training.

After the Training the Coach came up to me and said, it was a good session.
The Coach then had given me some details of my performance. What i need to improve is I need to stop rushing into my Shots, I need to stop swing at everything, I also need to add some of those shot selection with defensive shots, reason if i keep playing Aggressive shot, i could of lose my wicket. Play myself in before going for big Shots. In First Class matches I should take as much time as i want to build confidence,look to play into gaps, which is the best way to go. While OD, Defend a few shots in between instead of trying to hit everyone ball for four, look for singles and keep rotating the strike. Keep up the Good work, I had learn a lot. Tomorrow the 3 days Match, followed by one more Practice session, Followed by the Final 50 Over match before going into the Selection.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
If you are continuing to swing at everything, you will surely loose your technique to bat eventually in early career stage. :) Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread