The most SUCCESSFUL batsman of this decade (2000's) discussion.

I personally hate Ponting.
His stats have improved only after Steve Waugh has retired. He made use of his Captaincy.

Sachin, Lara and Dravid have also done well during the span of this 8 years. Though Dravid is not in good form, I always remember him scoring 5 test centuries in a row in 2003-04.

You were going to say that even if the stats weren't provided.

Haha LOL agree even if the stats showed Ponting being 3rd best batsman. He will still disagree. I think Sachin is the best after Bradman and after him is Lara.

To be honest, I would prefer to see the stats with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe matches removed before making any considered judgement.

Some of these players might have played these teams far more than others which will skew the figures unfairly in my opinion

There you go, top averages from 2000 against top 6 test playing nations (Aus, Saf, Ind, Pak, Sri, Eng)
and it gives you even more shocking list.

Code:
S Chandrapaul                 5184 runs @ 58.24, 16 hundreds, 60 Tests
Ricky Ponting		      5548 runs @ 57.19, 20 hundreds, 61 Tests
BC Lara   	              5746 runs @ 55.25  19 hundreds, 57  Tests
V Sehwag                      4449 runs @77.77   12 hundreds, 14 Tests

Full list.

Now top averages from 2000 against all test playing nations except Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Code:
S Chandrapaul                 5184 runs @ 58.24, 16 hundreds, 60 Tests
MEK Hussey                    2582 runs @62.97,   8 hundreds, 29 Tests
RT Ponting                    7754 runs @ 60.57,  28 hundreds, 85 Tests
Mohammad Yousuf               5148 runs @ 56.57   19 hundreds, 57 Tests
JH Kallis                      7135 runs @ 56.18   22 hundreds, 83 Tests

Full list.

So Ponting has been in top form since 2000.

I don't like discounting's the statistics from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe anymore.
For example, Ricky Ponting made a match-winning 100 against Bangladesh to save Australia from a humilating defeat. While in the first innings of that match, Ponting was dismissed by a bouncer that Ponting went back to off a pace bowler that didn't bounce and ended up hitting Ponting on the ankle to dismiss him LBW.

ZoraxDoom said:
Because for me, I want to pick Mohammed Yousuf and Shiv Chanderpaul.
Are you seriously trying to say that Mohammad Yousuf and Shivnarine Chanderpaul are better batsman then Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden and Jacques Kallis? Yousuf and Chanderpaul have only had 1 or 2 good years in International cricket following a competent and consistant careers over a long period of time whilst Ponting, Hayden and Kallis have been great for a long stretch of time.

I don't like discounting's the statistics from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe anymore.
For example, Ricky Ponting made a match-winning 100 against Bangladesh to save Australia from a humilating defeat. While in the first innings of that match, Ponting was dismissed by a bouncer that Ponting went back to off a pace bowler that didn't bounce and ended up hitting Ponting on the ankle to dismiss him LBW.
A little bit OT, but in any further Murali discussion, you just conceded the right to discount Murali's statistics against the minnows.

The reason Bang/Zim statistics are discounted that usually you're going to get an easier game from them than another opposition. There will obviously be exceptions, but you have to be a little more discreet when choosing whether to include them or not, than going by singular instances of innings under pressure.

Are you seriously trying to say that Mohammad Yousuf and Shivnarine Chanderpaul are better batsman then Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden and Jacques Kallis? Yousuf and Chanderpaul have only had 1 or 2 good years in International cricket following a competent and consistant careers over a long period of time whilst Ponting, Hayden and Kallis have been great for a long stretch of time.

Well it can be said that Ponting only became good 8 years ago and struggled for the 5 before that while Lara and Tendulkar were consistent for a longer amount of time.

Shiv started bating well after he had surgery to remove a loose bone in his foot. Before that it caused him allot of discomfort but after he became one of the top batsman in the world.

A little bit OT, but in any further Murali discussion, you just conceded the right to discount Murali's statistics against the minnows.

ahhaha true because that was one of his main arguments in Murli vs Warne threads.

Last edited:
Read my post carefully Aussie. I said the exceeded expectations and performed far better than anyone could have expected. Many times they were left carrying their side on their own, and they maximised their talent. No where did I say they were better batsmen. Skill wise and statistically, there are better, but these two grew to become players I really respect.

And Viru averages 77 against the top 6 nations since 2000, so I guess the discussion should end there? The Monk = Greatest bat since 2000. :cool:

Oooh! Oooh! And the revised stats show I was right about Shiv!! Nice...

sohum said:
Don't need that arguement anyway. Murali would barely average under 30 had the majority of his career been played in Australia. The fact that Warne was able to average so little whilst playing in Australian conditions is a testerment to how good he actually was.

Dare said:
Well it can be said that Ponting only became good 8 years ago and struggled for the 5 before that while Lara and Tendulkar were consistent for a longer amount of time.
Ha. Nice try champ. But no, being dominant for almost a decade isn't classed in the same category as to a batsman who has dominated for 1 or 2 years. Averaging over 40 in Test Cricket isn't struggling either.

Don't need that arguement anyway. Murali would barely average under 30 had the majority of his career been played in Australia. The fact that Warne was able to average so little whilst playing in Australian conditions is a testerment to how good he actually was.
Good for you. Just a pointer that if you try bringing it up again, that I will redirect you back to this thread. Back on topic, now.

The reason Bang/Zim statistics are discounted that usually you're going to get an easier game from them than another opposition. There will obviously be exceptions, but you have to be a little more discreet when choosing whether to include them or not, than going by singular instances of innings under pressure.
Yeah, if you're going to nitpick, you have to consider the entire system. How many players can get Ricky Ponting out without playing Tests? I'm sure there are even a few who got him at club level. How many first class teams are there that are better than Bangladesh or Zimbabwe? The answer is more than 8, yet most of them are discounted from the stats as soon as you mention Test cricket.

The point of it is that you want certainty from statistics and such teams provide a lot of one offs and inconsistencies. You can't bank on one-offs, otherwise we'd all consider Jason Gillespie a better batsman than either Steve Waugh or Jacques Kallis.

Sorry, this isn't a discussion. The original post is more Aussie_Ben Hayden and Ponting propaganda. We know they're class, you don't need to keep mentioning it. Hayden's record away from Aus isn't great in the last few years though, hasn't scored a century away from home since Durban 2006. His record in England and New Zealand isn't great either.

Haha LOL agree even if the stats showed Ponting being 3rd best batsman. He will still disagree. I think Sachin is the best after Bradman and after him is Lara.

Come on if Sachin;s the best then after him comes Ricky Ponting

shubhrayu added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Well here Stats are speaking my words lol

Ha. Nice try champ. But no, being dominant for almost a decade isn't classed in the same category as to a batsman who has dominated for 1 or 2 years. Averaging over 40 in Test Cricket isn't struggling either.

Lara and Tendulkar were dominant for 10 year before ponting even started making his big scores.

Users who are viewing this thread