The most SUCCESSFUL batsman of this decade (2000's) discussion.

Yeah he would have. If you weren't making up fake statistics.

Stats vs Australia, England, India, Pakistan, South Africa & Sri Lanka since 2000
Ricky Ponting - 20 hundreds, 55 matches (2.75 matches per hundred)
Matthew Hayden - 21 hundreds, 63 matches (3.00 matches per hundred)
Brian Lara - 19 hundreds, 57 matches (3.00 matches per hundred)
Mohammad Yousuf - 14 hundreds, 43 matches (3.07 matches per hundred)
Mahela Jayawardena - 15 hundreds, 54 matches (3.60 matches per hundred)

Virender Sehwag - 12 hundreds, 49 matches (4.08 matches per hundred)

Looks like I win again. :)

I think the general consensus is that Ponting and Hayden have inflated records due to playing most of their cricket on very flat Australian pitches.

Have a look at the first class stats of the Australian cricketers not in the Australian team, there are so many batsman who average in the 40's and 50's, and very few bowlers averaging under 30.

The pitches in Australia are the flattest in the world, if you live in Australia and can't see that then you have obviously been spending more time looking at the scoreboard than what is happening on the pitch.

im not too sure, I think Australia has some of the widest varieties of pitches, you have the tremendous bounce of Perth, the Gabba which is known to assist the bowlers, as with Melbourne, Adelaide is a complete road and Sydney spins, many class players have failed in Australia like Graeme Smith

LOL @ claims that Australia has the flattest pitches in the world. That's why so many world-class batsman have failed in Australia, right? If you watched what was happening on the pitch then you'd realise batting in Australia is relatively difficult for top-order batsman and more then less a paradise for middle-order batsman. Watch Tests at the GABBA, WACA and the MCG and the ball is moving around everywhere for the first 20-25 overs.

If anything, Australia's the hardest country to score runs in because the grounds are so big compared to the ones in the West Indies, New Zealand, South Africa, England the subcontient. Hence fours and sixes coming more easily and less emphasis is on running between wickets.

I'm not doubting Hayden's record at home or his accumilation of hundreds, or his class, but from the stats I posted, he clearly struggles away from the familiar decks of Australia. Averaging under 40 in the last 4 years of away tours must prove that. He's only had 3 decent years of Test Cricket away from home, averaging above 60 in all of them, but apart from that he's really struggled. He's got a stunning record in Australia, but on pitches he isn't used to he struggles. The stats are there to prove it.

King Pietersen said:
I'm not doubting Hayden's record at home or his accumilation of hundreds, or his class, but from the stats I posted, he clearly struggles away from the familiar decks of Australia. Averaging under 40 in the last 4 years of away tours must prove that. He's only had 3 decent years of Test Cricket away from home, averaging above 60 in all of them, but apart from that he's really struggled. He's got a stunning record in Australia, but on pitches he isn't used to he struggles. The stats are there to prove it.
The only countries that Hayden hasn't scored 100's in is Bangladesh and New Zealand.

119 vs. India in India (2001)
Notable Bowlers: Javagal Srinath, Harbhajan Singh (at his best)
Cricinfo - 1st Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Feb 27-Mar 1, 2001

203 vs. India in India (2001)
Notable Bowlers: Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh (at his best)
Cricinfo - 3rd Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Mar 18-22, 2001

122 vs. South Africa in South Africa (2002)
Notable Bowlers: Allan Donald, Makhaya Ntini, Jacques Kallis, Andre Nel
Cricinfo - 1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Feb 22-24, 2002

119 vs. Pakistan at Sharjah (2002)
Notable Bowlers: Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar (at his best), Saqlain Mushtaq
Cricinfo - 2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sharjah, Oct 11-12, 2002

100 n/o vs. West Indies in West Indies (2003)
Notable Bowlers: None
Cricinfo - 2nd Test: West Indies v Australia at Port of Spain, Apr 19-23, 2003

177 vs. West Indies in West Indies (2003)
Notable Bowlers: Jermaine Lawson (Took 7fer in the first innings)
Cricinfo - 4th Test: West Indies v Australia at St John's, May 9-13, 2003

130 vs. Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka (2004)
Notable Bowlers: Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralidaran
Cricinfo - 1st Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Galle, Mar 8-12, 2004

138 vs. England in England (2005)
Notable Bowlers: Stephen Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Andrew Flintoff
Cricinfo - 5th Test: England v Australia at The Oval, Sep 8-12, 2005

102 vs. South Africa in South Africa (2006)
Notable Bowlers: Shaun Pollock, Makhaya Ntini, Andre Nel, Jacques Kallis

He may not have the same sort've averages overseas compared to Australia but he has proven that he can make 100's when it counts all over the world against the very best bowlers in the world. You can say the likes of Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar are better then Hayden but the likes of Mohammad Yousuf, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Jacques Kallis haven't made a 100 against Murali in Sri Lanka.

Last edited:
Umm...I'm right about Sehwag:
There you go, top averages from 2000 against top 6 test playing nations (Aus, Saf, Ind, Pak, Sri, Eng)
and it gives you even more shocking list.

Code:
S Chandrapaul                 5184 runs @ 58.24, 16 hundreds, 60 Tests
Ricky Ponting		      5548 runs @ 57.19, 20 hundreds, 61 Tests
BC Lara   	              5746 runs @ 55.25  19 hundreds, 57  Tests
[B]V Sehwag                      4449 runs @77.77   12 hundreds, 14 Tests[/B]

Full list.

Since 2000 he has 12 hundreds in 14 tests against the top 6, so that should make him the best opener in that period...

LOL

That stat is incorrect.

His played 49 Tests against the top 6 nations since 2000 and scored 12 hundreds.

Maybe try looking up your statistics before you post?

You really are an agressive person Ben. What's up with constantly trying to get one up on everyone and being rude? Make you feel a big man?

I personally hate Ponting.
His stats have improved only after Steve Waugh has retired. He made use of his Captaincy.

Sachin, Lara and Dravid have also done well during the span of this 8 years. Though Dravid is not in good form, I always remember him scoring 5 test centuries in a row in 2003-04.

No offense, but I call BS.
I am not a big fan of Ponting as a character, but as a batsmen I reckon he has to win this and I have no idea how one can use one's captaincy to be a better batsman when coming in at first drop. He has gotten better with age. That's why his average has improved. He is an excellent batsman, a reasonably good captain, and an average man.

As much as I love Dravid, his form has been woeful. hopefully he can bat all of tomorrow and shut us critics up.

Anyway, my picks after Ponting would be:
Yousuf
Sangakkara (did i spell that right?)
Chanderpaul
(and Dravid if you excluded the last year or so)

In more recent years, I rate
KP
Hussey
Sehwag (except for that dodgy patch a while back)

no need to disagree with him Ponting is probably the best since 2000, but before that it was Lara and Tendulkar for 10 years before him and during the time when "Ponting was the best" Lara and Tendulkar dominated too.
Plus look at the teams that Tendulkar and Ponting played on and look at what Lara had to play with.

I didn't post them, Vaibhav did. I don't know how he got it...

I don't know how he generated them either, but the rest seem reasonable to me and that one stuck out like a sore thumb. Firstly, why has he only played 14 tests in 8 years against the top nations? Secondly, if he batted twice in each test and was dismissed each time, he would average 158.

I think that since 2000, Ponting has been the best batsman in world cricket, but this is coincidently this is his period of best form. If you look at Lara and Tendulkar between, say 93 and 2003, I suspect they would have smiliar records.

Tendulkar has dominated international cricket steadily for 20 years. Sure he wasn't the best for the last 8, but he's still up there in the top 5. He was the undisputed Champion of the 90's, and still is a force to be reckoned with today. That's enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread