The most SUCCESSFUL batsman of this decade (2000's) discussion.

Some Indian fans don't consider Kumble a world-class bowler ;)

Apparently he's "average" at best.

I have no idea where that came from. We're talking about batsman in the decade and you pull Kumble out of nowhere?

Tbf, you need to get off the Indian cock, Mario.

tbh those stats dont surprise me too much. If anything Pontings form is not dependant on the bowling performance of his side, it is a little bit more influenced by his batting partners but hardly enough to say he performs any better without pressure.

Also if his career in general is not influenced a great deal by the success of his openers then i dont see why the openers record is anything but trivial.

stereotype added 8 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

You miss my point entirely, I would like to know when i said Ponting is confronted with more pressure situations than Sachin or Lara. What i am saying is WHEN he is put under these conditions he still plays as well as he normally does and in some cases those situations bring the best out of him, which really makes any point about the side around him fruitless.

So he never faced Warne or McGrath? He has however face the likes of Ambrose, Walsh, Younis, Akram, Vaas, Pollock, Muralitharan, Kumble etc etc who are world class bowlers and they help construct his career.

Read Rohit, read - stop trying to make yourself sound incredibly stupid :p

Tendulkar, last decade: 7831 runs, average of 54.75
Since 2005: 2101 runs, average of 45.67

Since when was 45.67 lower than 40 zMario? Also, since when did the last decade start from 2005?

Well pointing is the best batsman:cheers in the 2000 series of awards. But the real daddy is Sachin :hpraise

Sachin rulez , specially now that Punter is the bunny of a couple of bowlers :onpc:happy

Actually, I've changed my mind. After seeing Tendulkar bat lately and taking a bunch of other things into consideration, I believe Tendulkar's the best batsman of this generation.

If you say who is the best batsman overall in the last two decades then Sachin and Lara would be at the front of the pack. Ponting has risen a long way from where he was in 2000 as a batsman and if he hasnt passed Tendulkar and Lara yet then he cant be too far off.

Actually, I've changed my mind. After seeing Tendulkar bat lately and taking a bunch of other things into consideration, I believe Tendulkar's the best batsman of this generation.
Who's hijacked your computer?

If Ponting gets through this rough patch of form and the selectors keep faith in him for next year, he will ultimately become the best batsman of this generation.

Ponting wasn't even Australia's best batsman until 2005. Ponting's peak was inbetween the period after Australia lost the Ashes and when they regained them, which was September 2005 to December 2006. In that period he scored 8 or 9 hundreds I think. After winning 5-0 in the Ashes, Ponting's never really looked anything like he once was.

I always tended to think that Hayden was better then Ponting anyway. The 2007 World Cup is a prime example where Hayden and Ponting were at their very best and both scoring a ton of runs and Hayden just looked so much better and more in control.

I don't think Ponting is the best batsman out of that lot. I know, the stats don't lie... But seems like everytime he has batted recently he does something stupid and he's far too shaky early on.

Users who are viewing this thread