Story The Rebel Tour Thread - links to all reports and videos in OP

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@IndieGameDev @funnyadit thanks. Actually playing that game was pretty disappointing... in my batting innings, the AI gave a lot of cheap extras through wides (this is currently my biggest frustration when batting). Then once I was 7 down their fields were just strange, leaving most of the leg side empty so I could smash it there with no risk...

I should have never been as close as 15 runs. It's a bit of a shame really.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Oh, thats total contrary to what we saw in the video though..You have edited really well then :p ...Hope the field settings are made better with patches along with other list of gameplay related stuff which require tweaks..

Keep them coming, the videos are just great to view because they show the beautiful side of the game in the short span of time...Also you play in my fav batting cam the close batsman ..:D

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Oh, thats total contrary to what we saw in the video though..You have edited really well then :p ...Hope the field settings are made better with patches along with other list of gameplay related stuff which require tweaks..

Keep them coming, the videos are just great to view because they show the beautiful side of the game in the short span of time...Also you play in my fav batting cam the close batsman ..:D

I love batting close camera. Couldn't bat in anything else.

I don't feel the need to highlight negatives in the video because it's a story thread, not a review. Also, whatever the issues with the game overall I am having immense fun. I'm already further in to this tour than I ever managed with any tour in DBC14 before franco's hack.

Some people love career, some people just wanna bat or just wanna bowl... I just want to play every delivery of the match, batting and bowling. DBC17 lets me do that better than any other cricket game ever. I'm not gonna go nuts over a few issues that I am confident are being looked at and will be fixed as best they can.

Pat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I love batting close camera. Couldn't bat in anything else.

I don't feel the need to highlight negatives in the video because it's a story thread, not a review. Also, whatever the issues with the game overall I am having immense fun. I'm already further in to this tour than I ever managed with any tour in DBC14 before franco's hack.

Some people love career, some people just wanna bat or just wanna bowl... I just want to play every delivery of the match, batting and bowling. DBC17 lets me do that better than any other cricket game ever. I'm not gonna go nuts over a few issues that I am confident are being looked at and will be fixed as best they can.

Do you set fields while bowling? I have seen they kind of randomly change - how do you overcome this issue? Particularly interested to ask you since you seem to do a lot of bowling in the game.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Do you set fields while bowling? I have seen they kind of randomly change - how do you overcome this issue? Particularly interested to ask you since you seem to do a lot of bowling in the game.

I do. Just persevere and keep doing it until it sticks... sometimes miss it though.

Bowling the 2nd test first morning yesterday, very specifically set 2 slips, gully, point and cover because it's a hard pitch so I want them not playing square and having to drive hoping the bounce catches them...

Get a lovely edge which flies to gully... and there's nobody there. He's down at fine leg having a chat with the deep fine leg. Gutted.

Reactions: Pat

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@IndieGameDev @funnyadit thanks. Actually playing that game was pretty disappointing... in my batting innings, the AI gave a lot of cheap extras through wides (this is currently my biggest frustration when batting). Then once I was 7 down their fields were just strange, leaving most of the leg side empty so I could smash it there with no risk...

I should have never been as close as 15 runs. It's a bit of a shame really.

Field sets are a big let down in DBC 17 as well especially in shorter formats and I have raised a bug about the issue. Whenever the 7th wkt and any further wkts fall, the new batsman is greeted with uber attacking fields. AI simply disregards the match situation and goes with 7-2 sort of fields with leg side nearly empty, especially against spinners. There's no risk playing lofted shots to the leg side and it simply destroys any immersion. At this stage the only meaningful match I can get is if I switch sides at the end of the innings and bat for both the teams (no pun intended) coz 50 or so extras every innings and crazy AI fields doesn't allow you to have decent matches and kills immersion.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Field sets are a big let down in DBC 17 as well especially in shorter formats and I have raised a bug about the issue. Whenever the 7th wkt and any further wkts fall, the new batsman is greeted with uber attacking fields. AI simply disregards the match situation and goes with 7-2 sort of fields with leg side nearly empty, especially against spinners. There's no risk playing lofted shots to the leg side and it simply destroys any immersion. At this stage the only meaningful match I can get is if I switch sides at the end of the innings and bat for both the teams (no pun intended) coz 50 or so extras every innings and crazy AI fields doesn't allow you to have decent matches and kills immersion.

Weirdly I didn't have it in the first ODO where I was also 7 down. Was a pity because it was building to be a great game anyway.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Weirdly I didn't have it in the first ODO where I was also 7 down. Was a pity because it was building to be a great game anyway.

Play more T20s and Odis and you will see more of the same. Sometimes you get the issue when you lose the 6th wkt as well. In shorter formats the AI fields are way too aggressive, especially for spinners. You see fields where only 2 or 3 fielders are outside the fielding circle even though power-play overs are completed. Then you have these 7-2 and 6-3 fields where you can hit through the leg without any problem. AI fields are actually very similar to DBC 14 or have regressed. E.g., in Tests I saw fields with no mid on and I kept on scoring through the area and Ai didn't plug the gap despite me being 100 odd for 1. And when I was 300 odd for 2 AI still had fields with bunch of slips and close-in fielders. You barely see AI opt for defensive fields when the bowling is getting flogged and the match situation calls for it.

AI fields were a concern in DBC 14 and they still are in DBC 17. It's just that there are so many more issues to fix at the moment that we are not even talking about the AI fields and the lack of "AI" in setting fields as per match situation and scenario.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Play more T20s and Odis and you will see more of the same. Sometimes you get the issue when you lose the 6th wkt as well. In shorter formats the AI fields are way too aggressive, especially for spinners. You see fields where only 2 or 3 fielders are outside the fielding circle even though power-play overs are completed. Then you have these 7-2 and 6-3 fields where you can hit through the leg without any problem. AI fields are actually very similar to DBC 14 or have regressed. E.g., in Tests I saw fields with no mid on and I kept on scoring through the area and Ai didn't plug the gap despite me being 100 odd for 1. And when I was 300 odd for 2 AI still had fields with bunch of slips and close-in fielders. You barely see AI opt for defensive fields when the bowling is getting flogged and the match situation calls for it.

AI fields were a concern in DBC 14 and they still are in DBC 17. It's just that there are so many more issues to fix at the moment that we are not even talking about the AI fields and the lack of "AI" in setting fields as per match situation and scenario.

Aye, but as I said the purpose of this thread isn't really a deep review but more the story of the matches. I've certainly reported the fields issue to the guys at BA however. I'm sure it'll be looked at.

Does the game have issues? For sure. Can you still have great fun with it? Hell yeah, as I think the match reports in this thread prove.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Great video Dave, loved the edge to let slip and the boycott short leg catch. Keep it coming.

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Cross-posting from the gameplay videos thread but just want all my rebel vids collected here: this is a video that highlights why i just bloody love bowling in this game.

(and thanks again @Dutch)

That music has been stuck in my head all night ! haha :) Great video.. Bowling is so rewarding in DBC17 :)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Back with a doozy of an update / video...

Match 6 - 2nd (4 day) Test at Newlands

Morning Session: Wow, just wow...
1 down and 2 to play, the Springboks have obviously ordered a result pitch. And after the troubles the English had facing Hobson in the Western Province match, they've decided legspin is the way to get back in the series. With Procter and Le Roux unavailable through injury, a dry/dusty pitch showing signs of cracking already is served up. Hobson joins Kourie to provide a 2nd spinning option in place of Le Roux, and Kuiper replaces Procter, meaning Richards takes over the captaincy.

Neither side would want to bat last on the pitch, so the Springboks were relieved when Richards won the toss and took the simple decision to bat first.

Cook went off quickly, though Richards was uncharacteristically circumspect. Perhaps the weight of captaincy was holding him back, as he'd added just 7 in a score of 29 when he failed to fully commit to a cut from Old and top-edged it through to Knott. Kirsten and Cook both looked solid, and it took a phenomenal catch from Taylor to dismiss Kirsten to leave the Springboks 44/2 as Pollock strode to the wicket.

Pollock was struggling to time his shots, as a couple of cuts he'd usually expect to go for 4 failed to reach the rope. Cook was having no such trouble, as he dominated their partnership and was looking very fluent. Cook raced to 52 off 51 deliveries, but disaster struck the next ball as he got too far across one from Underwood and was bowled off his legs.

Aided by some good fielding, Taylor had kept Pollock very quiet, the legendary batsman having failed to score from any of Taylor's first 10 balls. Something had to give and he really went after the 11th, but could only chip it to cover. South Africa had tumbled to 78/4. Kuiper was counter attacking well, but Rice edged Underwood to Knott to leave the score on 92/5, and Kourie cut Taylor point where he was well taken by Gooch for 1, 97/6! Kuiper survived two huge shouts for LBW, 1 apiece from Underwood and Taylor. Replays suggested he edged the one from Taylor, but was very very lucky to survive the Underwood appeal, which looked plumb. Jennings fell edging Underwood to slip (110/7), and Kuiper's luck run out after hitting a breezy 33 when Taylor nipped one through the gate to knock his off stump out of the ground... 124/8. Jefferies and Van der Bijl both followed quickly trying to slog Underwood, to give the spinner a 5-fer and see South Africa tumbled out in 29 overs for just 127.

How will England fare against Hobson after lunch?

Users who are viewing this thread