The Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Geralt of Revia is back and no-one here noticed it.:p
The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-608x380.jpg

I've just finished the first boss fight against the monster Krayen. It was epic. I don't know why reviewers around the world are whining that this game is too hard and learning curve is steep. I say thats bullshit. If you listen to the conversation and do read the Journal its not that difficult. It just takes few minutes to read the journal. Difficulty is what it should be in a game. If you are moving one from DragonAge2 then you might find it insanely difficult at first. That is purely because DA2 was a crap game. The animations are lucid and graphics are sweet. Combat system has been overhauled and it is now perfect. I found it difficult at the start and died at least dozen times before i figured out how to kill Krayen. The finishing moves are performed really well. So if you wanna see all the cool moves, you better develop your character as a Swordsman. The world is alive and immersion is sick. Ambient sounds of insects and birds, the chatter while you wander around in the city etc are top notch.

This is one of the Best RPG ever released. There are some issues with this one, such as, Sometimes your camera would get stuck and you can just move Geralt. This occurred mostly when you use the Quen Sign. This bug remains untill your Quin vanishes and someone hits you. It gets annoying sometimes but knowing the developers, I'm pretty sure they will fix it ASAP.

Okay, enough rant, off to playing the Witcher2 again. I got monsters to slay :p

P.S: Anyone else played it yet? Love to hear your views on difficulty and Combat system.

gudduthemaster

International Cricketer
i liked the new combat :D ,I felt witcher 1 combat was too boring,this one is fun and skill based :)

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I would have played if I owned a monster of a PC but I will play a toned down version (graphically) on xbox later this year. I will still have a lot of fun since I have a thing for Western RPGs.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Its not western RPG by any means. Its fantasy based on a Polish Novel. And also the developer is Polish ;)

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
By western RPG I mean the one where you don't have to wait for your turn and press some button so your character does some tricks. I think Witcher 2 can be characterized as a Western RPG as it is comparable to likes of Fable and Gothic with real time action unlike J-RPGs.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
I'm rushing through the game at the moment. Playing it 10-12 hours a day for last 3 days. My Fable 3 copy just arrived yesterday. I'm itching to start it but s a rule of thumb, i do not play 2 RPGs simultaneosly

Tanmay

Club Captain
Finished the game already.
No doubt its epic..the decisions in the game are quite tough and result in massive changes in the end,the combat Awesome!!.
A major step ahead of Witcher 1. The graphics are good too even on low specs the game looks quite good.There were a few crashes and bugs in the game but after the v1.2 patch all of them are gone and the game runs more smoothly.

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Would this be good for someone who isn't a massive RPG fan? And how long is the game in total?

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
P.S: Anyone else played it yet? Love to hear your views on difficulty and Combat system.

I love the combat system - most realistic system I've ever came across. But the difficulty in the beginning is such a bitch that I gave up on it. Exams are over, so I may give it another shot sometime soon. Plus, from what I hear from my roomie, it gets easier the more you play it.

And yeah, I know the developer's Polish. That's why it's so cheap to get over here - only 20zl. Compare this to Street Fighter IV, which has been out for some time, and that's 30zl.

More into the latter atm - I'm kicking ass as Ken.

----------

Would this be good for someone who isn't a massive RPG fan? And how long is the game in total?

It's the most impressive game I've ever seen/played. I think anyone would be able to get into it. But it is a long game. And despite what AP says, the difficulty really is a bitch.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
You can always tone down the difficulty but then it wont be as much fun. Defeating the Kayran monster was just some quick siderolls and Quen signs

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Finished the game already.
No doubt its epic..the decisions in the game are quite tough and result in massive changes in the end,the combat Awesome!!.
A major step ahead of Witcher 1. The graphics are good too even on low specs the game looks quite good.There were a few crashes and bugs in the game but after the v1.2 patch all of them are gone and the game runs more smoothly.

Who did ya supported till the end? Rebels or the King. (Don't give any spoiler out :p)

The games like Mass Effect and The Witcher 2 should appeal to any gamer. Both are very different in terms of story as former is a space adventure like star trek but way better and latter is a fantasy/mythological adventure. Both have very strong story lines and beautiful graphics. Voice acting is top notch and NPC are worth listening too. And they are one the best RPG's of all time.
One thing i always hated about Mass Effect is that decisions in it are always on two extremes. Either good or bad. But in Witcher 2 most of the decisions are in the Grey area. More often than not it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils.

Mass Effect 1 and two both were around 30 Hours long even if oyu do all the side quests. Infact it is necessary to do side quests in Mass Effect as they shape up the relationship between your team members and the eventual Suicide mission's outcome.
If you don't do all the upgrades to the Normandy then Shepard won't survive the final battle and would die in the end

The Witcher 2 is around 35 to 40 hours (depending upon which difficulty level you are playing) if you skip all the side quests. If you are a complitionist then you are looking at somewhere near 60 hours.

In terms of game time, Witcher 1 was massive. It was more than 100 hours. :eek:

Tanmay

Club Captain
Who did ya supported till the end? Rebels or the King. (Don't give any spoiler out :p)

I supported the King. Should probably start the second playthrough today. The main story in TW2 is much shorter than TW1 thats one drawback,other than that TW2 is great

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Flinging hell. Just realized that my computer is capable of running the game on Ultra settings(ubersampling off) comfortably and give 60+ FPS. Just a few more quest left in the Chapter 3 now, So i was played 95% game in shitty graphics :facepalm

Lesson learned, never trust autodetect :mad

Tanmay

Club Captain
Flinging hell. Just realized that my computer is capable of running the game on Ultra settings(ubersampling off) comfortably and give 60+ FPS. Just a few more quest left in the Chapter 3 now, So i was played 95% game in shitty graphics :facepalm

Lesson learned, never trust autodetect :mad

Your config mate?

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
ATI 4890 1gb.
E8400 3.0 Ghz
4 Gb RAM

Just finished the game. Absolutely stunning finale. Yet there are a lot of questions left unanswered and i cant bet they gonna release a few expansion packs too.
I was supporting the rebels and in the end i felt sad for Geralt. Its a really dark story. Everyone has some agenda. Betrayals, Backstabbing were just too much. Was that the case for supporting the King too?
And here are some questions which were left unasnwered, did your playthrough ended any differently?
* Did you find Yennifer? I didnt
* Did the Witcher recovered his memory completely by using the Rose of Remembrance? In my case that never happened.
* In the end i killed the Dragon and the Letho. What did you do?

Damn i now got time to think about how each and every decision has affected the story. In the dungeon i spared the life of Philipa. So she told me about the Yennifer. But this resulted in her calling the Saskia in dragon form which wrecked havok. So if i hadn't done this she couldn't call the dragon but i would get the information about the Yennifer then. :facepalm
Just a simple example how everything is webbed in this game. And hats off to Roche. He's a real friend, I choose Ivorvith but later in the game Roche helped Geralt like a true friend.

Users who are viewing this thread