Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Hahahaha! I actually laughed out loud at the Avroneel bit! Awesome update Tom, best in a long time. The Norfolk bit also made me laugh a lot.

You've scored your runs in quick time. Glamorgan can still make a competitve score if you bat for most of the innings Tom.

Good update :)

Great update Tom. I'm more interested in if Trev is gay rather than your 50 :p I think you will get 72.

I believe you'll a ton tom. Or 76. :p Don't know why.. But what about that Paraglider man? :D..

KBChandraw added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

In the whole involvement, i forgot this is a story and I am believing this is just real.. Great writing. :D..

Yep. It is a bumper update. I have also updated it twice and PC has crashed both times on me losing about 4 hours work in total. I should get it done in the next few hours. Please bear with me :)

Yep. It is a bumper update. I have also updated it twice and PC has crashed both times on me losing about 4 hours work in total. I should get it done in the next few hours. Please bear with me :)

No problem Tom. I know it's take a long time to have quality update and moreover to play the game. So don't worry. We will follow it.

Honours Even!!!
Cricket20052009-01-1612-36-27-22.jpg

"Hands up who think Baker is getting out now and he plays for a team of bottlers?"

"Hands up who think that Graeme Swann is a pie chucker and couldn't get a wicket if his mother was the umpire."

"Shut it kid, what do you know about cricket?"

"Enough to realise that your skip doesn't trust you enough to bowl you against me ;)"

Rich cracked up at this. Swann was trying to put me off over in the slips and Ealham was also giving me a bit of chat. To be honest I have had a lot worse said to me. Some would say on the receiving end but that only applies to Jack and Mani *cough cough* ;) At this stage the umpire suddenly halted play as his mobile started ringing. WTF he was doing I did not know. I was on 49* and he was making the wait even longer :rolleyes: He was talking about getting blinds for his lounge!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Oy, twinkletoes. There is a match you know!!!"

Eventually the moron put his phone away, and we were able to continue. Ealham came running in and caught me by surprise by a bouncer. I tried to pull it, but was late on the shot. it flew up in the air, over Read's head :hpraise and down to the fine leg boundary. Not the most graceful way to reach my first half-century of the season, but I would take it. Rich came down to shake my hand, and I raised my bat, to acknowledge the applause from my team mates and the crowd. I couldn't really let myself celebrate as there was still a long way to go.

Cricket20052009-01-1818-14-01-16.jpg

For the next few overs, myself and Rich were just content to keep the scorecard ticking over. We weren't going to try anything silly. We knew that there were still plenty of overs to go and so we did not have to try and start smacking the ball out of the park just yet. The fact that the Notts bowlers were unable to get a breakthrough, really began to frustrate them and so they started trying to bounce us out. This was fine by me as I was moving all over my crease, so I just kept on using the pace of the ball, which frustrated them even more till they were red in the face :D I must admit I was surprised with Chrs Read that he had not introduced spin into the attack. It would have been something different and meant that us batsmen would have to start trying to manufacture shots to score runs. I wasn't going to complain though ;)

At the end of the 29th over, the umpires called drinks and the twelfth man, Adam Shantry, came on with them, and also a message :spy

"The coach says you guys are doing really well. He wants you to aim to start hitting out in about 5-7 overs time, and until then you are just to keep on with more of the same. Just make sure you don't get out."

Orders so easy that an Aussie could understand what to do ;) The partnership between myself and Richy was nearly 20. Glamorgan were currently on 151/5, so we would need at least another 100 runs, to have a good competitive total to defend.

Cricket20052009-01-1818-18-45-09.jpg

For the next few overs, we did exactly what was asked of us. I hit a few boundaries when the oppurtunity presented itself and Rich hooked Ealham for a massive six which set him chuntering away to himself. Apart from that, things got a wee bit dull. I was almost tempted to start some sledging just to get a bit of spark into the game. This was the calm before the storm. All of a sudden, I heard an alarm in the distant.

"Ah crap. That's my car alarm!!!"

It turned out that a seagull had been flying overhead, but had collided with the gay wing-glider, Chris Griffin, from earlier on. This sea-gull appeared to have gone mad and was attacking my Punto and it looked like it might have been trying to mate with it :eek: I later found out that a passing Glamorgan fan shot it with a paintball gun and the seagull flew away. As it was flying away, it swooped down, picked up some boy called Kieron and took him away to his magical cave, never to be seen again.

Enough of the parallel world, this was Nottingham, not Glamorgan and my car was not even here. That was a good way though to fill up a few overs of boredom.

Eventually a wicket broke through the boredom :( It wasn't me though, which was a good thing :cool: Ealham had been getting more and more pissed off with Rich and eventually he got his revenge. A well disguised slower ball by the ex-England man, caugh Rich un-aware as he casually drove at it and spooned it to Ashwell Prince in the covers. We really did not need that as it broke the partnership, and I had been planning on going on the attack the very next over.

Cricket20052009-01-2000-11-35-24cop.jpg

Tango Tom was the new man at the crease now. Always good for a laugh, Tommy boy has a lot of potential with the bat so hopefully me and him could score some runs together,

Sup Tom. Ready to either piss these Notts boys off, or just get a duck and piss the coach off? :p

"Hmm, pissing the coach of is fun, but I think this time around I want some of the glory."

"Fair enough, suppose you can try and get some of the fame which follows me around ;)"

"Whatever, big head :p"

The plan was for now Tom, to just give me the strike and let himself settle in. I meanwhile, would go on the attack and try and get Ealham to have some sort of early heart attack :p This plan did seem to work. Tom pretty much took a single whenever he was facing and I concentrated on moving the scoreboard along. This did work until Tango Tom got big-headed. He decided he wanted in on the act. He felt he was set and could now look to strike the ball confidently enough to up the run-rate.

Big mistake.

Tom attempted to hoike, Shafayat straight over cow corner. For some reason though he decided to let go off the bat and it flew straight out of his hands. The ball meanwhile came flying off the splice and went straight to Graeme Swann at mid-on. I was not at all pleased, as we were now 7 down with still a lot of overs to go. I had been trying to get Glamorgan to a good score, but Tom had just not been thinking straight when he hit that shot.

Cricket20052009-01-2000-20-49-63.jpg

Luckily I was now batting with the experienced Crofty. With Crofty being the last recognised batsman, it put our plans of an aggressive finish on hold. We decided that I would tone it down till the 40th over and Crofty would just rotate the strike and get himself set in. This way when the 40th over arrived, he would be seeing the ball ok, and we could both go on the attack and hopefully get Glamorgan past 250 with a cameo finish.

The plan worked :) I kept finding the gaps with boundaries still appearing, whilst of the 9 balls Crofty faced, he plucked a single of every single one. It was perfect team-work and by the time of the 40th over, we were now 211/7 and looking in a slightly better position. Now it was make or break time, we would really have to score some runs now.

"You ready to do this big man?"

"As ready as David was when the English appeared over the hills"

"Errr.....yeah, ok......"

Welshmen.......:rolleyes:

Cricket20052009-01-2000-27-25-32.jpg

Shafayat and Sidebottom were given the wonderful task of bowling to myself and Crofty in these final few overs. I personally never thought of Sidebottom as a death bowler. Someone like Flintoff, bowls at the death for England, but Sidebottom is just a bit too slow and doesn't really have a good enough yorker, in my humble opinion, to be an effective option in the final few overs. I wasn't going to complain though and straight away I took to Sidebottom, crashing a length ball straight back over his head for 4. Thank you very much. Crofty also joined in on the act, by smacking boundaries left, right and centre. It was great feeling to see the lads up on the balcony constantly on their feet. Play even got briefly halted as Crofty lost the ball when he hit Shafayat out of the ground and the last place that ball was seen, was on a NASA screen as it went into orbit :cool:

In the end Read, called a convention between the Notts senior players. I decided that myself and Crofty could have a little discussion,

"We're doing well big man, we need to keep this up :)"

"Never look for the splinter in another man's eye when you have a plank of wood tied to your back."

"Errr....yeah Crofty, whatever you say."

Once again. Welshmen.........:rolleyes:

Cricket20052009-01-2000-28-11-34cop.jpg

Things suddenly got loads better for us. I managed to injure Shafayat. I came wondering down the pitch and smacked a full toss straight back at him. It cracked off his knee and he went down in a great bundle of arms and legs. It looked bloody painful, and I went down to make sure the guy was ok. He was definetly not going to be able to bowl his final over, but would be able to bat. I apologised to him, but he waved it away. I respected him a lot for doing that, it would have been easy to try and start a fight but he was sensible about it, and accepted that accidents sometimes happen in cricket.

This did mean one thing though. Graeme Swann, the man who had been sledging me to no end was now going to have to bowl one over to make up the number of required overs.

It was time for revenge but also time for me to make my maiden century............

Animation1-9.gif

Nice cliffhanger at the end. I rule over the paralell world!!! That seagull is my minion just giving me a lift back to my secret location.

Epic climax :D. Will Tom Baker make his maiden century? Or will he taste bitter defeat at the hands of Graeme Swann? I lol'd at the Kieron being taken away thing, for the better imo :D. Also nice one on slipping a couple of welshmen comments in :D:D. Also well done on injury Shafayat. Great update, fun read.

I was loling all the way through that. Loved the Welsh jokes too. :D Go on Tom, get your century!

Users who are viewing this thread