Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Kent Slump to a Poor Total

Up on the balcony I was watching Niall and Martin batting, praying they would be able to work some magic and get us to a respectable score. I was confident that both had the potential to score big knocks, but whether they actually could, remained to be seen. Niall was still pretty new at the crease and was just trying to settle in. Martin was looking very confident and was timing the ball well. Martin had missed out on a half-century quite a few times this season, and we were all hoping he could reach his first milestone of the season in this match.

Slowly he neared his 50. Up on the balcony we were all watching with baited breath. Finally, Martin advanced down the pitch and hit a massive six to bring up his half-century in magnificent style :happy Up on the pavillion we were all cheering as he took of his helmet and raised his bat. It had been a top class knock in some horrendous conditions and we all appreciated the determination shown by him.

50.jpg

As everyone calmed down, I had a chat with David,

"What do you reckon of Martin and Niall's chances of making a big score?"

"I think there is a good chance they can get us pass 225. As long as they don't do anything stupid, we shouldn't be in any problems."

"Yeah, Martin has looked in good form."

Slowly the partnership grew mainly from the bat of Martin. Niall was focusing on rotating the strike and was letting Martin advance the score, nice and easy. I went into the depths of the changing rooms to rummage around in my bag to find some more bandages for my leg for extra support when I was bowling. I was about 5 minutes and heard a lot of commotion. I was assuming Martin had hit a few boundaries. However, when I returned I received a massive shock :eek: Both Martin, Niall and Cooky had all been dismissed in just 5 minutes :eek::eek::eek:

"WTF has happened?"

No one replied and there was a feeling of stunned amazement as to how we had lost 3 wickets so quickly. Because I wasn't going to get any answers from any team mmbers, I had a look at the TV. Niall had been run out trying to go for a second run to keep Martin on strike. Martin had then perished when he tried to go big but was caught on the rope :( Cooky had then been dismissed for a golden duck. No one could believe it. Just a few minutes ago we had been looking in a semi-decent position. Now we were in big trouble :mad The Scotland team were ecstatic.

Background-2.jpg

This now meant that Jimmy and Amjad were out there batting. We couldn't really expect much from them considering most of the team had failed, what chance did our number 9 and 11 have? However, these two surprised us all with a very nice 30 run partnership to actually make our total not that bad. Jimmy hit some cracking shots and does have a lot of potential as an all-rounder and hopefully England will see this. Amjad did his job and hit a couple of boundaries. Jimmy did eventually lose his wicket but it was 30 more runs than we could have expected and it made the team feel slightly better.

"So Darren. What do you rate of our chances?"

"I dunno Tom, it is going to be close. Hopefully you bowlers can do what the Scots have done, except quicker."

This match was set to be a tight finish. Being bowled out, off only 31 overs was very annoying though :mad

Cricket20052008-04-0620-08-08-42.jpg

Martin had played really well for his half-century and without him we wouldn't even be in this match. His 58 had come of just 48 balls and he had been the only batsman to show any resistance in the face of a spirited Scottish bowling attack. He had been involved in 6 partnerships :eek: and we all owed him a lot for his knock. We had been going at a very nice run-rate considering the poor conditions but had just lost our wickets too quickly. Once again this run-rate was down to Martin's quality knock.

"Hey Martin! Superb knock mate, that was a relly great job you did out there. We all owe you one."

"Cheers Tom. It was hard work out there. I'm sure you bowlers can do an even better job out there."

"Yeah, let's hope so...."

I did want to perform with he ball, as I had let myself down slightly with the bat and my bowling had not been too good recently, especially after the disastrous last over in the match against Warwickshire.

Cricket20052008-04-0620-08-17-56.jpg

In the changing rooms as we prepared to go out, David and Graham tried to rally us up. Graham gave a very passionate speech about how he believed in the quality of this team, and that our quality would show against such a weak batting line-up. As we all headed out to field after a quick refreshement we all felt a lot more confident. I WAS DUE TO BOWL WITH THE NEW BALL and I was determined to impress. Scotland needed 185 runs to win at 4.11/per over. This was going to be one tight match. At least the crowd would enjoy themselves.

Cricket20052008-04-0620-08-29-64.jpg

Poor total from Kent! :( They need a great bowling performance to claw this one back!

Scotland have a good chance of winning, but I think Kent will be too strong on a green wicket. Tom's chance to shine!

Hmmm... this could be pretty close! Lets hope you work wonders with the new ball - could be quite a challenge with your bad leg! Good luck! :)

Yeah really a poor total by Kent ...you all need to bowl really well to win the game...

Great update and presentation:clap

Fantastic by Scotland to get Kent out inside their overs but really it's a slow pitch according to SIR Tom Baker, so really that might be a good score on that pitch. Kent do have to bowl well still and I think SIR Baker shouldn't bowl:p, just to make sure Scotland don't win.

Brilliant presentation once again, great reading and stunning graphics, keep up the good work!:)

great knock by martin to keep you guys alive in the match and now tom can be a hero with the ball. great presentation keep it up mate:hpraise

Poor total by Kent. You should thank Martin alot as he saved Kent with a fabulous innings. I t will be a tight contest but I think that Scotland will emerge victorious.

Great works Tom. Great detail and great graphics. :clap

Terrible performance by the team there, Kent need to do wonders with the ball if they are going to win this, KUTGW Tom.

Bad batting display from Kent, but it could just be enough to win the match.

Users who are viewing this thread